Hacking PS1 Classics Emulator Compatibility List

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
Try different rips or regions also a lot of PS games are in BIN/CUE format which doesn't always ISO up correctly in my experience and CDDA don't work either (thats off the top of my head though). Ultimately its hacked emulation - 90% of the time it works every time.

hexcode99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try different rips or regions also a lot of PS games are in BIN/CUE format which doesn't always ISO up correctly in my experience and CDDA don't work either (thats off the top of my head though). Ultimately its hacked emulation - 90% of the time it works every time.

Now that I think of it, I think these were in BIN format. Is there a good program to convert them to ISO for better PS3 playback?

Last edited by hexcode99,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Now that I think of it, I think these were in BIN format. Is there a good program to convert them to ISO for better PS3 playback?
Yes, you can open .cue (and of course, together with it all the individual track files) in IsoBuster (unregistered version is fine), right click the whole disc and export

hexcode99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, you can open .cue (and of course, together with it all the individual track files) in IsoBuster (unregistered version is fine), right click the whole disc and export

Thanks, will give that try.
Oddly, I put in a PS1 disk and used "Create ISO" in multiman and it too created it as a BIN and CUE file.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thanks, will give that try.
Oddly, I put in a PS1 disk and used "Create ISO" in multiman and it too created it as a BIN and CUE file.
ISO is actually the inferior format, as the name says it's supposed to be a single ISO9660 data track...

BIN can be a full disc image, or a single track image; in either case, error correction (where applicable) is included (but not subchannels); CUE files complement them by telling how to assemble multiple tracks into the full disc or where the full disc should be split into tracks.
To make the whole deal more annoying, not all software that dumps CUEs gets the exact track positions right! And yes, at least one PS1 game cares

I don't know if Multiman uses single or split .bin; most likely it's the combined one

(although in practice, ISO and BIN naming is often interchanged)
Therefore it's not really practical to call out a single "best format" on the basis of file extensions, as the cue file can point to anything to be the actual data
(if you really want to know, the most accurate is CloneCD IMG + CUE + SUB - where the img is a whole-disc BIN under a different name.....)

In general, CD game consoles push the CD format to its limits (mode 1 data tracks, mode 2 audio tracks, XA mode 2 form 1 data tracks that can be mixed with mode 2 form 2 data tracks without error correction optimized for streaming, all possibly used on the same disc... luckily the PS1 doesn't support multisession :D)

Of course, some PS1 games don't use streaming CDDA audio nor subchannel copy protection (is that even emulated by running-on-PS3 PS1 backup loaders? at least most of those games have cracks available), so the single data track may well be enough :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :O:rofl2: +1