Final Fantasy XVI will be exclusive to PS5 for six months

In a new promotional video, Sony let slip the exclusivity window for Final Fantasy XVI. The trailer shows brief gameplay from a variety of upcoming titles, with release information in small print at the bottom, one of which reads "Final Fantasy XVI anticipated Summer 2023. PS5 exclusive for six months." While the release window of Summer 2023 was already known, the exact nature of its exclusivity has been hard to pin down.

As reported by IGN after the game's announcement at a PS5 event in September 2020, a trailer for Final Fantasy XVI initially said it would be a PlayStation Console Exclusive, but also available on PC. This trailer was taken down and replaced with another that omitted that text, and IGN was reportedly asked by Square Enix to retract any mention of a PC release from its article. While other platforms haven't been confirmed by Square Enix yet, given this information, it's likely we'll see a PC release after at least six months of PS5 exclusivity.

Whether it will come to other consoles, namely Xbox, is murkier. At the time of that trailer's release and retraction, industry analyst Piers Harding-Rolls reported that Sony had confirmed to him that the game would be a completely exclusive to the PlayStation 5 for six months, and a console exclusive for twelve months. This was never independently confirmed, but it does appear to link up with this new information. If it is true, it would imply the game is also coming to Xbox Series X|S at some point as well.

Reactions: Mama Looigi

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Basically, there's less less reason to buy a ps5 as many AAA games are coming to PC. I hope they will suffer loss as PS5 supply returns to normal.

Suffering is a a very odd thing to wish upon people for something like video game exclusives. Ask yourself, is it really that big of a deal to think that way? No one has to like it, but it's certainly not only Sony. MS and Nintendo also have exclusives, but I see nothing about wanting them to suffer or sell less consoles over it. It is what it is. I can't believe in 2022 people still get upset about exclusives. Time sensitive or not.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still need to play final fantasy intergrade, which I own for the ps5. I've heard mixed reactions about the game. I'm not sure how they could stretch a 40 hour game into just the midgard parts.

eriol33

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Suffering is a a very odd thing to wish upon people for something like video game exclusives. Ask yourself, is it really that big of a deal to think that way? No one has to like it, but it's certainly not only Sony. MS and Nintendo also have exclusives, but I see nothing about wanting them to suffer or sell less consoles over it. It is what it is. I can't believe in 2022 people still get upset about exclusives. Time sensitive or not.
I was talking about the scalpers

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Haha exactly what I was thinking, wake me up when PS5 exclusivity ends and FF16 releases on PC
Sony doesn't have the best track record getting their games to PC. After 3 console gens, we finally got The Last Of Us part 1 on PC, and it released as a glitchy ugly mess.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: This is how I have to do it w uremum... https://youtu.be/wV_BPDi8Ems?si=1UUzI1S7Rp6sujmq