Prior PlayStation 4 exclusive Horizon: Zero Dawn is coming to PC

horizon-zero-dawn-screen-02-ps4-us-13jun16.jpg

Numerous rumors have floated about regarding the possibility of Sony studio Guerilla Games bringing their PS4 exclusive title Horizon Zero Dawn to the PC platform. And now, it has officially been confirmed by PlayStation EU. In a new PlayStation Blog, the head of the company's Worldwide Studios branch, Hermen Hulst, talks about the future of media, including the Uncharted movie, The Last of Us's TV adaptation, and new to everyone, the upcoming PC port of Horizon: Zero Dawn.

Our talk covers a lot of ground: from upcoming film and TV projects based on Uncharted and The Last of Us, to the upcoming PC port of Horizon: Zero Dawn, to what’s next for PlayStation’s international network of game studios.

Hulst confirmed the rumors, and stated that the PC version of the game would be releasing later this summer, with more information to come at a later date, from the developers themselves. Horizon: Zero Dawn originally released for the PlayStation 4 in 2017, and sold over 10 million copies.

Speaking of experimentation, there have been rumors of a Horizon Zero Dawn complete edition that might be coming to PC… can you confirm or deny that?

Yes, I can confirm that Horizon Zero Dawn is coming to PC this summer…. There will be more information coming from Guerrilla, from the new studio directors [Michiel van der Leeuw, JB van Beek, and Angie Smets] pretty soon.

This won't be a common occurence, seeing PS4 exclusives jump onto PC, but the team found that the game was an ideal match for the platform, in HZD's case.

And to maybe put a few minds at ease, releasing one first-party AAA title to PC doesn’t necessarily mean that every game now will come to PC. In my mind, Horizon Zero Dawn was just a great fit in this particular instance. We don’t have plans for day and date [PC releases], and we remain 100% committed to dedicated hardware.

:arrow: Source

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cmon mate????? Are you crazy lol thers gonna be millions of teens and 20 30 year olds who will never hav a grand saved up in ther lifetime thts why they go for consoles
Um some of those 20/30 year olds go on to become doctors surgeons and athletes. it's not hard to get a spendable grand, let alone a decent gaming pc for under a grand. these people are not as poor as you think they are

geodeath

Trophies
XP
Country
Now if only it was a good game

A hell of a lot more enjoyable than BOTW, this one had a proper story, deep content and a lot of enemies with wide variety of ways to fight them. Came out the same day, stupidly enough i bought the hype and played zelda first, leaving this to gather dust. I only realised my mistake much later when i put it back on. It is fine if you do not like the genre, but if you don't then you dont like any of them anyway. As open world games go, this is quite up to the top along the best ones and the sales and reviews confirm that. The only 'annoying' thing was the checkerboard 4k and the ps4 pro sounding like a harrier jet when playing this game in 4k.

Treeko

Trophies
XP
Country
Happy that such a great gem from PS4's library is heading to a whole new audience hopefully that'll entice more people to delve into the PlayStation ecosystem when the PS5 hits.

I feel like People also need to cut the double standards and realise that some of the points people are making about this exclusive going to pc are relevant, you'd see just as many if not more people being mad at a exclusive going to any other platform if Nintendo were doing this, which they would never because its a part of their identity, you want to play a Zelda? You gotta get a Nintendo console, its always been like that, with Sony doing this its amazing for the gamers but for the PlayStation brand this might diminish the value of their Ips going forward, and for people saying exclusivity sucks, just look at Nintendo and why the switch is such a massive success, their Ips are some of the most valuable entertainment mediums on this planet, maybe I just wanted to see someone equal that and Sony were the closest but hey that's just me and my opinion, the times truly are changing in this industry, now let the games roll.

Last edited by Treeko,

GenNaz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Happy that such a great gem from PS4's library is heading to a whole new audience hopefully that'll entice more people to delve into the PlayStation ecosystem when the PS5 hits.

