Hacking Hardware Picofly - a HWFLY switch modchip

Viktorsilva

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Decided to use a thin wire for the 3.3v connection, because I had a mishap trying to do it with a thicker wire. The wire broke off when I was putting the heatsink back on and ended up cover the area with solder, which when I wicked it away had also removed the capacitors. I ended up soldering different size capacitors because that's what I have on hand. Just want someone to confirm the capacitors used on my V1 Switch and a thin wire for power is alright? I knocked off the 10nf cap and the one that goes to the 3.3v line. I was able to solder the larger 10nF I had by scrapping away some surface and solder it that way, but the 3.3v cap is listed as either 1uF or 2.2uF and I went with the 2.2uF. Is that fine for my Switch? I haven't plugged in the Switch yet because I'm waiting for a new microscope to come in so I can actually see what I did. The picture quality of my current scope is just trash.
I stopped using that 3.3v point on v1&v2 because it is very fragile. Just go for the 3.3v on nand. it´s a double pad to solder in.Mutch easier and solid work.
Post automatically merged:

I’m using hotplate just the normal PTC plate 450w. 😅 150x90mm size and max temp of 200deg +/-15.

0201s takes a lot of time to assemble. In 3hrs+ i just manage to assemble only 15pcs. Next time ill just use the 0402 variant.

View attachment 424293
View attachment 424296
congratulations, wonderfull work :)

Dukenukemx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I stopped using that 3.3v point on v1&v2 because it is very fragile. Just go for the 3.3v on nand. it´s a double pad to solder in.Mutch easier and solid work.
Wish I knew before making all these mistakes. The RP2040-Tiny seems to work and I'm now able to write to the nand without errors. Tried to rebuild the nand after watching the video and I'm still stuck at the Switch logo. This happens with and without launching Atmos. After a number of tries I get 2164-0501.

Endracion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Post automatically merged:

congratulations, wonderfull work :)
Is there a source to see alternate soldering points?

psycho-neon

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Wish I knew before making all these mistakes. The RP2040-Tiny seems to work and I'm now able to write to the nand without errors. Tried to rebuild the nand after watching the video and I'm still stuck at the Switch logo. This happens with and without launching Atmos. After a number of tries I get 2164-0501.

If it was re built, have you tried running the sysmmc cfw once in the hekate?

dehydrated_lemur

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
uh
Tinyfly v2.0 - the layout is based on the well known rp2040-tiny from waveshare but made for switch.

1. All necessary pads are exposed and the LED DIN as well.
2. Resistors and capacitors are 0402 size for easier soldering
3. Default D0,CMD,CLK resistors are 100,100,47ohm respectively

I've attached here the gerber file and bom/pick and place files.

Updates:
Tinyfly v2.0.zip
- Initial Release
Tinyfly v2.0b.zip - Added extra pads for GND and 3V3 line on the right side. Swapped CPU and RST at the bottom part. Some components are changed to basic parts if planning to fabricate using JLCPCB.

View attachment 423220View attachment 423222View attachment 423221
if anyone wants to go in on ordering some of these I'm down

psycho-neon

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
uh
if anyone wants to go in on ordering some of these I'm down

They work great. 😄 If you wanna order with the components make sure to order more quantities to get the best discount. 100pcs will be 2usd ea including shipping.

IMG_8308.jpeg

Reactions: QuiTim

superxoi

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam

I’m using hotplate just the normal PTC plate 450w. 😅 150x90mm size and max temp of 200deg +/-15.

0201s takes a lot of time to assemble. In 3hrs+ i just manage to assemble only 15pcs. Next time ill just use the 0402 variant.

View attachment 424293
View attachment 424296
I am using ptc plate too. It heats rapidly and conveniently. Can i add 47ohm instead of 100ohm on data0 and cmd. TBH 100ohm causing me trouble with long glitching time(samsung emmc) than 47ohm. I have switched to used 47ohm at default because of the glitching time.

psycho-neon

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I am using ptc plate too. It heats rapidly and conveniently. Can i add 47ohm instead of 100ohm on data0 and cmd. TBH 100ohm causing me trouble with long glitching time(samsung emmc) than 47ohm. I have switched to used 47ohm at default because of the glitching time.

