PS VR2 to launch in February at $549.99

psvr.JPG

The wait is nearly over for PS VR fans as Sony's next-generation VR gaming headset has a release date. In a PlayStation Blog post today, the company announced that the PS VR2 will launch February 22, 2023. The package, which comes with the PS VR2 headset, PS VR2 Sense controllers and stereo headphones, will retail at an RRP of $549.99 / €599.99 / £529.99 / ¥74,980 (including tax for GBP, EUR, and JPY), with pre-orders starting November 15.

box 1.jpg

Sony also provided the pricing for other bundles and accessories as well:
  • PlayStation VR2 Horizon Call of the Mountain bundle at $599.99 / €649.99 / £569.99 / ¥79,980 (Includes PlayStation Store voucher code for Horizon Call of the Mountain, PS VR2 headset, PS VR2 Sense controllers, and stereo headphones)
  • PlayStation VR2 Sense controller charging station at $49.99 / €49.99 / £39.99 / ¥5,480 (Players can charge the PS VR2 Sense controller through a simple click-in design, without having to connect to a PS5 console – freeing up the console’s USB ports.)
vr box.jpg dock.jpg

As for software titles, they will be available for pre-orders starting this month. Are there any games you are looking forward to on the system?

:arrow: SOURCE

Alosho

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Reminder: If you get PSVR 2 you're buying a NEXT-GEN VR headset, don't compare it to quest 2, that's just cellphone VR, not even using a current phone's cpu/gpu. Compare this to buying a mid-range PC and one of the best VR headsets available.
Post automatically merged:

Quest 2 optics wise was way above cellphone

Sure the processor was not great, but you could hook it up to your pc
I have quest 2, a WMR headset, and believe me when I tell you that there is almost nothing worth playing on PC compared to even the very tech-limited PSVR 1. I would take Astrobot and Resident Evil 7 over Half-Life Alyx any day.

Too expensive for a console accessory, its like a toy to plug on another, value wise.
PSVR 2 is not a console accessory, it's almost like getting a new console, it is that different from flat games, you are just using the PS5's brains, and VR is not just 'a toy'.

Not really sure why they aren't making these PC compatible, when they are already bringing their games to PC.
It uses a custom USB C/Display Port connector that no current PC has, regular USB C does not have enough bandwidth for PSVR 2, unless they also work on drivers for all of the sensors and sell you a PCI-E adaptor it would be very difficult to make it compatible with PC.

Getting some PS3 launch flashbacks.
I don't agree, PSVR 2 is next-gen VR for people that already own a PS5, PS3 was trying to convince people to pay 600 USD or you got nothing, if you have a PS5 just wait until there is a price drop and more games come out.

the Quest 2 was 300 bucks in 2020 and doesn't even need to be hooked up to anything to play games. Sure Facebook was hemorrhaging money from it, but there's been 2 years for tech to innovate and this thing is only really a sidegrade to the quest 2 for wayyyyy more money.

Most people still don't even have a PS5 or have the need to get a PS5 yet 2 years after launch, meaning that you'd have to shell out over a thousand dollars for a console and headset that aint got no games
Again, no, if you compare this to Quest to I invite you to look at the specs of both headsets and watch some first-impressions videos about it, I have a quest 2 and the optics are WORSE than PSVR 1, colors are terrible and there are very few games that are worth it, PSVR 2 is next-gen VR, Quest 2 needs a top of the line PC to even think about coming close to PSVR 2.

Last edited by Alosho,
Reactions: DbGt and Danster75

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Unless the PSVR dropped features as opposed to improving them, I still don't see the limitation in B/W compatibility. You can use PS4 controllers with the PS5.
Because both headsets work in very different ways. The first PSVR used the camera accessory, and the camera tracked the positioning of the headset and the two PS Move controllers.
The new PSVR2 doesnt use the camera accessory for tracking. It has 4 cameras on the headset itself, looking outwards for its tracking.
Sony cant just make it backwards compatible. The games would have to be individually patched by their respective devs, to utilise the new VR headset's tracking system.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I expected 450€ (or 500), I feel that's why they increased the console's price, because they couldn't sell VR more than the console (but they did it anyway!). instead of making VR cheaper, they decided to make the console more expansive.
600+Game is a little too much for me right now.
I was interested only in horizon so far, for the graphics and to test VR2, but I'll pass until there are more game choices for cheaper. Maybe in a year.

But when they sell a single "classic" PS5 controller for 200$/240€, we can imagine how much are VR controllers? The VR couldn't be cheaper than 600.
If Nintendo can sell overpriced products, then why not Sony.

It was bound to happen there'd be an Apple of gaming consoles.