I feel like People also need to cut the double standards and realise that some of the points people are making about this exclusive going to pc are relevant, you'd see just as many if not more people being mad at a exclusive going to any other platform if Nintendo were doing this, which they would never because its a part of their identity, you want to play a Zelda? You gotta get a Nintendo console, its always been like that, with Sony doing this its amazing for the gamers but for the PlayStation brand this might diminish the value of their Ips going forward, and for people saying exclusivity sucks, just look at Nintendo and why the switch is such a massive success, their Ips are some of the most valuable entertainment mediums on this planet, maybe I just wanted to see someone equal that and Sony were the closest but hey that's just me and my opinion, the times truly are changing in this industry, now let the games roll.
The problem is that you people are conflating loss of exclusivity with the loss of quality first-party games. Just because it's no longer exclusively for Sony's plastic box doesn't mean their first party studios are going to stop making quality software. Exclusivity literally only benefits the company unless you're a deluded fanboy. It's not a good thing for the consumer that you have to purchase a specific console to play a specific game.

Reactions: Subtle Demise
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People are not only embracing the anti-consumer practice of console exclusives, they literally become upset and irrational when a publisher forgoes it:
Failed to fetch tweet 1237430370460676097
These are the same kind of people who want to boycott Epic when a game they want is exclusive to their launcher. The hypocrisy and double standards are real.

Last edited by Subtle Demise,
Reactions: the_randomizer

Treeko

Trophies
XP
Country
The problem is that you people are conflating loss of exclusivity with the loss of quality first-party games. Just because it's no longer exclusively for Sony's plastic box doesn't mean their first party studios are going to stop making quality software. Exclusivity literally only benefits the company unless you're a deluded fanboy. It's not a good thing for the consumer that you have to purchase a specific console to play a specific game.
Ummm so all the people who buy a Nintendo console are deluded then? A console with good exclusives is more desirable than a console that can only play third-party software Xbox one is the key example to this, 3rd in the pack due to a lack of Quality exclusives, Exclusives do not only benefit the company, exclusives are a good way to gauge the types of experiences you will have with said "plastic box" I can care less about the hardware, its the experiences on it that matter, this is not the only single player narrative driven game Sony have ported or allowed to be ported to PC this generation that is alarming, Heavy Rain/Beyond two souls/Detroit become human are all Sony owned IP that have made the transition to pc, so when they say they are 100% focused on dedicated hardware there's a element of damage control in it, never said anything about their other exclusives, "It's not a good thing for the consumer that you have to purchase a specific console to play a specific game" ironic you say that on a website thats centered around Nintendo consoles.

There's a reason why people enjoy retro consoles to this day, its because of the memorable experiences on those "plastic boxes", this is the exact reason why people cry for virtual console on the latest "plastic box" from Nintendo, so again its not about the hardware but about the experiences.

Last edited by Treeko,

GenNaz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ummm so all the people who buy a Nintendo console are deluded then? A console with good exclusives is more desirable than a console that can only play third-party software Xbox one is the key example to this, 3rd in the pack due to a lack of Quality exclusives, Exclusives do not only benefit the company, exclusives are a good way to gauge the types of experiences you will have with said "plastic box" I can care less about the hardware, its the experiences on it that matter, this is not the only single player narrative driven game Sony have ported or allowed to be ported to PC this generation that is alarming, Heavy Rain/Beyond two souls/Detroit become human are all Sony owned IP that have made the transition to pc, so when they say they are 100% focused on dedicated hardware there's a element of damage control in it, never said anything about their other exclusives, "It's not a good thing for the consumer that you have to purchase a specific console to play a specific game" ironic you say that on a website thats centered around Nintendo consoles.
It's cool if you buy a Switch to play Nintendo games. If you buy a Switch primarily because you get satisfaction out of playing games that other people can't then you've got issues. There would be nothing lost and everything gained if platform exclusivity was a thing of the past and you could play whatever game on whatever box you prefer. I applaud the Xbox division for allowing people to purchase their first party titles elsewhere.

Edit: Also lol about your comment about "types of experiences you will have". You do realize Sony isn't removing Detroit and Horizon from their console, right? You can still play all those games on PS4 and probably on PS5 too.

