Hacking Hardware Picofly - a HWFLY switch modchip

Danook28

Trophies
XP
Country
Oman
I think dat0 adapter is now fine for mmc chip.cut from left and right.

Attachments

• 20230526_0716_001_0.000.jpg
    20230526_0716_001_0.000.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 30

abal1000x

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I check it and resolder, and the same result.

I have two mosfet too, but not confident enough to work with xD
3.png

Seems like still Short Circuit.

To make sure, test it using resistance or diode mode whether its connected or not, before connecting the power (battery or usb).

SorataVP69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I am trying to place the picofly in my oled switch, I have an error in the clk or the CMD, the leds are really very similar. The detail is that if I measure the clk with the multimeter it gives me a value of approx 600kohm and if I measure the CMD it gives me a value of approx 600kohm, the measurements were made without any cable, are these values ok? What do you recommend I do to make the picofly work on my oled switch? I'm using the 2.67 firmware.
Help :(

Reactions: Danook28

jadehawk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From the installation guide at https://gbatemp.net/download/a-definitive-picofly-install-guide.37968/download :

"If the LED flashes Red once, GREAT, you don't need to do anything special, however, if you see a single Green flash, then you need to permanently bridge the RGB jumper with solder on the rear of the RP2040"

Then the picture shows how to bridge GP25 to GND (not sure why the guide talks about a "RGB jumper", GP25 is not connected to anything on the RP2040 zero).

Anybody knows why? My guess would be that the firmware attempts to detect if it's running on a pi pico or not by checking GP25, which is connected to the onboard LED of the pi pico, but floating on the RP2040 zero.

Is it better to bridge it anyway, even if we get the red LED flash?

The correct way to turn the rp2040 into usb mode is by pressing the boot button then power it on the usb. (CMIIW)

In the first development of the firmware, the diagnostic code are coded by color. Rp2040-zero have 2 kind of type of led in the market. One is RGB and the other is GRB something like that. So the color code is green according to the normal one, become red to the others. That is why there is bridge, so for GRB, the color code will be shifted so the color remains the same.

But..... It is now deprecated.
Color is ambigue, cyan and blue is similar, lot of people misunderstand the color. Also theres only 7 distinguished color, so its difficult to diagnostic lot of condition. Then the diagnostic code change from color to pulse (like morse code), in the new firmware.

BTW, in your video, its the normal rp2040-zero. The first color is blue. Its already correct. (CMIIW)

Reference:
* The code that throws blue in the first time picofly boot
https://github.com/rehius/usk/blob/7160263347b5f6e2abdcc2b84905336e4886b4d5/main.c#L105

for first time boot its opened automatically so no need to press anything just plug like normal usb flashdrive, if you want to reflash then need to press boot otherwise nothing opened

yes youre doing it correctly
Thank you everyone for the info.

Jorian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France

Takezo-San

Trophies
XP
Country
Seychelles
woops had it on 2k setting, turned it 20k and got 9.95k...and 200k mode gets me 10k. Alright, thanks again. And that size is definitely 0201!?

Edit - Yep its definitely 0201 (compared it to a spare 0201 cap I had. Right, ordering some 10k Resistors now.)
Edit - Also went ahead and ordered some 1Ks too for when re-attempting the mosfets but readied with pull down Resistors too.

......Now we wait.......
Ok so installed the missing 10k Resistor today and.....still nothing. BSOD! Replaced a missing cap on the APU and removed all the lingering wires from the Pico install from the various points too. IPA cleaned it all over but still nothing. I'm literally fresh out of ideas and now thinking of buying a voltage injection/thermal cam to diagnose it but I wanted to ask, will the BSOD be because of a short or will I be wasting my money? Also, if anyone cares to have another look at the amended, but still BSOD, board. Thar she blows:

Edit: Found some scratched of mask under the battery connector from my foolish way use of tweezers to connect/disconnect the battery. And done some tests. Also removed the solder mask near the rst point on the resistors but got nothing. just cleaning up everything i can.

Attachments

• 20230526_064022.jpg
    20230526_064022.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 25
  • 20230526_094632.jpg
    20230526_094632.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 29
  • 20230526_093913-min.png
    20230526_093913-min.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 24
Last edited by Takezo-San,

QuiTim

Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Ok so installed the missing 10k Resistor today and.....still nothing. BSOD! Replaced a missing cap on the APU and removed all the lingering wires from the Pico install from the various points too. IPA cleaned it all over but still nothing. I'm literally fresh out of ideas and now thinking of buying a voltage injection/thermal cam to diagnose it but I wanted to ask, will the BSOD be because of a short or will I be wasting my money? Also, if anyone cares to have another look at the amended, but still BSOD, board. Thar she blows:
I went back and read most of your posts and I don't think you have a short.
While bsod might be a result of a previous short it's unlikely that you have one now.
Maybe this has already been suggested but I would go on and solder back Pico with latest firmware and see if by any chance it boots to hekate.
IMO it has to be related to emmc especially if you consider the fact that this issue started when you booted the switch with 2.72 fw that had an issue with clk which should be responsible for synchronising the writing between pico and emmc.

