Pokemon Stadium arrives on Nintendo Switch Online next week

Nintendo is adding to their Nintendo Switch Online N64 lineup, with the announcement of Pokemon Stadium coming to the service next week. While you can't bring Pokemon from the Game Boy games over, you can experience the game's classic minigames, when Pokemon Stadium becomes available on April 12th.

x65943

translation implies the existence of cislation
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For what it is, I'm happy to be able to play the minigames again from Stadium 1 and 2. Never really gotten deep into the Gameboy Pokemon games since my silver seemed to have a dead save battery by the time I got it from my siblings. So I still had a lot of fun with rentals for what its worth.
Played the game with rentals myself for a year or two before I was able to get the peripheral to allow transferring Pokemon. Was still fun for sure.

And I played the mini games so much, still remember getting whacked for screwing up the Clefairy game countless times

Reactions: Wolfy

Sir Tortoise

Trophies
XP
Country
I wouldn't hold out for older mainline Pokemon games. If it was going to happen it already would have, they would have been excellent headliners to encourage people to sign up early and stick with the service.

They could be reluctant to re-release older games that could end up competing with any potential remakes down the line, especially if the remakes are going to be BDSP style, which was already practically a re-release, just one that they can sell for full price and much more widely than something bundled into this service.

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You gotta understand that the target audience for these releases isn't you, it's either people in passing who have nostalgia for the game or more importantly people who love pokemon. They're just trying to broaden their subscription service not keep current users happy
i'm not saying it's for me. i'm saying it's for other people who wanted this feature also this is a good example of nintendo shutting down the eshop. think for a sec if adding your own pokemon was DLC and nintendo just removed that feature in a patch. (not talking about the past BTW) people would bitch. some times you need to look outside the box and sadly you did not.

pokota

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Playing Pokemon Stadium with rental Pokemon is like playing Dark Souls with invincible cheat.
Nah, it's more like playing Dark Souls but you're not allowed to wear half of the equipment. The rentals have poor move selections.

Reactions: DarthDub

Chikko312

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just download RetroArch,
Get the mupen64 plugin for n64 (within retroarch)
Get a preferred GBC emulator (within retroarch)
There is a Transfer Pak function so you can play your GBC save on stadium.

Only catch:
you have to setup the saved game/ roms correct

Guide i used:

G25900

Trophies
XP
Country
Emulated is how I've been playing it, using PKHex to setup teams because you literally can't set up decent teams without multiple playthroughs of the GB games. A lot of decent moves can only be taught once per playthrough due to there only being one TM in the whole game.

rodigo1991

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Emulated is how I've been playing it, using PKHex to setup teams because you literally can't set up decent teams without multiple playthroughs of the GB games. A lot of decent moves can only be taught once per playthrough due to there only being one TM in the whole game.
You can use missigno to have infinity itens.

ciaomao

Well-Known Dude
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
i bought the game used in a store back then. the only purpose though was to use it as a cic card. in fact, i don't remember ever playing it directly. i was never a fan of the series.

G25900

Trophies
XP
Country
You can use missigno to have infinity itens.

You can but there's issue that arise with that, you'd at least want a secondary save, mainly just to store the extra items as you barely have enough space to keep them all, and having that many items set to 255 with the glitch is a good way to screw the storage up entirely and overflow in to something else.

That's all assuming you make sure to use a trainer name that spawns one of the safer missingnos as well, some names won't spawn any. It's safer and quicker just to save edit them.

This also only applies to the first one and they're releasing Stadium 2 at some point too, which still has the issue of limited items for team setups and it's solutions aren't quite as simple.

It's gen 1, the moves are fine

They're not bad but the issue is in comparison to the AI's, their Pokémon have way better move sets and way better stats. Round 1 isn't too bad but Round 2 requires using very specific teams and a lot of luck, there's a Gambler in the Masterball Cup who only spams Horn Drill and Fissure for example, he will shut down rental teams almost every time. Especially considering the RNG seems to favour the AI over you, like you can take the exact same Gambler team in and maybe get through, but he will hit those moves damn near every time.

Last edited by G25900,

StrayGuitarist

A genuine feline disaster.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Grew up with Stadium 1 and 2, and they made the enormous impact on my childhood because of the import feature. As-is, it's only good for the minigames, the second game having the best IMHO

pokota

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The inject itself may work, but it's worth calling out the emulator in Pokemon Stadium actually was not a full emulator. It actually was missing instructions for the gameboy, specifically, any not explicitly used in the Pokemon games.
That would go a long way to explaining how an embedded GB emulator on N64 was able to do double and triple speed - severe game-specific hacks (now I'm curious to know how much overlap there is between "DMG instructions explicitly used in Gen 1 Pokemon Games" and "the rest of the DMG library" - it'd be funny to inject an early not-Gen1 game and have it run just well enough in Dodrio Tower - but I guess that's more the domain of outright romhacking as opposed to NSO save/game injection)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: