[POLL] How do you feel about Windows 10's Anniversary Update forcing Cortana?

Windows 10's Anniversary Update does not allow Cortana to be disabled, your thoughts?

• Total voters

loco365

Trophies
XP
Yes I already know I can disable it, I was just giving my opinion on their decision to force cortana with this update.
Well, I'd still opt for the update though, especially for security fixes. As far as I'm aware, MS will only be pushing security updates for updated users. By not opting to update, you're putting yourself at risk.

Edit: For anyone wanting to disable Cortana, you can do it with the Group Policy Editor, or using a registry tweak if on the basic version: http://betanews.com/2016/07/26/cortana-unkillable-in-windows-10-anniversary-update/

Last edited by loco365,

CitizenSnips

a seldom-used crab named Lucky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I'd still opt for the update though, especially for security fixes. As far as I'm aware, MS will only be pushing security updates for updated users. By not opting to update, you're putting yourself at risk.
Oh now I see what you meant, I decided on not updating mainly because none of the new features interest me, I wasn't aware of security changes with this update. I guess I'll grab it sometime soon

Last edited by CitizenSnips,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could have updated to Windows 10, gotten the free license, restored your Windows 7 image, and had the free Windows 10 license on Microsoft's servers ready for your computer when you finally did upgrade, which will probably be in or before January 2020 when security updates stop for Windows 7. It's too late to do that now, so as you said, you'll have to KMS-activate Windows 10 or use a MAK.

Meh, not a real big loss for me to be perfectly honest. I've heard nothing but mixed results with certain drivers and programs for Windows 10, notably programs like Source Filmmaker not cooperating or WiFi drivers going to hell on certain peoples' machines. I don't know if KMS activation is fail proof or not, I haven't heard much about its reliability.

Isn't it true that you can't disable reporting errors/activities to Microsoft? Or that it disables less-than-reputable copies of certain programs (pirated)?

Last edited by the_randomizer,
D

Deleted User

I don't care because the W10 laptop I use isn't mine, so if I could shut off Cortana, I wouldn't be allowed to anyways.
I still wouldn't care if I had a computer of my own running W10 because I'd likely be running W10 Pro.
Install Classic Shell and unpin Cortana from the task bar. Hello classic search, problem solved.
I wonder if I'm the only person who actually likes both W8 and W10's start menus... :unsure:

Last edited by ,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if KMS activation is fail proof or not, I haven't heard much about its reliability.
KMS activation is fail-proof as long as Microsoft doesn't update the KMS Protocol, and that's only likely to happen in big operating system updates (e.g. Windows 11). Otherwise, many legitimately KMS-activated machines would suddenly become deactivated 180 days after an update to the KMS protocol.

It should also be noted that, while there was an update to the protocol in Windows 8 (v5) and Windows 8.1 (v6), there was not an update to the protocol in Windows 10. In other words, Windows 10 and all of its cumulative updates still use KMS protocol v6, so Microsoft doesn't seem to care about it anymore. Some have claimed that reverse-engineering KMS protocols wasn't very difficult anyway.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KMS activation is fail-proof as long as Microsoft doesn't update the KMS Protocol, and that's only likely to happen in big operating system updates (e.g. Windows 11). Otherwise, many legitimately KMS-activated machines would suddenly become deactivated 180 days after an update to the KMS protocol.

It should also be noted that, while there was an update to the protocol in Windows 8 (v5) and Windows 8.1 (v6), there was not an update to the protocol in Windows 10. In other words, Windows 10 and all of its cumulative updates still use KMS protocol v6, so Microsoft doesn't seem to care about it anymore. Some have claimed that reverse-engineering KMS protocols wasn't very difficult anyway.

Are those claims that Microsoft removing pirated games/software just a rumor then or is that a real thing that they can do? I don't want them touching the things I have on here, you know? I've also head of rumors of certain drivers not working properly i.e WiFi and so on.

