PS VR2 to launch in February at $549.99

psvr.JPG

The wait is nearly over for PS VR fans as Sony's next-generation VR gaming headset has a release date. In a PlayStation Blog post today, the company announced that the PS VR2 will launch February 22, 2023. The package, which comes with the PS VR2 headset, PS VR2 Sense controllers and stereo headphones, will retail at an RRP of $549.99 / €599.99 / £529.99 / ¥74,980 (including tax for GBP, EUR, and JPY), with pre-orders starting November 15.

box 1.jpg

Sony also provided the pricing for other bundles and accessories as well:
  • PlayStation VR2 Horizon Call of the Mountain bundle at $599.99 / €649.99 / £569.99 / ¥79,980 (Includes PlayStation Store voucher code for Horizon Call of the Mountain, PS VR2 headset, PS VR2 Sense controllers, and stereo headphones)
  • PlayStation VR2 Sense controller charging station at $49.99 / €49.99 / £39.99 / ¥5,480 (Players can charge the PS VR2 Sense controller through a simple click-in design, without having to connect to a PS5 console – freeing up the console’s USB ports.)
vr box.jpg dock.jpg

As for software titles, they will be available for pre-orders starting this month. Are there any games you are looking forward to on the system?

:arrow: SOURCE

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think an operating system can interpret the input and translate it to a legacy format if there was a will to do so on Sony's part.
Its not just a matter of input. The first PSVR used an actual camera that sat under your TV, which is no longer there for PSVR2. You cant compensate for that no longer being there without each game needing to be individually patched to no longer require the data that the camera provided.
This isnt like making a HTC Vive and a Oculus Rift cross compatible with each other. The first PSVR was quite different from other VR headsets with its use of the camera.

Kitocco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With the way Sony dropped the PSVR1 like a hot potato, uh, thanks but no thanks.
Sony PlayStation: The Console Pull-Out King

See: Vita, the “PS2 on PS4“ stint with a library so small it that makes the ratio between Wii U & Wii’s VC look GENEROUS, the PSOne Classic where they used an open source emulator POORLY yet won’t swallow their pride & just use RPCS3 if it’s sooooo hard for them to figure out their OWN arcane-as-all-get-out tech

Anyhow, I get that this is still “cheaper” than a lot of similarly, if not MORE specced-out headsets, but the only way this will be justified to me if this gets PCVR compatibility (and I STILL would be rocking a 2K60 SDR monitor LOL), like the first one did thanks to mods… with varying success.
sure would be nice if they were cool like they are with their controllers, but alas they’re still operating on the decades-old “walled garden” approach. Well, mostly.

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Id argue the price is reasonable in some sense when you consider the fact that the first PSVR cost £350 and came with no controllers or the camera. Meaning the full set up cost nearly £500 the first time around anyway. Having said that, I wouldnt rush to buy it purely because I dont trust the game library to be worthwhile.

$550 is a lot of money, and when you factor in that the PS5 is still so hard to get a hold of, I cant see the headset selling so well.
Which will then naturally lead to game devs not wanting to invest time and resources in developing games for it.

Reactions: tabzer

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Its not just a matter of input. The first PSVR used an actual camera that sat under your TV, which is no longer there for PSVR2. You cant compensate for that no longer being there without each game needing to be individually patched to no longer require the data that the camera provided.
This isnt like making a HTC Vive and a Oculus Rift cross compatible with each other. The first PSVR was quite different from other VR headsets with its use of the camera.

Camera information indicating position/movement can potentially be emulated/transliterated. Relevant data can still be delivered by the PSVR2 allowing a wrapper/module to do the work in the OS. There maybe some game features that I don't know about that rely on a camera (unrelated to tracking), but that can be merged with data from an actual camera. I doubt it's a hardware restriction preventing Sony from making the PSVR2 backwards compatible.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
PSVR originally cost $400 dollars with no controllers or camera. If you calculate for inflation, the PSVR2 costs even less.

@Rune already touches on this. Sorry for the redundancy.

Last edited by tabzer,

phiberoptix

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I played with meta's quest 2 for like an hour and quickly lost interest. I was more hyped about this headset before trying VR than after tbh. And at this price, forget it.

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The first time I used a VR headset, feeling I got was "I can see how this could be the future, but we're not quite there yet.".
Its been a few years since, and I now own a Oculus (Meta) Quest 2, and my feeling still hasnt changed.
VR is still stuck in a state where they havent figured out how to make the next generational leap in advancement since its early days, and the price is still a major barrier for far too many people.