Yes it is okay. I've been using 100/100/47 due to v1 compatibility and it works for all switches without any further modification. Long glitches I did not encounter yet. Mostly hynix chips has issues. The one i posted yesterday with video has samsung chip v2, and glitches instantly like 1sec.

superxoi

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Yes it is okay. I've been using 100/100/47 due to v1 compatibility and it works for all switches without any further modification. Long glitches I did not encounter yet. Mostly hynix chips has issues. The one i posted yesterday with video has samsung chip v2, and glitches instantly like 1sec.
The long glitching happend to be 100ohm on samsung specificaly, not always but sometime. Skhynix and toshiba glitching time about 6-7s but stable ones and i can use either 47 and 100ohm on these two. After some devices return with long glitching time on samsung emmc i have to use 47ohm again on samsung.

bvang913

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got an OLED SKHynix, single mosfet on the back. Still trying to get through some of these bad chips, so I flashed FW 2.67 for the error code. I believe this is showing cyan, so is that just telling me to check the mosfet? Just boots to ofw.

Nvm. Got it. The wire from mosfet came off while putting it back together. No SD 😁

Attachments

• PXL_20240310_022049303.TS.mp4
    20.8 MB
Last edited by bvang913,

etnicor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Because it is busted or you burnt it when you are connecting the point A and thus giving you purple screen error. That's the real reason for the purple screen and not the chip. If you have a hot air gun, you can try and reflow it, most of the time the solder connecting the resistor gets disconnected when you solder the wire.

If you will not fix it, then your switch wont work unfortunately even without the mod chip.

You can use 0402 or 0603 and wire it manually if you have difficulty with 0201.
Thx for tip on CMD resistor. Replaced it and now everything works, currently dumping emmc.

Replacing it weren't that bad. With a microscope and some flux it went pretty fast. First time doing 0201 though.

Kiuxn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I accidentally short-circuited, and the resistance at the position of the red circle on the picture burned. Who knows how big it is?

Attachments

• AA8C2167-4F0B-49A2-B2A8-E60784E61E0F.jpeg
    AA8C2167-4F0B-49A2-B2A8-E60784E61E0F.jpeg
    758.7 KB · Views: 19

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Too bad Hitler didn't make camps for immigrants oh wait
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Isn't the latest method for slim like self right?
    Like a 1 wire mod?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Still two wire with resistor if you don't count the 7 wire pc probes cause hardware likes a good probing
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    2 wires left on motherboard, 7 temp soldered to a flasher, then removed after flashed
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Technically don't even have to remove it could just keep it on
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't really mess with hard mods due to neuro issues
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    I tried to get a slim on a black friday once, but they ran out of stock for the $100 one
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    many ages ago
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You can find them $50-75 nowdays if catch a deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Still remember grabbing this ps4 slim on black Friday for $200 when the msrp was still around 300
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went to auction at a mom/pops video game store few months ago that was closing, and bought 11 slims for $200, 1 was DOA but 10 work fine. so hella deal. Already rgh3'ed 8 of them. But most younger kids don't even want anymore, unless it plays stupid "fortnight", or newer shit.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Think I'm gonna use my giftcard balance on a nice pair of headphones but $100 is still limited
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soundcore q30s are nice but they leak so much sound it sounds like speakers
    Ken spend the 100 on a gun and skii mask, wait for a jogger at the park jewelry money and headphones!
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If only Amazon sold guns
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking dick heads think it's a bad idea to get a gun 2 days later
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wait, I thought you were the dickhe...nvm
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got balls on my chin and two dicks on my forehead sir
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sorry, no offense there double dickhead chinballs.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Chicks still love it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Mommy, look, what is that?". "That's your soon to be daddy."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That you'll only see once
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: That you'll only see once +1