Hardware PS3 Phat CECHK11 120GB Overheating on PS2 games?

EddieEddie90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
So... I got a fat PS3 about two weeks ago, and the first thing I noticed when running any game is that the temperature goes from 60° to 80° (even on psx games wtf) and the fan started sounding like a lawn mover. At first I didn't care at all, but after reading thread after thread of PS3 consoles that met their end with a YLOD, I started worrying about mine. What should I do if it's overheating? the first thing I have in mind is having someone to clean it and then re-applying the thermal paste. I have read these are the best options to keep the console alive. But should I?

Also this is a 10 year old console and the previous owner apparently never got any issues with the overheating at all. I don't believe the Ps3 would kick the bucket all of a sudden after so many years.

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
I have a CECHH01 and for those old consoles is quite normal to sound like a fighter jet after all this time in use.
Mine has YLOD like 4 times already and I've been able to resurrect it every time by disassembling it and applying heat with a heatgun (the process known as reflow). Every time I have applied Arctic MX4 but I ran out of it in the last reflow.
It doesn't matter the quality of the termal compound I apply, my PS3 just keeps getting hot while playing. the real problem is that the termal compound behind the heat spreader of the Cell and RSX has worn out and isn't doing its job anymore, so the heat doesn't escape properly to the heatsink.
Making it blow more air (via CFW) can help for some time to prolong its inevitable fate if you can bear the noise, but it will eventually YLOD.
Replacing the termal compound behind the heat spreader of the Cell and RSX might fix the problem but is risky.

Take a good read at this article and you'll understand what I mean.
https://flake.tweakblogs.net/blog/10754/mythbusting-the-truth-about-playstation-3-cooling

Last edited by Sakitoshi,

tedmg091309131

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by tedmg091309131,

EddieEddie90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I have a CECHH01 and for those old consoles is quite normal to sound like a fighter jet after all this time in use.
Mine has YLOD like 4 times already and I've been able to resurrect it every time by disassembling it and applying heat with a heatgun (the process known as reflow). Every time I have applied Arctic MX4 but I ran out of it in the last reflow.
It doesn't matter the quality of the termal compound I apply, my PS3 just keeps getting hot while playing. the real problem is that the termal compound behind the heat spreader of the Cell and RSX has worn out and isn't doing its job anymore, so the heat doesn't escape properly to the heatsink.
Making it blow more air (via CFW) can help for some time to prolong its inevitable fate if you can bear the noise, but it will eventually YLOD.
Replacing the termal compound behind the heat spreader of the Cell and RSX might fix the problem but is risky.

Take a good read at this article and you'll understand what I mean.
https://flake.tweakblogs.net/blog/10754/mythbusting-the-truth-about-playstation-3-cooling

So bottom line, it's inevitable that the ps3 is gonna die? even if I replace the thermal paste and clean it on the inside?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
So bottom line, it's inevitable that the ps3 is gonna die? even if I replace the thermal paste and clean it on the inside?

If you reball it, you won't have to worry about YLOD anymore.

Truth of the matter is, components don't have an infinite lifespan.
Others might fail eventually.
There's no telling.

EddieEddie90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
If you reball it, you won't have to worry about YLOD anymore.

Truth of the matter is, components don't have an infinite lifespan.
Others might fail eventually.
There's no telling.

Yeah I know electronics can be quite unpredictable most of the time. Btw, what is a reball? does it affect the console in any way? Also, if I do anything to extend the lifespan on my ps3, does that involve formatting it at some point? I don't really want to lose all the games and savedata I have installed over the past week. God knows how many hours I spent doing that.

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
blame ecologists, it's because of the leadfree solder.
leadfree solder starts to crack because of the heating and cooling cycles, reducing that difference is what makes a ps3 live or die.

EDIT: that's what I've read everywhere anyways, I'm no expert in that matter but I understand what happens.

Last edited by Sakitoshi,
Reactions: DinohScene

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yeah I know electronics can be quite unpredictable most of the time. Btw, what is a reball? does it affect the console in any way? Also, if I do anything to extend the lifespan on my ps3, does that involve formatting it at some point? I don't really want to lose all the games and savedata I have installed over the past week. God knows how many hours I spent doing that.