Danster75

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I expected this kind of price, perhaps a bit higher given the impressive specifications. Also very few people seem to realize that the use of OLED and HDR should be able to deliver superior levels of contrast and true blacks which should contribute quite a bit to image quality and atmosphere especially in VR. Like walking from a dark environment like a cave, perhaps seeing some bright shafts of light pooring in (with no backlight bleeding) or walking into a bright valley and almost feeling the sunlight.
The LG OLED tv I purchased a few years ago also added a lot in this regard.

I have no illusion that VR will replace 2D gaming or that there will be much high-quality content for it anytime soon, if ever.
Regardless I'll be getting one at launch with the Horizon game/demo just to be able to take in the great-looking world in vibrant HDR OLED glory. And bring on RE8..

Last edited by Danster75,

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that's way more money then the Steam Deck who would buy this for that price.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Did a quick Google search to make sure but this is one of the most expensive VR headsets coming to the market. Sony really be out here just providing more reasons to jump from Console gaming to PC. PS5 is still a struggle to find, more and more exclusives are being ported to PC, and now one of this expensive VR headset.
It's really not. It's hard to find any headset under this price point, the only ones that actually exist that I know of are the Quest 2 and Pico 4.
The HP Reverb G2 is around the same price, and that is about what you can expect for an all-in-one package with inside out tracking. Not unreasonably priced at all.

Reactions: Mama Looigi

Valwinz

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
It's really not. It's hard to find any headset under this price point, the only ones that actually exist that I know of are the Quest 2 and Pico 4.
The HP Reverb G2 is around the same price, and that is about what you can expect for an all-in-one package with inside out tracking. Not unreasonably priced at all.
those ones have games and can be used in your PC this one has no games and you need a a console to play it

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
those ones have games and can be used in your PC this one has no games and you need a a console to play it
You're assuming everybody owns a gaming PC, I'd say more people probably own a console than a gaming PC because gaming PCs are expensive.

Fair on the no games point though, Sony made the wrong move not offering PSVR backwards compatibility. PC VR games are basically backwards compatible all the way back to the first consumer Rift. ReVive can be used to get Rift games working on SteamVR headsets, and Steam offers built in controller emulation so that games designed for Vive controllers can still work with other controllers. Even if that controller emulation is janky AF and doesn't always work. There's just no excuse for not offering any backwards compatibility at all when the platforms are so similar hardware wise.

Reactions: Alosho

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For the kit it's.... not that bad a price really! It's just that 'on paper' price: if they could've knocked the $50 off it: $499 sounds attractive - $500-odd does not, and never will really!
However, anyone that really wants one of these will already have a PS5 (or is planning one) so the 'extra price for the console' argument is pretty redundant.. and like I say it is a good bit of kit.

Back compat though, well.. reading up on it I can see why it doesn't work, but surely a good idea would've been an announcement by now to port over [some of] those games (cheaper than creating new ones) and offering them free to current PSVR1 owners (yeeahhh I know haha, it's Sony we're talking about, I'm fukkin' pushing it there!!) Would've made good marketing sense Sony...

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
For the kit it's.... not that bad a price really! It's just that 'on paper' price: if they could've knocked the $50 off it: $499 sounds attractive - $500-odd does not, and never will really!
However, anyone that really wants one of these will already have a PS5 (or is planning one) so the 'extra price for the console' argument is pretty redundant.. and like I say it is a good bit of kit.

Back compat though, well.. reading up on it I can see why it doesn't work, but surely a good idea would've been an announcement by now to port over [some of] those games (cheaper than creating new ones) and offering them free to current PSVR1 owners (yeeahhh I know haha, it's Sony we're talking about, I'm fukkin' pushing it there!!) Would've made good marketing sense Sony...
What would really make this specific headset appealing is to add PC support. The specs sound so nice, but I'm not about to buy a console I don't care for just for VR.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
If you dont already have a PS5, then this clearly isnt aimed at you.
No shit, sherlock. It's just one of the better headsets (on paper) we've seen in a while.

Meanwhile, we've got Meta being absolutely mental with their Quest Pro, and the new Pico headsets may never officially be sold here stateside. Sony could take advantage of this situation.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you dont already have a PS5, then this clearly isnt aimed at you.
Oooh, you can tell I'm a Gemini - Mr 2-faced is gonna agree with you both to a certain extent :lol:
Rune is right, I wouldn't say this would even be a good buy if it did also have PC support (unless you also had a PS5) But yes PC support on top of PS5 would be an excellent idea, it would definitely improve the value then!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/sQK1btk8ZUs?si=Z4p2kuM_7fXV7_Ps