PS3/PSP private keys released.

cacildo

Went and came back
Trophies
XP
Country
Burkina Faso
doyama said:
There have been some pretty bad articles recently, but Gizmodo's most recent really takes the cake. I don't think there's one correct word.

Gizmodo / Kotaku are always disgusting.

bpear96

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jamstruth said:
anonymourse said:
RupeeClock said:
Geohot has released what's apparently a working homebrew for PS3 now.

QUOTE said:
first piece of homebrew you can run
put in service mode, put on usb stick, boot

How do I get into sevice mode? And can someone give me a more detail tutorial that has steps that have more than 4 words in them?

How to get access to service mode

1. Make sure the PS3 is turned off,
2. Press and hold the power button on the PS3 it will power on then power off.
3. When it's off press and hold the power button again until you hear two consecutive beeps.
4. It will ask for the controller to be connected via the USB cable,
5. Turn on the controller and you will have access to the menu.

Google got that for me. Of course it still doesn't explain how to run the self as according to the tutorial i found service mode gives these options

* Restart System: Restarts the PLAYSTATION®3 System.
* Restore Default Settings: Reset all system settings back to default.
* Restore File System: Checks for corrupt/missing system files.
* Rebuild Database: Rebuilds the OS for the PLAYSTATION®3.
* Restore PS3 System: Fresh restore; Deletes everything and starts from Scratch.
* System Update: Update the PLAYSTATION®3 System

Where does the whole "put on usb stick, boot" bit come from? Unless he means Jailbreak mode instead of service mode.

Edit: Never mind, don't really trust that tut. I'm sure that just defaults the video settings etc. from what i remember of playing on my Bro's PS3. I'll leave it in spoilers though.

nope thats how you get into service mode to reset the video settings you let go of the power button before it reboots. but i think geohot meant jailbreak mode because you cant run .self in service mode.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MFDC12 said:
RupeeClock said:
Have you seen this insulting article about the keys?
http://gizmodo.com/5723167/ps3-hacked-by-g...will-happen-now

QUOTE said:
After German hacker group fail0verflow showed they'd hacked the PS3 to run pirated apps and games, another hacker has published the PS3's root key online, which allows precisely that. [Geohot via Kotaku and PSX-Scene—Thanks, Affan!]

They did NOT hack the PS3 to run pirated content, they hacked it to enable Linux.
And I'm pretty sure the group aren't German at all.

kotaku always does this. they label anyone with a flashcart a pirate (then go on to creating an article to back up your games for use with one). they immediately think hacker = pirate.
well it was gizmodo, not kotaku, and lifehacker wrote that article not kotaku, but they are all under gawker and i kind of agree with you anyway, the general public believes that anything that gives the potential for piracy = automatic pirate

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
bpear96 said:
Jamstruth said:
anonymourse said:
RupeeClock said:
Geohot has released what's apparently a working homebrew for PS3 now.

QUOTE said:
first piece of homebrew you can run
put in service mode, put on usb stick, boot

How do I get into sevice mode? And can someone give me a more detail tutorial that has steps that have more than 4 words in them?

How to get access to service mode

1. Make sure the PS3 is turned off,
2. Press and hold the power button on the PS3 it will power on then power off.
3. When it's off press and hold the power button again until you hear two consecutive beeps.
4. It will ask for the controller to be connected via the USB cable,
5. Turn on the controller and you will have access to the menu.

Google got that for me. Of course it still doesn't explain how to run the self as according to the tutorial i found service mode gives these options

* Restart System: Restarts the PLAYSTATION®3 System.
* Restore Default Settings: Reset all system settings back to default.
* Restore File System: Checks for corrupt/missing system files.
* Rebuild Database: Rebuilds the OS for the PLAYSTATION®3.
* Restore PS3 System: Fresh restore; Deletes everything and starts from Scratch.
* System Update: Update the PLAYSTATION®3 System

Where does the whole "put on usb stick, boot" bit come from? Unless he means Jailbreak mode instead of service mode.

Edit: Never mind, don't really trust that tut. I'm sure that just defaults the video settings etc. from what i remember of playing on my Bro's PS3. I'll leave it in spoilers though.

nope thats how you get into service mode to reset the video settings you let go of the power button before it reboots. but i think geohot meant jailbreak mode because you cant run .self in service mode.

He didn't mean jailbreak mode because there is nothing even vaguely interesting about being able to load a .self in jailbreak mode, that's been possible for ages has it not? I dunno what he's talking about, but its not jailbreak.

