PlayStation 3 firmware updated to version 4.88

ps3.png

Happy June 2021, would you like to update your PlayStation 3? Today, a new PS3 firmware was pushed out to consoles, bringing the legacy system to official firmware version 4.88. The patch notes listed on the PlayStation website explain that the update merely improves system performance, but there's usually more than meets the eye when it comes to these random updates. Over on the RPCS3 Twitter account, the emulator team says that 4.88 allows the PS3 to have the latest Blu-Ray keys, and also possibly makes some system fixes. That would make the most sense, given that the last time we saw a PS3 update back in December 2020, it was also for that exact reason.

:arrow: Source

Moon164

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It's Insane to see that the PS3 still receives updates, I'm happy with that, despite having a PS4 a lot of people here in Brazil still have a PS3, it has become a cheap option for those who want to play some games like Persona 5, Metal Gear Solid 5, The Last of Us, GTA V and etc... that's pretty cool from Sony.

I just really wanted the PS4 to get an update that would make it compatible with Dualsense.

Reactions: Payne

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Microsoft, the Xbox One is so stable its not been hacked yet.
I think a huge part of that was Microsoft offering dev mode on the device out of the box. This allowed the scene to build homebrew and even release emulators on the unhacked Xbone. Meaning the only real reason one would want to hack an Xbone is for full blown piracy of modern games. As such I think it was rather smart of Microsoft in this regard to allow dev mode to be accessible to everyone out of the box.

Granted this solution wouldn't work so great for the likes of Nintendo because they have so many older systems that could easily be emulated and likewise, at the least Sony would be concerned that PS1 and PSP games could easily be emulated on their machine. But what does Microsft have to worry about in regard to emulators in dev mode? MSX emulation?

Dungeonseeker

Trophies
XP
Country
What exactly is a blu-ray key? Seems weird that a media player would need updates for continued proper functionality with the format it was made to play. I mean it's not like we needed to download update files for our old VCRs to keep playing VHSs.
VHS tapes are not digitally encrypted like BD movies are. From time to time the decryption keys stored inside devices need to be updated as new movies are released with new encryption keys otherwise you wouldn't be able to play brand new movies at all.

Reactions: Codemastershock

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
VHS tapes are not digitally encrypted like BD movies are. From time to time the decryption keys stored inside devices need to be updated as new movies are released with new encryption keys otherwise you wouldn't be able to play brand new movies at all.
lol yes I understand why and how updates are pushed to blu ray vs the likes of VHS, my point was, we didn't have such protection back in the day, and now more than ever, who cares about physical blu rays for media? The world has collectively moved to streaming, and games pressed on blu ray already have different system-based protection, so to continue on with the whole blu ray key thing just doesn't make sense to me.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's nice that they are still doing this but you have to wonder how much longer physical media is going to be around for this sort of stuff. The dvd and bluray sections in shops seem to be shrinking quite rapidly. Ironically, the vinyl section has gotten larger the last couple years.

Reactions: Payne and zfreeman

Dungeonseeker

Trophies
XP
Country
lol yes I understand why and how updates are pushed to blu ray vs the likes of VHS, my point was, we didn't have such protection back in the day, and now more than ever, who cares about physical blu rays for media? The world has collectively moved to streaming, and games pressed on blu ray already have different system-based protection, so to continue on with the whole blu ray key thing just doesn't make sense to me.
Ahh, the old "it doesn't affect me so it doesn't matter" fallacy. Remember that Sony moved PS3's on the back of it being a Blu Ray player, I'm sure there are many people who very much do care if their BD player suddenly won't play their new purchase.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahh, the old "it doesn't affect me so it doesn't matter" fallacy. Remember that Sony moved PS3's on the back of it being a Blu Ray player, I'm sure there are many people who very much do care if their BD player suddenly won't play their new purchase.

I'm saying, why are we still bothering with these keys? It might have made sense once upon a time, but it feels so utterly unnecessary now. That's not a fallacy, that's just reality. We've moved on, continuing to push protection on an outdated format seems so pointless in this day and age. If DVDs had such protection I certainly hope we would have reached the point where we recognize that it'd be OK to just completely open up the medium by now.

I'm not saying let's stop releasing the keys, I'm saying push updates to the blu ready players to no longer need keys so we don't need such ridiculous updates to indefinitely keep needing to be released for the small percentage that still prefer to watch media on blu ray.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,

Dungeonseeker

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm saying, why are we still bothering with these keys? It might have made sense once upon a time, but it feels so utterly unnecessary now. That's not a fallacy, that's just reality. We've moved on, continuing to push protection on an outdated format seems so pointless in this day and age. If DVDs had such protection I certainly hope we would have reached the point where we recognize that it'd be OK to just completely open up the medium by now.
You preaching to the choir my friend, unfortunately though, the greedy mega corps disagree.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @RedColoredStars, whats the video about?