Last edited by GenNaz,

Treeko

Trophies
XP
Country
It's cool if you buy a Switch to play Nintendo games. If you buy a Switch primarily because you get satisfaction out of playing games that other people can't then you've got issues. There would be nothing lost and everything gained if platform exclusivity was a thing of the past and you could play whatever game on whatever box you prefer.
Please read my initial post, I never had an issue with this game going to PC, I grew up with console gaming, have tried PC multiple times, always find console games to be better in the "experiences" department, there's a reason why people still love games like Zelda, but Zelda would not be possible if it weren't for Nintendo consoles so there's something to be lost if exclusives cease to exist, which is never going to happen because gaming is a business for these companies, exclusives will exist in some shape or form even if consoles stopped being produced, which would be a shame because I prefer consoles over PC personally.

GenNaz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but Zelda would not be possible if it weren't for Nintendo consoles so there's something to be lost if exclusives cease to exist.
But that's wrong. Why do you have this mindset? XBOX is still producing their first party titles even though they're no longer exclusive to their platform. Hell, SEGA is still developing games to all kinds of platforms well after they exited the console hardware business altogether. I'm not suggesting that these games cease to exist. They just get to exist more places.

Last edited by GenNaz,

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Take the monitor out. Most everyone has a 4K tv they can plug a PC into. Plus, console gamers do not play on a monitor. $979 is more accurate. And then there's still things like sales and/or 2nd hand parts. Could probably get the same build if a person looked for the best deals possible for $100+ less.

Treeko

Trophies
XP
Country
But that's wrong. Why do you have this mindset? XBOX is still producing their first party titles even though they're no longer exclusive to their platform. Hell, SEGA is still developing games to all kinds of platforms well after they exited the console hardware business altogether.
And what are the said first party titles from Xbox in the triple A space? Other than Halo/Forza/Gears, the point I am trying to get across is that consoles allow developers to get the best out of said hardware hence why some of the best looking/memorable games this generation have been on PS4, hzd is one of those games, when you shift your audience to a more open ended platform you're hampering the experience for a wide range of that audience that don't have access to centralised hardware like on console, the experience is not consistent across all the different hardware configurations, Sega's games have gone downhill in terms of Quality ever since they turned to a third party developer you will never see them produce something like jet set radio again because it might too big of a risk for their business and investment, that's why they didn't fund the development of Bayonetta 2 until Nintendo stepped in and the rest is history, one of the best action games of the decade, same for Xbox studios, I'll be more excited for the next Zelda/Mario game, compared to just another Forza/Halo/Gears, I prefer quality over quantity.

Edit: Again you're making the same assumption that I have an issue with these games going from "PS4" to "PC" which is wrong, I know these games will always be available on the PS4, I have an issue about the implications of this for the future of Sony games I couldn't care less about a console that's at the end of its life cycle, with Sony catering to a different audience they might lose sight of why people buy their consoles in the first place, and Sony have a track record of fucking up, remember the PS vita? Or the launch of PS3? As soon as they found a better audience on the PS4, the vita was done and dusted, and this goes in hand with my previous point Sony going third party will ultimately lead to them taking less risks for a more stable business, HZD as a IP was born out of Sony taking risks with a new IP, and I fear that might be something of the past which will have a overall negative impact on the gaming industry.

Last edited by Treeko,

Uiaad

GBAtemp's resident guinea pig
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I feel like i have been saying this far too much lately but once again :

Boohoo HZD has lost exclusivity so that more people can enjoy game - I'm so cut up about this

Its a fucking game

I don't care, if you don't like it, like it or what you play it on.

Games are games and are meant to be enjoyed.

Play the games you enjoy, don't play the ones you don't. Feel free to talk about why you like it or dislike them , but don't for the love of god don't expect everyone to agree with you.

Video game companies are a lot like prostitutes, you can give them all your money but they will never love you and you extolling their virtues just make you look like a prick.

