Playing interactive DVDs on macOS/Windows?

Zhongtiao1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone know of a DVD player software that supports interactive DVDs? I unearthed a physical dvd copy of Freddi Fish from my parent's house that I feel would be nostalgic to play, but VLC only seems to support playing the video, not selecting parts of the screen (which you need to do since it's a point and click adventure).

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
If I recall correct, and I might be totally wrong. But it's a different format-isch. VLC and other players decrypt the video and not so much "game play" part. I think you need like Cyberdvd or Powerdvd.

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If I recall correct, and I might be totally wrong. But it's a different format-isch. VLC and other players decrypt the video and not so much "game play" part. I think you need like Cyberdvd or Powerdvd.
CSS copy protection is very common on most pressed retail DVDs. VLC and other players such as Cyberlink PowerDVD and WinDVD can play them.

You might need libdvdnav and it might fix it
Or just re-install VLC or a different media player. LibDVD already comes with VLC, except for Blu-ray which requires its own separate keys.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
CSS copy protection is very common on most pressed retail DVDs. VLC and other players such as Cyberlink PowerDVD and WinDVD can play them.

Or just re-install VLC or a different media player. LibDVD already comes with VLC, except for Blu-ray which requires its own separate keys.
libdvd =/= libdvdnav

I already searched for the info and got linked that it might be whats needed. Plus I checked the vlc folder for that dll without success

EDIT: "libdvdnav is a library that allows easy use of sophisticated DVD navigation features such as DVD menus, multiangle playback and even interactive DVD games."

EDIT2: I found this stored in a plugins folder - libdvdnav_plugin.dll

Zhongtiao1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
libdvd =/= libdvdnav

I already searched for the info and got linked that it might be whats needed. Plus I checked the vlc folder for that dll without success

EDIT: "libdvdnav is a library that allows easy use of sophisticated DVD navigation features such as DVD menus, multiangle playback and even interactive DVD games."

EDIT2: I found this stored in a plugins folder - libdvdnav_plugin.dll

Hmm. It seems to be working on my windows machine, but on macOS, it still fails to start at the menu. I've installed dvdnav through brew.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi