Gaming Hardware POLL: What is you preferred type of game controller?

What type of game controller do you like to use?

• Total voters

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The poll should have an option for both. I prefer asymetrical for racing games and symmetrical for games that make extensive use of the dpad. Otherwise I pretty much don't care and pick the controller that fits the console I'm playing / fits the input layout the best.

Though I'm one of those weirdos that has a ginormous collection of controllers of all styles and uses pretty much all of them regularly.

Moorshou

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually love using the new dualshock 5 controllers as my daily drivers, they just seem to fit in my hand really well!

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
D-PAD Controllers
1. Hori Pokkén
2. Saturn
3. SNES
Bonus: NES

Analog Controllers
1. Xbox 360 (or the newer, they're pretty much the same more or less)
2. GameCube (nostalgia)
3. DualSense
Bonus: Stadia

The DualShock 3 with Xbox One sticks is great, so much so, I did that due to my thumbs slipping off with the original DS3 sticks.

P.S. Switch's Pro Controller is amazing, but it has the issue it has digital triggers and I kinda hate that so I'd not use it when there are better and more comfortable ones available.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For analog stick gaming: Asymmetrical.

Retro: Either one as I'm comfortable with the d-pad top or bottom.

My favorite set of controllers are GCN ones and got a pair of 'em in front of my TV for display than use.

T41VNP0.jpg

If (no, probably *when*) Nintendo releases another Smash controller for the next Switch console will I buy it? Hell yeah! I love collecting it and it doesn't really lose its value.

Reactions: Fallen_Fenrir

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Liked the PS Controllers. But my Favorits are XBox ones, for big hands def a better choice. Love my Elite Series 2 pad.

DualSense is larger than the latest Xbox controllers. Can barely use my Series X controller as it was actually literally designed to fit in the hands of 10 yr olds. Hands start cramping after a short time of play because it's so small in my big hands. Lots of people have complained about this in many different places so your hands can't be THAT big.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends on the game and how it controls really. If a game relies heavily on both sticks and triggers I prefer symmetrical, but if I need to use mainly the left stick and face buttons and only uses the right stick occasionally I prefer asymmetrical. And of course if a game just uses the D pad I use a retro controller. I have multiple types for my console so I can switch between them whenever.

Reactions: AncientBoi

BoukObelisk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Honestly I think I just grew up with the Playstation controller and always think the D-pad is where it's supposed to be. Maybe the 360 controller's d-pad being less good made me think I don't like that style of controller.

Reactions: AncientBoi

LingFox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
For me, symmetrical all the way.

D-Pad:
1. Snes;
2. Saturn (not genesis, too odd);

Analog:
1. Dualshock 1-3 / DualAnalog (longer grips, and concave thumbs);;
2. Gamecube*;
3. 8BitDo's SNPro2;

Gimmick:
1. Namco's NeGCon;
It's a revelation when using it for racing games, even modern ones. I just wish someone would make a modernized version of this controller with a reasonable price.

The one controller I use now is the Defender (the 2.4G version) by RetroFighters. It's basically a DS3 controller, with the pressure sensitive buttons, a godsend for PS2 emulation.

I would've added Retro-Bit's dual analog Saturn controller, but it's a monkey paw's wish controller. No triggers, Z and C being just L1 and R1 repeated and the crappiest Analog thumbs they could've got. 3 sins in one controller, what a deal! Too much form over function even for me.
The lame excuse for the Z/C button really shows how disingenuous they were: Apparently no library supports more than 6 digital buttons? and how about SDL? Or DirectInput? Ah, right, directinput is ""legacy"" despite still being in use. "The switch doesn't have analog trigger" well, for starter this controller was supposed to be compatible with other devices than the nintendo switch, that's why 8bitdo, for all their faults, have analog triggers on most of their controllers, which are still compatible with other devices.

edit: Dammit, I just realized I've necro'd this post but I haven't seen many others about talking preferred controllers that weren't from 2023.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Sicklyboy, hi