OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
POSSIBLE SPOILERS

I got bored, so I thought other Persona 4 fans might enjoy this:
[youtube]463Us587Z9o[/youtube]
Now, most of you who've played Persona 4 should know this song well. However, I decided to analyze the lyrics, because when you get the lyrics you appreciate the song more (Mainly because those of you who have played P4/3 will know that Shihoko Hirata doesn't have the best English, so her songs tend to be in slight Engrish):
Can't get my mind out of those memories
Now I'm trying to tell them, "Don't take my dream."
Still the music keeps on turning me from the words that hurt my soul,
Removing them from my mind.
Those long days passing by from the door
Like late Summer they slowly fade away.
Find your way through the favorite tunes playing all day in my soul
(Repeat 2):
Find your way through the favorite tunes filling me with love sounds
(Note, I didn't look that up, so the lyrics may be a little off)

This song is completely about Nanako. The first two lines are referring to her dead mother who she lost at a young age, and her fleeting memories of her mother that she tries not to forget.

The third, fourth, and the seventh and eight lines refer to the Junes theme, and how she would listen to it since it reminded her of the days of her childhood when she, her father, and her mother would all go together. It soothes her, and that's why she loves it so much. It also helps to soothe her lonliness and anguish from being alone.

The fifth and sixth lines refer to her father never being there, always having to work and never having time for her. This goes back to how she would listen to Junes to soothe the pain.

This also helps to explain the MC's significance to her. She has no one, and the MC is nurturing her. Despite calling him "Big Brother", he is more like a mother to her than anything. He goes to Junes with her, he spends time with her, he loves her, and he stands up for her when Ryotaro gets angry. He is basically the light in the darkness of her life.

GameWinner

Take your heart
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
W-what? I never really paid that much attention to the lyrics while playing. All I knew was that this song was about Nanako..

Sylar1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought everyone knew it was about Nanako, mainly because every dungeon is based around the person that gets thrown in.

GameWinner

Take your heart
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
prowler_ said:
You picked the most annoying song out of them all, congrats.
I think it's the best dungeon theme. The most annoying I'd say is probably Kanji's Sauna Junes.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdE_hgwDSmE[/youtube]

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
emigre said:
I really like Persona 4 but I draw a line at analysing the bloody songs. Next you'll be analysing the lyrics New Order songs.
Well many people can't understand the lyrics and that's the only song that's truly "analysis" worth. It wasn't even a real analysis, I just explained the lyrics.

Also, I think Shoji Meguro is a genius.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, Japanese games have deep music.

[youtube]9v-9BBiC0VU[/youtube]

Ultra deep.

And I'm even starting to get sick of Persona when every person here does nothing but wank over it. I enjoyed Persona 3 Portable and everything but really, people only obsess over it.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
emigre said:
I really like Persona 4 but I draw a line at analysing the bloody songs. Next you'll be analysing the lyrics New Order songs.
I need to buy you a drink sometime
LbbsC.gif

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't really see how this is obsessing. I just got bored so I decided to list and explain the lyrics, which are in Engrish (seriously, if someone "Pursuing My True Self" the first time around they deserve an award).

Really though, despite loving the P4 OST, part of me wishes the soundtrack was completely in Japanese. The reason for this is because the English slightly hinders the performance of the Soundtrack, and after listening to "Never More" I know that Hirata is a very good singer when singing in Japanese. It's good in Engrish, too, but it's just a thought.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
machomuu said:
Really though, despite loving the P4 OST, part of me wishes the soundtrack was completely in Japanese..
This is why you're a weeaboo.

The English gives it a more classier feel, I really couldn't imagine it in Japanese and it would completely ruin it.
A good example would be the Persona 4 cartoon trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3v-QP6MCAA

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
prowler_ said:
emigre said:
I need to buy you a drink sometime
LbbsC.gif
That gif reminded me of this

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4M-HYusRpQ&feature=related[/youtube]

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
prowler_ said:
machomuu said:
Really though, despite loving the P4 OST, part of me wishes the soundtrack was completely in Japanese..

The English gives it a more classier feel, I really couldn't imagine it in Japanese and it would completely ruin it.
I had a feeling you'd say that.

However, I'm not a weeaboo. It'd be funny if I were, though. Besides, I said part of me, there was no specification of how much, it could be very little.

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bah, don't mind it - I LOVE the OST to most Atlus games, including Persona 3 and 4. (Also, Devil Summoner 2!) Persona 3 is one of my favorite games of all time.

That being said, I love "Heaven" - have you heard the arranged ost version? I found it to be more enjoyable than the original. That being said, my favorite Dungeon music is probably Long Way

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
prowler_ said:

I am eternally hard for you.

And analyzing the background music of a video game is definitely obsession.

Or maybe it's just a cult classic? Sorry, that's a different joke for a different thread.
WTF are you talking about, this is the EoF, so it definitely belongs here.

Anyway, that was just an explanation. Nothing less, likely nothing more.

Besides, I don't really find Video Game music to defer much from other music (not enough to be considered separate).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went to auction at a mom/pops video game store few months ago that was closing, and bought 11 slims for $200, 1 was DOA but 10 work fine. so hella deal. Already rgh3'ed 8 of them. But most younger kids don't even want anymore, unless it plays stupid "fortnight", or newer shit.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Think I'm gonna use my giftcard balance on a nice pair of headphones but $100 is still limited
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soundcore q30s are nice but they leak so much sound it sounds like speakers
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Ken spend the 100 on a gun and skii mask, wait for a jogger at the park jewelry money and headphones!
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If only Amazon sold guns
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking dick heads think it's a bad idea to get a gun 2 days later
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wait, I thought you were the dickhe...nvm
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got balls on my chin and two dicks on my forehead sir
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sorry, no offense there double dickhead chinballs.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Chicks still love it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Mommy, look, what is that?". "That's your soon to be daddy."
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That you'll only see once
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Double dickhead chinballs is still better than double dickhead eyeballs.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    As in, the balls will grow in your eye sockets.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I paid 5 grand to get them moved to my chin
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    This you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My hair can't be that cool
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Ah, yes, portrait mode, surely the best way to film a row of people. If only there were some way to fit a wider shot, at the expense of height... if only...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    4k portrait mode?
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/Rx-KuevU4h4?si=1MoSvL-y5fFFHf58 Damn kinda sad for Iran