If you like a game on the playstation good for you, if you like it on the switch good for you too. if you like playing it on a fucking toaster wearing mittens and dancing the macarena do you.

Console or PC it doesnt.fucking.matter So go play some games enjoy yourself for once and quit your bitching

GenNaz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And what are the said first party titles from Xbox in the triple A space? Other than Halo/Forza/Gears, the point I am trying to get across is that consoles allow developers to get the best out of said hardware hence why some of the best looking/memorable games this generation have been on PS4, hzd is one of those games, when you shift your audience to a more open ended platform you're hampering the experience for a wide range of that audience that don't have access to centralised hardware like on console, the experience is not consistent across all the different hardware configurations, Sega's games have gone downhill in terms of Quality ever since they turned to a third party developer you will never see them produce something like jet set radio again because it might too big of a risk for their business and investment, that's why they didn't fund the development of Bayonetta 2 until Nintendo stepped in and the rest is history, one of the best action games of the decade, same for Xbox studios, I'll be more excited for the next Zelda/Mario game, compared to just another Forza/Halo/Gears, I prefer quality over quantity.
I don't like how you've so casually dismissed Halo/Gears/Forza but whatever. I guess those don't count because you just don't like them. How about Cuphead, Ori and Killer Instinct? Also SEGA literally put out another Jet Set Radio game on XBOX not long after after the Dreamcast was already dead. I don't see your point. Yakuza is fucking huge right now and you can play it just about anywhere now. Furthermore, the five highest rated PS4 games of last year were ALL multiplatform at release. Resident Evil REmake 2, Sekiro, Monster Hunter World IB, Apex and Devil May Cry 5. REmake 2 is utterly gorgeous and performs excellently on all platforms.

Last edited by GenNaz,

Treeko

Trophies
XP
Country
Halo/Forza/Gears were some of my favorite games during the 360 era then they started overdoing those, they lost their charm along the way for me, indie games don't really get much attention from me maybe if I was younger I'd have given them more time, Sega of the past (1999/2000) would absolutely fund a IP like Bayonetta for their hardware but the sega of today will never do that because its too risky for their investment, same as a third party developer Sony would never fund Guerilla for a new IP like HZD as it would be too risky for them in an open ended environment, RE2 was my personal goty from last year also about it performing excellently on all platforms maybe you should go and see the performance of that game on the base consoles and how much of a unoptimized mess it is, another perk of exclusives is that shows what's possible with a single piece of hardware something third party games never tend to exhibit, but when it comes to the game of this generation it would have to go to a game like BOTW/GoW/Bloodborne or fire emblem three houses according to who you ask, exclusives tend to be some of the most unique experiences out there and that's just not something from this generation, its been proven over multiple generations.

Last edited by Treeko,

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Um some of those 20/30 year olds go on to become doctors surgeons and athletes. it's not hard to get a spendable grand, let alone a decent gaming pc for under a grand. these people are not as poor as you think they are
Yr Talking about 10% 20%of the population lol as I said millions and millions in every country hardly anyone has a grand just like tht to spend on a pc for those at are interested in gaming

Edgarska

Conjurer of cheap tricks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yr Talking about 10% 20%of the population lol as I said millions and millions in every country hardly anyone has a grand just like tht to spend on a pc for those at are interested in gaming
You don't need $1000 to play a game with PS4-equivalent settings. You can easily build a computer with the cheapest Ryzen CPU and a GTX 1050 ti and it will beat PS4 performance. Swap the GPU for a 1060 to match PS4 Pro performance.

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You don't need $1000 to play a game with PS4-equivalent settings. You can easily build a computer with the cheapest Ryzen CPU and a GTX 1050 ti and it will beat PS4 performance. Swap the GPU for a 1060 to match PS4 Pro performance.
I kno tht as ps4 pro is getting old now when I say a grand I'm basing it on better than ps4 pro as thts what everyone here wants so you want pc play highest settings yr gonna least a grand pc - I was basing the grand thing on the ps5

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/40XQ8L9wsCA?si=GzpPBaHQQLU0plt_ Neat