Squirps

Official Squirps of GBATemp.net™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OMFG YUSH. o3o

Can't wait for some more great applications and homebrew made on this system!
nayps3.gif

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
SifJar said:
He didn't mean jailbreak mode because there is nothing even vaguely interesting about being able to load a .self in jailbreak mode, that's been possible for ages has it not? I dunno what he's talking about, but its not jailbreak.
Because we have the keys he signed the .self so it will run under service mode as if it was the program Sony made. If we made a program that wasn't signed it wouldn't run. Thanks for the confirm that I'd found the right thing Bpear

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Jamstruth said:
SifJar said:
Because we have the keys he signed the .self so it will run under service mode as if it was the program Sony made. If we made a program that wasn't signed it wouldn't run. Thanks for the confirm that I'd found the right thing Bpear
I'm sorry, what was your point? I was saying geohot was not saying to run in jailbreak mode, and that he therefore was saying to run it in service mode. But you seem to be contradicting me to say...the exact same thing. Huh?

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
SifJar said:
Jamstruth said:
SifJar said:
I'm sorry, what was your point? I was saying geohot was not saying to run in jailbreak mode, and that he therefore was saying to run it in service mode. But you seem to be contradicting me to say...the exact same thing. Huh?
Sorry, misread

Zerox8610

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TwinRetro said:
itoikenza said:
Can't wait for a cwcheat/macro mapping like homebrew for ps3 and maybe even a music.prx like "Mp3PlayingDuringGameThing"

No.
mad.gif

I agree. Cheaters back when the first COD4 exploit was out were the WORST.
The game was unplayable.
NO CHEATS.

Razor1993

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
im heard about that someone is coding an "premiere" channel homebrew. with that we can look cracked Premiera becouse PS3 had a Lan adapter and with the connection to the internet we can wa´tch "cracked Premiere"
Hurray!!! Hope this is true!

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Zerox8610 said:
TwinRetro said:
itoikenza said:
Can't wait for a cwcheat/macro mapping like homebrew for ps3 and maybe even a music.prx like "Mp3PlayingDuringGameThing"

No.
mad.gif

The game was unplayable.
NO CHEATS.

COD4 exploit? I didn't know of any exploits for the PS3 before geohot's hyper visor thing. Are you sure you don't mean glitch? Two VERY different things.

Zerox8610

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SifJar said:
Zerox8610 said:
TwinRetro said:
itoikenza said:

No.
mad.gif

The game was unplayable.
NO CHEATS.

COD4 exploit? I didn't know of any exploits for the PS3 before geohot's hyper visor thing. Are you sure you don't mean glitch? Two VERY different things.

Exploit, not a system exploit like you're thinkin, but you used to be able to replace files in ur save game and enable cheats from the console by binding them to a button.
Example: God mod, No clip, unlimited ammo, permanent laser attachment for any weapon.
All in multiplayer... It was a sad month or so...

squall23

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
TwinRetro said:
itoikenza said:

No.
mad.gif
I honestly don't think any of us have a choice on this. Besides, I would love to be able to cheat on my single player games. Gives me a fun replay of them.

cacildo

Went and came back
Trophies
XP
Country
Burkina Faso
Im checking the news daily, but i doubt we´ll see any stable apps for at least one month or two.

Im ok with that. If these things were easy to do, i would be the first to make my own PS3 game.
The game would probably be "John Bon Jovi and the Space Hookers in the intergalactic cocaine wars".
Unfortunally i cant code anything, so this instant classic will never see the light of the day.

Mikehoncho16

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cacildo said:
Im checking the news daily, but i doubt we´ll see any stable apps for at least one month or two.

Im ok with that. If these things were easy to do, i would be the first to make my own PS3 game.
The game would probably be "John Bon Jovi and the Space Hookers in the intergalactic cocaine wars".
Unfortunally i cant code anything, so this instant classic will never see the light of the day.
...ok that sounds seriously awesome. Someone get behind this idea NOW!

Frostshocker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
cacildo said:

Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

Seriously
ohnoes.png

squall23

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Here's an odd idea that just popped into my head.

Would it be possible for someone to make an app that let's us play PSP games on the PS3 from the PS3's HDD? I don't know why I thought of something like this though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @mthrnite, Cheetah Girls, the sequel to Action 52's Cheetah Men.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
    Veho @ Veho: +1