Prefer Operating system?

LainaGabranth

Objectively the most infuriating woman ever
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why avoid Ubuntu? I've been using jammy for the last few months, and it's been very solid. Didn't even crash once, and does everything I want. But I agree Linux Mint is good too. I used it for a couple of years with no major problems.
Probably just people hating snapd

Reactions: Dust2dust

mrgone

old man
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i still miss my xp, the machine died 4 years ago, it was my first os i bought from real money from my first real job after university.
now i use a intel nuc with win10, thats my main work horse.
then there is an old macbook with kali linux and raspberries with debian.

ciaomao

Well-Known Dude
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
lately i have been using this OS a lot
57ECE966-7930-4E31-8362-1A277A5D534B.jpeg

Dungeonseeker

Trophies
XP
Country
No it doesn't.
No it doesn't what?

Decimate your filesystem? Yes it does, every Snap you install creates a hidden subvolume (technically they're SquashFS images but meh) on your filesystem. Just run the mount command on Ubuntu and see all the random mountpoints. The entire thing is a mess.

Edit - Pro tip, you can simply install squashfs-tools, download the Snap, unsquash it and run it as a normal app from anywhere you like without it creating a hidden mountpoint.

LainaGabranth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No it doesn't what?

Decimate your filesystem? Yes it does, every Snap you install creates a hidden subvolume (technically they're SquashFS images but meh) on your filesystem. Just run the mount command on Ubuntu and see all the random mountpoints. The entire thing is a mess.

Edit - Pro tip, you can simply install squashfs-tools, download the Snap, unsquash it and run it as a normal app from anywhere you like without it creating a hidden mountpoint.
Oh man, if installing programs makes you this mad you're gonna hate when you see GitHub.

sombrerosonic

Idiot machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why avoid Ubuntu? I've been using jammy for the last few months, and it's been very solid. Didn't even crash once, and does everything I want. But I agree Linux Mint is good too. I used it for a couple of years with no major problems.
Ubuntu base OS's for me crash for me all the time as well as freezes 90% of the time. Killed my dual boot once

Dungeonseeker

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh man, if installing programs makes you this mad you're gonna hate when you see GitHub.
LMAO, I use github cli every day. I fail to even see how the 2 things are remotely similar, Github creates a folder on your filesystem, Snap creates lots of hidden mountpoints that most users don't even realise exist at all.

That's exactly my point, you don't install a snap, you mount it.

It becomes a nightmare when you are running backups that create symmetrical links to files that don't really exist until they are mounted.

LainaGabranth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LMAO, I use github cli every day. I fail to even see how the 2 things are remotely similar, Github creates a folder on your filesystem, Snap creates lots of hidden mountpoints that most users don't even realise exist at all.

That's exactly my point, you don't install a snap, you mount it.

It becomes a nightmare when you are running backups that create symmetrical links to files that don't really exist until they are mounted.
Works On My Machine™

Tarmfot

Trophies
XP
Country
Montserrat
Windows Xp, msdos 6.22(4dos)+windows 3.11 workgroups(calmira+stiletto), windows 7.
I dont like ubuntu. I liked puppy linux and Linux Mint.

Last edited by Tarmfot,

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
For me, it mostly just depends on what I need to have done;
My regular PC: Windows, currently Win7. NEVER will I willingly install Windows 11. That POS can bite my furry calico ass.

Laptop: Depending on the specs, usually the same as my desktop if it can handle it. Though since my first ever and still only ever laptop is an old-ass Netbook, I just use it for emergency web browsing when nothing else is available, or as a surrogate SD card reader over the network using my home server sort of like a smaller Xen from half-life. I could also probably install Mint on it but I'll think about that later.

A server or other appliance: Some distro of UNIX or Linux (since BSD shares its ancestor of UNIX with Linux, though I do prefer Linux derived from Debian) depending on what it needs. Server? Openmediavault. Web server? Er.. for now I actually just use one server for everything but I'd probably just go with Mint or MAYBE raw debian because popularity be damned Ubuntu can also bite my shiny metal ass. Any other appliances, such as a network switch cobbled together with a RPi and a USB hub with multiple network adapters or some bullcrap like that... I'd just look things up or even just see if anyone else has gotten DD-WRT to run on a n RPi.

A mobile device, TV set-top box/dongle or tablet: Usually, Android/Android TV. For mobile stuff/tablet stuff I GUESS the latest iPad would also suffice but I haven't had one in years. Are they still ridiculously locked down to apple's dumb garden-in-a-wall? As for TV stuff it MOSTLY doesn't matter so long as the TV itself is "dumb" and you can just swap out the set-tip box/dongle at will. If it's got "smart" built in, I hope it's Android, or at the least Fire TV since it's just Android with orange and black clothes on with a faint smell of charcoal. As for set-top box OSes... again either Android or Fire TV, but I'll settle for other things like DiSH Hoppers/Joeys or even an old-fashioned WebTV box.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izAMt9iehrE