Danook28

Trophies
XP
Country
Oman

Tearn it on see the ic power max chip is it hot by toach it with fingers littel bit. Or read capacitor resistor if there short.

If you can try hwfly lite chip on lite console well see hekate and open cfw.

Takezo-San

Trophies
XP
Country
Seychelles
I went back and read most of your posts and I don't think you have a short.
While bsod might be a result of a previous short it's unlikely that you have one now.
Maybe this has already been suggested but I would go on and solder back Pico with latest firmware and see if by any chance it boots to hekate.
IMO it has to be related to emmc especially if you consider the fact that this issue started when you booted the switch with 2.72 fw that had an issue with clk which should be responsible for synchronising the writing between pico and emmc.
aaahhhhh so you reckon it was mid write and then because of the faulty frimware i chose to use, it doesn't know any real boot anymore. Is that the jist of it? Also will go back to 2.67 because that worked for me previously and its well known to work. Ok, i'll give it a try.

QuiTim

Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
aaahhhhh so you reckon it was mid write and then because of the faulty frimware i chose to use, it doesn't know any real boot anymore. Is that the jist of it? Also will go back to 2.67 because that worked for me previously and its well known to work. Ok, i'll give it a try.
Yes, that is what i'm thinking. But I would still go with 2.73 since it has a way more advanced diagnistics. Or you could try 2.67 and then 2.73, up to you.

abal1000x

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
My assumption of BSOD means the processor can't run. It could be anything, from voltage is not supplied to the cpu, or ram doesn't work, or emmc doesn't work, so the cpu couldn't run the code.

If you use 2.73 what is the error code. Picofly have checking on d0 voltage, clk voltage, cmd voltage, and the flow like check whether the emmc initialize, then writing on them, then reading from them. Its a valuable code. For example if the cmd voltage error then theres something wrong with the emmc.

FreeLander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello. There's Something that confuses me about MOSFETs. Our man R recommends using the caps from an RP2040 in case APU caps were damaged, but Voltar removes the caps and solders directly to the pads.

I'd prefer removing the caps too, but I don't get the contradiction here. The guide says "you're probably fine without the caps" This probability increases the confusion.

abal1000x

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Hello. There's Something that confuses me about MOSFETs. Our man R recommends using the caps from an RP2040 in case APU caps were damaged, but Voltar removes the caps and solders directly to the pads.

I'd prefer removing the caps too, but I don't get the contradiction here. The guide says "you're probably fine without the caps" This probability increases the confusion.
Those caps is not essential i guess. Only to smooth the signal.
Its like helmet for a soldier, it is not necessary, but without it, you wont have some kind of protection.

i am interest on @jkyoho explain about this kind of stuff, you are more expert in this field.

QuiTim

Trophies
XP
Country
Albania

Those caps is not essential i guess. Only to smooth the signal.
Its like helmet for a soldier, it is not necessary, but without it, you wont have some kind of protection.

i am interest on @jkyoho explain about this kind of stuff, you are more expert in this field.
This has been previously discussed. As abal1000x said, caps smooth the signal. Although they seem to not matter in most of the cases it was suggested that if you play a game/app that has a high resource demand the APU might experience unexpected behavior due to these caps not being present.
I don't remember seeing any post where this happened, but then again, if it is an unexpected behavior that we are expecting how can we know what it was :D

Reactions: bilalhassan341

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Reminds me of that one Spanish guy who was in here a week or so ago, that wouldn't translate their messages.
  • Arne214 @ Arne214:
    ok sry
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I don't remember him
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @SylverReZ Si means yes, no means maybe
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Arne214, it's fine but dont ask for roms here again
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, I only know very little Spanish, haven't done it in 5 years lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, que tan poco?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I took 3 years of Spanish in high school, ages ago but don't remb most of it. Like they say, if you don't use it, you lose it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, A bit. I only know greetings and some other parts. Its quite an easy language to learn.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    But I don't remember most of it.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, easy to learn despite having some relatively complex rules
    +1
  • D @ dadadad:
    Should I just accept that I won't play this game anymore, or is there a way to solve this problem?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    For some reason I remember a bunch of swear words tho, lol
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, cuz we swear more than talk normally i guess
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @dadadad I would do like @The Real Jdbye said, they are very wise.
    +2
  • D @ dadadad:
    блядь
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You get your nap today?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With your wife
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Tell that B to bring me home some dinner, when you done with her...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mrs.B is what I call her she said she left you a $10 jack in the box giftcard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh ok, cool thanks, I found it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hey Kennyboy, have you found any decent mini Pc for around $200-250? Fast enough to play most Pc games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd say save another $100 anythtwith 8core upgradeable ram I'm thinking about ordering the acemagic still
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'd say save another $100 anythtwith 8core upgradeable ram I'm thinking about ordering the...