PlayStation 4 OFW 9.00 Jailbreak released, can reportedly affect PS5 consoles as well

ps4-slim-and-pro-image-block-01-en-23jul20.png

There's a new PlayStation 4 exploit in town--PS4 scene developers have released pOOBs4, a new kernel exploit that affects consoles on firmware 9.0.0. According to the pOOBs4 GitHub page, this exploit functions a little differently from previous PS4 jailbreak methods; you'll need a dedicated USB drive with the jailbreak software, which you'll insert into the system at a specific time during the process. The hack can also work on the PlayStation 5, claims the team, but triggering it isn't possible yet, and they recommend that users don't try to mess with their PS5 consoles until more information is available on how it affects that system. Currently, any PS4 that is on OFW 9.0.0 or below is exploitable using this method.

In this project you will find an implementation that tries to make use of a filesystem bug for the Playstation 4 on firmware 9.00. The bug was found while diffing the 9.00 and 9.03 kernels. It will require a drive with a modified exfat filesystem. Successfully triggering it will allow you to run arbitrary code as kernel, to allow jailbreaking and kernel-level modifications to the system. will launch the usual payload launcher (on port 9020).

The instructions and jailbreak file itself can be downloaded from the source below. Useful homebrew tools Mira and GoldHEN have also been updated to work with this new version.

• You need to insert the USB when the alert pops up, then let it sit there for a bit until the ps4 storage notifications shows up.
  • Unplug the USB before a (re)boot cycle or you'll risk corrupting the kernel heap at boot.
  • The browser might tempt you into closing the page prematurely, don't.
  • The loading circle might freeze while the webkit exploit is triggering, this means nothing.
  • This bug works on certain PS5 firmwares, however there's no known strategy for exploiting it at the moment. Using this bug against the PS5 blind wouldn't be advised.

:arrow: Source

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
same here not wrecking an all digital console for it just to be banned
I may still exploit my system, just won't be in the scene. Same douche bags from the ps3 scene were in the ps4, and I don't think I can take their efaming bullshit in another scene. If people would read something, they'd know their full of shit and they wouldn't praise them.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I don't care about the games, have 0 saves for pirated games after all these years. Are you wanting to know what to do with your system?

Yeah, pretty much. I've got like 5 cfw systems which all contribute something unique. My PS4Pro is collecting dust.

Ugh, they can never seem to release one for the latest firmware, and that's really annoying to most users. :/
Wonder if this whole "don't update if you want HB" thing is gonna catch on..

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, pretty much. I've got like 5 cfw systems which all contribute something unique. My PS4Pro is collecting dust.
You can get your eap key with your sfash0 from the dev partition, just requires python, pip, and 2 dependencies. You can backup saves or activate your account once those have been updated, use ps4 saves on ps5, even change accounts if you're ever afraid of being banned, delete your notifications.db from system_data/priv/mms to remove traces of what you've installed, backup the other 3 databases, can even hex edit it to change user id's. Backup and restore trophies, I guess psx and ps2 games, but it's not perfect.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
You can get your eap key with your sfash0 from the dev partition, just requires python, pip, and 2 dependencies. You can backup saves or activate your account once those have been updated, use ps4 saves on ps5, even change accounts if you're ever afraid of being banned, delete your notifications.db from system_data/priv/mms to remove traces of what you've installed, backup the other 3 databases, can even hex edit it to change user id's. Backup and restore trophies, I guess psx and ps2 games, but it's not perfect.
Okay. So maybe playing around with/editing saves or potential mods to ps3 games would be the unique uses of a JB PS4. For the most part, I was already able to move my saves from PS4 to PS5--but there was a time that changing their linked accounts would have been appealing.

Tomato123

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The question might be a bit silly, but you don´t need a working disc drive for this, do you??
It's actually less silly than you think because I think you can't do certain things without one, updating being one of them if I remember correctly. However, you should be fine to jb it and install your... 'legal' backups.

Reactions: jnl1

maoex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I know the warning with the usb stick. but now i wake the consele up from rest mode, kernel panic, reboot and i become these "Kernel Heap" error, but i didnt put usb stick inside. i hope its not bricked forever... ??
Thx for reply

• Wow
Reactions: k7ra

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Honestly the EyeToy games where like proto augmented reality
    I had one it was fun lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I think I did then it broke a few months later
    Used it as a web cam for a day for fun, sooo shitty it was hilarious
    I had two Ken one regular black one and a silver special edition one lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Speaking of old stuff those green og Logitech Xbox controllers still being listed around $100
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    eyetoy was fun yeah
    super basic, but the minigames were well designed
    i'm sure there's at least 1 emulator out there that works with it
    I had the PS3 one too and The Eye of Judgement game lol was ass
    i had eye toy play on ps2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Microsoft ruined it with kinect
    @The Real Jdbye, PCSX2 works with any web cam and emulates the EyeToy with it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I remember mic support for the n64 being janky
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Emulation wise
    I had a kinnect.... It blew rotting goat balls
    Ken amazingly DraStic microphone support works better than real hardware lol
    On a phone of course
    Also touch is better.... Well at least better than the launch DS, the lite one improved that a ton
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Touch
    +1
    I really need to dig out my USB Wii sensor bar and experiment with Wii emulation and synching Wii remotes with BT lol
    Sort of redundant since I have a Wii lol
    With HDMI lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I also have a Wii
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tomorrow be may 4th
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Tomorrow be may 4th