D

Deleted User

Cortana is forced now? I haven't noticed because I use classicshell. Only thing i noticed it try to force is Edge.... no thanks. I'm perfectly fine with vivaldi and adblock

exdeath255

Trophies
Website
www.com
XP
Country
Canada
this is such an exaggeration. Cmon guys were gbatemp arent we? Are we gunna let some main stream blog tell us we cant stop cortana from telling us about stuff weve heard a billion times?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are those claims that Microsoft removing pirated games/software just a rumor then or is that a real thing that they can do? I don't want them touching the things I have on here, you know? I've also head of rumors of certain drivers not working properly i.e WiFi and so on.
Microsoft is not going to remove pirated games/software. It's just a line in the EULA that's basically always been there and has been blown out of proportion. What it's really saying is that Microsoft can't be held legally accountable if something pirated stops working as intended because of a software update (e.g. an updated KMS protocol). As for driver compatibility, that's going to vary from device to device. Generally, if something works on Windows 8.1, it's probably going to work just fine on Windows 10. Windows 7 (and to a lesser extent, Windows 8.0) are compatible with some older drivers that don't work on Windows 10, so just because it works on Windows 7 doesn't mean it's going to work on Windows 10. However, if the computer isn't too old, your odds are good that it'll work just fine with Windows 10. Make an image of your computer and test it out. If there's a compatibility issue, revert back.

Reactions: the_randomizer
D

Deleted User

My mom has had issues with her WiFi drivers, but they had also happened since 8, so I don't know if it's an issue with Windows or the actual drivers themselves.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Microsoft is not going to remove pirated games/software. It's just a line in the EULA that's basically always been there and has been blown out of proportion. What it's really saying is that Microsoft can't be held legally accountable if something pirated stops working as intended because of a software update (e.g. an updated KMS protocol). As for driver compatibility, that's going to vary from device to device. Generally, if something works on Windows 8.1, it's probably going to work just fine on Windows 10. Windows 7 (and to a lesser extent, Windows 8.0) are compatible with some older drivers that don't work on Windows 10, so just because it works on Windows 7 doesn't mean it's going to work on Windows 10. However, if the computer isn't too old, your odds are good that it'll work just fine with Windows 10. Make an image of your computer and test it out. If there's a compatibility issue, revert back.

The thing I'm worried most about is my TP-Link dual band wireless adapter (which is actually quite nice and has an antenna for better signals), no idea if that'd work or not, and I can install Windows 10 on my second HDD as I don't want it to overwrite my primary Windows 7 partition. As far as my machine goes, I built it back in 2013, not sure how well it'll run witn 10. And good, I heard a lot of mixed responses about 10 as a whole, my brother uses the other PC and hasn't had any major issues.

My mom has had issues with her WiFi drivers, but they had also happened since 8, so I don't know if it's an issue with Windows or the actual drivers themselves.

I'm going to check on TP-Link's site to see if they exist.

Edit: Yeah, according to this site, my Archer T2UH only has partial support, only using the 2.4 GHz bandwidth as opposed to the 5.4 GHz range, and there doesn't seem to be a driver out for it yet, well that's the final nail in the coffin for me and Windows 10. Only alternative is using a Windows 8/8.1 drive and hope it works, that just blows, nice going Microsoft. Can't even make it plug n' play.

http://www.tp-link.com/en/article-15587.html

Yeah, screw that.

Last edited by the_randomizer,
Reactions: Deleted User

Nightwish

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I personally don't like it. What are your thoughts?

Already upgraded all my PCs to Linux; otherwise, I'd have to pirate the Enterprise Edition to disable broken mandatory updates and all the spying. If I still dual booted, I'd probably lose the Linux partition due to the update... (google it). MS's software quality is rapidly going downhill again, which is no surprise from all the infighting stories that come out.

I upgraded 5 or so computers to Windows 10; but for some reason it never went through on my office computer, now the free offer is gone. I'm rather annoyed at this.

I've read that it's still available for people with disabilities, which is probably just a matter of activating the right accessibility options for a while. If you really care, you should google it.

banzai200

That dude who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Windows 10 is kinda annoying, i only use because of my video card
because, if Linux was a better alternative for gaming in general, i would have switched to it a long time ago
Also, Auto-Cortana is just the tip of the iceberg, it just gets worse from now on

loco365

Trophies
XP
Already upgraded all my PCs to Linux; otherwise, I'd have to pirate the Enterprise Edition to disable broken mandatory updates and all the spying. If I still dual booted, I'd probably lose the Linux partition due to the update... (google it). MS's software quality is rapidly going downhill again, which is no surprise from all the infighting stories that come out.
Linux partitions being removed is a freak bug. I have a Ubuntu partition and it's perfectly fine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lesbians invented babies +2