Alosho

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
If Nintendo can sell overpriced products, then why not Sony.

It was bound to happen there'd be an Apple of gaming consoles.

Do you know how much a competitor headset costs? Not even with the same specs.
This is actually a great price for the tech you get with it. Please try to find a similar headset for the same price, you will very quickly notice that there is no such thing.

Mama Looigi

If you read this, I'm now your mother
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
This is actually a great price for the tech you get with it. Please try to find a similar headset for the same price, you will very quickly notice that there is no such thing.
The vast majority of them are speaking from the perspective of someone who bought a Quest 2- a cheap mobile toy you can afford with enough gift cards at the cost of your morals (FB account)

They have a very different perspective from VR enthusiasts :unsure:

Tweaker_Modding

Siezure Dice™
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That price is expected for the features you get with the PSVR 2 compared to the Quest Pro which is essentially a Quest 2 in a new shell that costs 3 times more than this.

Whilst I want one, I may not get one at launch and will wait until people get it unofficially working on the PC with SteamVR like they did the PSVR 1 or if any new games that really interest me come out for it.

Reactions: shaunj66

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PlayStation is mainly a console brand so I wouldn't put it on the same pedestal as other VRs on PC.

Despite being a console brand and all, Sony's releasing the Edge controller which'll cost about $250.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PlayStation is mainly a console brand so I wouldn't put it on the same pedestal as other VRs on PC.

Despite being a console brand and all, Sony's releasing the Edge controller which'll cost about $250.
it's $200, which is still too high. they went on sale earlier this week or last iirc. I had an opportunity to buy one, since I'm a controller collector, but after reviewing the price again, I was just like, "jesus, what a ripoff!"

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Alosho

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

We're not talking about the edge controller here.

I don't understand what your point is when you say that PSVR 2 'is not on the same pedestal as other VRs', what does that have to do with your complaint about the price?

It's next-gen VR tech at a much better price than the alternatives.

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm amazed people even care for this kind of thing.
Its potential for permanent eye damage is glaringly obvious, and while the immersion presented by the device feels fun, it's not nearly 10% of what I would consider a true "Virtual Reality" experience.
We're still very far away from that.

Alosho

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'm amazed people even care for this kind of thing.
Its potential for permanent eye damage is glaringly obvious, and while the immersion presented by the device feels fun, it's not nearly 10% of what I would consider a true "Virtual Reality" experience.
We're still very far away from that.
Permanent eye damage? What?
Do you even know what you're talking about?
Please share your sources for this very bold claim.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We're not talking about the edge controller here.

I don't understand what your point is when you say that PSVR 2 'is not on the same pedestal as other VRs', what does that have to do with your complaint about the price?

It's next-gen VR tech at a much better price than the alternatives.
It's because it's not officially PC-compatible so there's that difference when comparing to the other VRs. Hopefully Sony rectifies that part and makes it PC Compatible.

it's $200, which is still too high. they went on sale earlier this week or last iirc. I had an opportunity to buy one, since I'm a controller collector, but after reviewing the price again, I was just like, "jesus, what a ripoff!"
A bit cheaper, but still way too much.

Xbox One Elite controller on Amazon costs $175. Actually, it's not called "Xbox One Elite" anymore, it's Microsoft Elite Series controller.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
even as a controller collector, that's just too much, especially when that's nearly half of how much I get/month. I also had to factor in October and November, tons of games coming out, I have the most limited edition of god of war preordered as well as the pokemon switch, which comes out this Friday. I had to cancel several preorders as not to spend too much money at one time, but I think I can afford it, just don't want to be that low. I've been recovering ever since a year ago when I bought the ps5 and oled switch (the normal, white one). I still haven't gotten above $1,000.

Ettino

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
LMAO! That'll be 750-800 canuck dollars. Thank you very much! Just in time for us to enter recession at the end of 2022.

scoobydude51

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It uses a custom USB C/Display Port connector that no current PC has, regular USB C does not have enough bandwidth for PSVR 2, unless they also work on drivers for all of the sensors and sell you a PCI-E adaptor it would be very difficult to make it compatible with PC.

Of course Sony would use a connector that’s proprietary…

Reactions: Marc_LFD

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Because both headsets work in very different ways. The first PSVR used the camera accessory, and the camera tracked the positioning of the headset and the two PS Move controllers.
The new PSVR2 doesnt use the camera accessory for tracking. It has 4 cameras on the headset itself, looking outwards for its tracking.
Sony cant just make it backwards compatible. The games would have to be individually patched by their respective devs, to utilise the new VR headset's tracking system.

I think an operating system can interpret the input and translate it to a legacy format if there was a will to do so on Sony's part.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: No way, Switch pro will be next