Your HDD can fail.
It can become corrupted or have a head crash.
Your RSX/CPU might crack its BGA due to the repeated heating/cooling process.
Like Sakitoshi said, it's the lead free solder.
Small capacitors can stop working, the fan might die one day.

There's to many components inside it that might cause it to fail.
Replacing the lead free BGA balls underneath the CPU/RSX is a start, it should keep your console from YLOD for years to come.

EddieEddie90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Your HDD can fail.
It can become corrupted or have a head crash.
Your RSX/CPU might crack its BGA due to the repeated heating/cooling process.
Like Sakitoshi said, it's the lead free solder.
Small capacitors can stop working, the fan might die one day.

There's to many components inside it that might cause it to fail.
Replacing the lead free BGA balls underneath the CPU/RSX is a start, it should keep your console from YLOD for years to come.

- Can't the HDD be taken out of the console and perform the reball in order to avoid any kind of data loss?
- Also, should I play normally and wait till' my console gets YLOD to do the reball? or that doesn't matter to do it?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
- Can't the HDD be taken out of the console and perform the reball in order to avoid any kind of data loss?
- Also, should I play normally and wait till' my console gets YLOD to do the reball? or that doesn't matter to do it?

HDD gets removed when it gets reballed anyway.
No, stop doing damage to it if you care about it.

EddieEddie90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
HDD gets removed when it gets reballed anyway.
No, stop doing damage to it if you care about it.

So what should I do? I don't want to screw all the games and saved data I have until now (Only few games matter, though)

And I don't want to go through the trouble of getting a slim right now. Maybe later in the distant future but definitely not now.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
So what should I do? I don't want to screw all the games and saved data I have until now (Only few games matter, though)

And I don't want to go through the trouble of getting a slim right now. Maybe later in the distant future but definitely not now.

Save up money to reball the PS3?
Other then that, FTP every game to your PC, copy all saves to a USB and back up every bit of important data.

Reactions: EddieEddie90

EddieEddie90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Save up money to reball the PS3?
Other then that, FTP every game to your PC, copy all saves to a USB and back up every bit of important data.

Thanks for all the advice!

Also, if I ftp all the games can I install them again or just ftp them back into the console once it's reballed?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Thanks for all the advice!

Also, if I ftp all the games can I install them again or just ftp them back into the console once it's reballed?

I always got backups of every bit of data on me consoles.
Can't never be to careful.

But if you choose to reball your console, bring it to a reball shop and they will reball if for you.
You can not do this on your own as you need specialized equipment.

FTPing everything to your PC isn't needed if you let it reball.
It is needed if you swap consoles.

EddieEddie90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I always got backups of every bit of data on me consoles.
Can't never be to careful.

But if you choose to reball your console, bring it to a reball shop and they will reball if for you.
You can not do this on your own as you need specialized equipment.

FTPing everything to your PC isn't needed if you let it reball.
It is needed if you swap consoles.

So in few words, I just get a reball (And will not lose the console's content on the proccess right?)

Also how much $$ does it cost?

EddieEddie90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Yep, you won't lose data as no data is touched.

I have no clue.
Between 50-100 quid?

Ouch, that sounds pretty expensive. Guess I'll have to save money and start playing less ps3 from now on, that is, If I don't want to get that friggin' yellow light. Oh well.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Replacing thermal paste also under the IHS helps greatly (if done properly and with an acceptable quality product) - the original wasn't terribly special, was applied not so well, is now 10+ years old, and may well have been cooked by repeated overheating or an amateur* reflow

* only because a professional that knows what they did, ought to also have delidded the chips to replace the paste anyway

A rule of thumb is to check the reported temperature and feel the air coming out of the back: while obviously feeling colder due to the wind and non-100%-efficient heat transfer, it should feel appropriately hot. If it doesn't, the heat is not flowing properly to the air, due to any combination of poor paste on either/both side of the IHS, dirty cores/IHS/heatsink, dirty fins...

Of course nothing will last forever, especially bad designs: but you can improve them within possibility and willingness :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Do I make you randy!!! Lol