PS2 not spinning up disc

KuraV12

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Today i came across this ps2, the person who sent it to me said that „the tray opens and closes by itself” i thought „improper modchip install 100%” i opened it up and it had a little 8 wire pic chip wired up to the board, and one of the ribbon cables was unplugged, along with some colorful plugs (also from the dvd drive). I desoldered the chip and plugged everything back in, now it works at least, but it doesn’t spin up the disc. Sometimes i hear a click but the disc is not spinning. And sometimes i see one turn and then not spinning again. A friend says „dead laser” but i don’t think do, since the disc doesn’t even want to spin up!

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Today i came across this ps2, the person who sent it to me said that „the tray opens and closes by itself” i thought „improper modchip install 100%” i opened it up and it had a little 8 wire pic chip wired up to the board, and one of the ribbon cables was unplugged, along with some colorful plugs (also from the dvd drive). I desoldered the chip and plugged everything back in, now it works at least, but it doesn’t spin up the disc. Sometimes i hear a click but the disc is not spinning. And sometimes i see one turn and then not spinning again. A friend says „dead laser” but i don’t think do, since the disc doesn’t even want to spin up!
  • Could you take a picture of the PIC modchip?
  • Could you provide model of the PS2?
  • Could you provide the serial number of the PS2?
This so we can confirm if it isinstalled correctly and help with the correct firmware matching the console.

If the defect is not caused directly by the modchip it could mean the following 3 problems:
  • The laser could be gone (possibly caused by the modchip overpowering the laser LED).
  • The (servo-)motor is either gone or not connected.
  • There could be a fuse burned.

Last edited by JaapDaniels,
Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Do you have a picture of the modchip in question? PIC chip would mean that its one of the earliest that require a boot disc, such as an Action Replay. Was called the NEO 2?

KuraV12

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Do you have a picture of the modchip in question? PIC chip would mean that its one of the earliest that require a boot disc, such as an Action Replay. Was called the NEO 2?
Here ya go, i desoldered it already tho. And it’s a GH-010 and SCPH-30004

Attachments

• EE40A299-107C-4A84-8FFD-3C1EA1C62834.jpeg
    EE40A299-107C-4A84-8FFD-3C1EA1C62834.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • E020030D-CF25-49CE-AD8A-30818946B9A8.jpeg
    E020030D-CF25-49CE-AD8A-30818946B9A8.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1559.jpeg
    IMG_1559.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 2

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Here ya go, i desoldered it already tho. And it’s a GH-010 and SCPH-30004
Yep that is NEO 2. I would suggest removing that chip, and replace it with a Modbo 5.

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A friend suggested tweaking the laser pots also, so i’ll do that. But is modbo 5 from ali safe? I have my doubts
Yes. I have bought Modbo 5 chips before, and they have always worked without issues.

KuraV12

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yes. I have bought Modbo 5 chips before, and they have always worked without issues.
I heard on reddit of people saying „modbo 5 shit!!!” But ok, i’ll order one. And by the way the pot tweak didn’t work, the same friend said that before buying a new laser there’s still one thing and i’m still waiting for a reply.

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I heard on reddit of people saying „modbo 5 shit!!!” But ok, i’ll order one. And by the way the pot tweak didn’t work, the same friend said that before buying a new laser there’s still one thing and i’m still waiting for a reply.
I don't understand why people have to nitpick over a product vs the other. If it boots backups and does everything that its needed to do, then that's good.

KuraV12

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I don't understand why people have to nitpick over a product vs the other. If it boots backups and does everything that its needed to do, then that's good.
I heard people say stuff like "Modbo 5 isn't a real modbo, it's just a generic chip" and "Modbo 5 will brick your bios!! use modbo 4 instead" but where i live i can only get modbo 5 and mars pro 806hd, and i heard that the mars pro 806 has very dubious compatibility with fat models, especially the early ones

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I heard people say stuff like "Modbo 5 isn't a real modbo, it's just a generic chip" and "Modbo 5 will brick your bios!! use modbo 4 instead" but where i live i can only get modbo 5 and mars pro 806hd, and i heard that the mars pro 806 has very dubious compatibility with fat models, especially the early ones
That is incorrect. Modbo 5 does not brick your BIOS. Only ones that I know of being the Matrix Infinity 1.99 clones, will brick the modchip's flash if you try saving the settings. By re-programming the chip with a backup firmware using a SOIC-8 clip, it will work again.

GothicIII

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I had a similar issue with my slim Model 77004 with a (legit) Matrix infinity modchip. The original laser was dead so I ordered a new one.
After it arrived the disc wouldn't spin up. I also thought ok its the potys so I tweaked them but the disc still didn't spin up.

After further investigation I realized that I had a wrong laser unit. It wasn't compatible with my ps2 model (was labeled 'compatible with 7xxxxx').
Ordered a new one and after the new unit arrived the drive instantly started working.

Just my 2 cents.

KuraV12

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
That is incorrect. Modbo 5 does not brick your BIOS. Only ones that I know of being the Matrix Infinity 1.99 clones, will brick the modchip's flash if you try saving the settings. By re-programming the chip with a backup firmware using a SOIC-8 clip, it will work again.
What would happen if i install a modbo 5 and after some time uninstall it? Will it then brick it? And i was curious about those matrix 1.99 clones, i saw a video from RGA where he said that two facilities that manufacture the chip flash the fw incorrectly and they brick the console when installed. Like does "the factory" know this? Why haven't they still changed this

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What would happen if i install a modbo 5 and after some time uninstall it? Will it then brick it? And i was curious about those matrix 1.99 clones, i saw a video from RGA where he said that two facilities that manufacture the chip flash the fw incorrectly and they brick the console when installed. Like does "the factory" know this? Why haven't they still changed this
I cannot confirm that the Matrix 1.99 clones were flashed incorrectly in two facilities. But what I can say is this chip works as intended; however, like I said, it does not save settings like the Mars Pro.

If you uninstall the modchip then you can still use your stock retail BIOS. All Modbo 5.0s come with a hacked 1.93 with the option to boot from USB (namely v3.1m).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: horny jail is full la