PlayStation 4 OFW 9.00 Jailbreak released, can reportedly affect PS5 consoles as well

ps4-slim-and-pro-image-block-01-en-23jul20.png

There's a new PlayStation 4 exploit in town--PS4 scene developers have released pOOBs4, a new kernel exploit that affects consoles on firmware 9.0.0. According to the pOOBs4 GitHub page, this exploit functions a little differently from previous PS4 jailbreak methods; you'll need a dedicated USB drive with the jailbreak software, which you'll insert into the system at a specific time during the process. The hack can also work on the PlayStation 5, claims the team, but triggering it isn't possible yet, and they recommend that users don't try to mess with their PS5 consoles until more information is available on how it affects that system. Currently, any PS4 that is on OFW 9.0.0 or below is exploitable using this method.

In this project you will find an implementation that tries to make use of a filesystem bug for the Playstation 4 on firmware 9.00. The bug was found while diffing the 9.00 and 9.03 kernels. It will require a drive with a modified exfat filesystem. Successfully triggering it will allow you to run arbitrary code as kernel, to allow jailbreaking and kernel-level modifications to the system. will launch the usual payload launcher (on port 9020).

The instructions and jailbreak file itself can be downloaded from the source below. Useful homebrew tools Mira and GoldHEN have also been updated to work with this new version.

• You need to insert the USB when the alert pops up, then let it sit there for a bit until the ps4 storage notifications shows up.
  • Unplug the USB before a (re)boot cycle or you'll risk corrupting the kernel heap at boot.
  • The browser might tempt you into closing the page prematurely, don't.
  • The loading circle might freeze while the webkit exploit is triggering, this means nothing.
  • This bug works on certain PS5 firmwares, however there's no known strategy for exploiting it at the moment. Using this bug against the PS5 blind wouldn't be advised.

:arrow: Source

titan_tim

(Can't shut up)
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Any info on the success rate of the hack?

I'm running on 7.xx, and it's kind of a pain since it fails to be hacked about 4/5 times, and requires the HDD to be scanned after a hard reboot.

Reactions: raxadian

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if more PS3 exploits will be found considering tbe PS3 is basically dead?
Wondering the same thing myself.
Basically forcing the need to keep a pre-3.55 ps3 alive because you can't get cfw otherwise when we had literal band readers for the ps3 feels so dumb. Especially given, that Sony's arrogance is the reason each aesthetic revision of the system makes it look more like a cheap knockoff than the ones before.

Reactions: raxadian

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
It looks like Sony paid the hacker 10k to release jailbreak to the public lol.

What is the point of this.
The exploit wasn't released to the public per se, a different hacker discovered it by comparing 9.00 with 9.03 and deducing from the patch what the bug was.

Stwert

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Haven’t switched any of my PS4’s on in over a year, since I got PS5 and XSX. But maybe I’ll fire up the standard launch day PS4 and have a play with some homebrew, it’s either that, or do some work. Hmmmmmm, let me think :rofl2:

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wait is it not? It's successor came out a year ago and because it's a blu-ray player it's gonna get updates for a while just like how the PS3 still gets updates so if you go by updates it won't be EOL for a very long time
EoL is gonna be a different story this time around, games are going to see concurrent releases on the PS4 and PS5 as well as the Xbone and Series X for quite a long time. Support for the last gen is going to live on strong for at least a couple more years.

BraveDragonWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I'm on firmware 11.0.1.3.4.78.800.8.3.2 or something...I never remember what PS4 firmware I'm on.

I never get to have anything good...

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok question time, do i stick to my FAT PS4 5.05 for backups, or do i set this up on my other PS4PRO and have the "4K" experience?

ov3rkill

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
why not just keep it private until PS4 is EOL?
I always thought of a console's EOL the moment the successor gets released because after that, not that many games gets release for the console. Then again, I guess some people just wait for the company's official announcement for EOL. Also, if we're all assuming EOL means the discontinuation of the production, then that would probably take a long time to wait and some previous generation consoles still receive 'stability' updates from companies. So, I think any time is a good time to release the exploit as long as the scene, homebrew developers and community are still active.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have you jail broke your ps4 yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been on since 9.0
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Are you gonna do your ps5 if the hack comes? Is there worries of bans, like the ps3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably not I got cross play friends
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they risk getting flagged or banned, altho spouting profanity in online play alredy does that
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Anyone dumb enough to get banned for spouting profanity deserves it.
    +1
  • Y @ YuseiFD:
    Then how come you do it and don't get banned ? or is it a question of getting caught doing it ?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision

the new generation playing MWII won't be as hardened as the previous one playing original MW2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of video games? Kids playing video games won't be as hardened as the previous ones getting shoved down a hillside.
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    exactly my point
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kids, yall are fucking pussies, grow some asshair before you even dare touch My Friend Peppa Pig or Mario's Early Years
    +1
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    ddddddddddddddddddddddd
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my fingie hurt
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    Why?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    hangnail thing I think
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ... that's rough buddy
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    peepee
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :D:)