PS3/PSP private keys released.

Zerox8610

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they checked for new keys, they'd have to have SOME way to run the old stuff too... Like a list of game IDs or something

But if they did it, with the current hardware we could get those keys just as easily. The security is still extremely flawed

Pavichokche

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The only solution Sony has (in my opinion) is to change they key, start producing all new games/applications with that key. Then release a new firmware that looks for those keys. And lastly, they will have to offer free downloads of their games (with the new key) to all people who have purchased the game with the old game. Something similar to what they offered to the people who bought a PSP Go and couldn't use their UMDs.

Needless to say, this will be an INCREDIBLE hassle for poor Sony. However, it would be their only way to preserve their console from being hacked beyond belief. It's either that, or make a new console. But if the rumors about the PSP2 being able to connect with a PS3 are true, then Sony weren't planning to make a new TV console any time soon.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Pavichokche said:
The only solution Sony has (in my opinion) is to change they key, start producing all new games/applications with that key. Then release a new firmware that looks for those keys. And lastly, they will have to offer free downloads of their games (with the new key) to all people who have purchased the game with the old game. Something similar to what they offered to the people who bought a PSP Go and couldn't use their UMDs.

Needless to say, this will be an INCREDIBLE hassle for poor Sony. However, it would be their only way to preserve their console from being hacked beyond belief. It's either that, or make a new console. But if the rumors about the PSP2 being able to connect with a PS3 are true, then Sony weren't planning to make a new TV console any time soon.

Never. Gonna. Happen.

lostmongoose

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pavichokche said:

The didn't do anything like that.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The exploits to get the keys in the first place can't be patched without a hardware revision. So no matter what they do to the keys, loaders can still be exploited to re get the new ones and follow the same process.

Actually, if the AACS keys are leaked, people can sign blurays to play on consoles that are unmodified. However, having the keys is one thing, they still need to reverse the encryption algorithms so the keys can be used.

Basically

Decrypted File ---> Encryption Algorithm ---> Encrypted File
Encrypted File ----> Reversed Encryption Algorithm ---> Decrypted File

Decrypted File ---> Encryption Algorithm (With incorrect key) ---> bad encrypted file (no good)

What we have are encrypted files, decrypted files, keys. What we need to do is reverse the encryption algorithms so we can build programs that do all the above. Once we do that, we would have replicated Sony tools.

cacildo

Went and came back
Trophies
XP
Country
Burkina Faso
sjones900 said:
Man.. there will be no cat and mouse game with this one. The mouse has the axe now.

Five days since the keys were leaked... and im yet to see a homebrew app working without jailbreak dongle

FIVE WHOLE DAYS! AND NOTHING! WHAT ARE THESE GUYS DOI... just joking. I know it takes more than five days to write anything really useful.

However...

What´s your bet? When will we see the first solid piracy method out of this?

Im betting... january 21, two weeks from now.

rave420

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Rydian said:
but coming in and claiming that gbatemp is nothing but piracy is clearly stupidity.

well, i always thought that from day 1 GBAtemp was to be considered the pirate bay of the GBA / NDS scene.
Nowhere else do you find as much help, information and knowledge that allows you to run backups

imho the guys from GBAtemp are trying to send a message though, the message that gbatemp supports legal use of backups of games you own only.
Of course we all know how it is in reality. Still, you gotta put up a front in order to remain legal and up in buisnes.

So certain things are just not talked about, and we are all a group of homebrew enthusiasts who assist each other with getting game backups to run.

There, all happy.

Link00y

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I said it before, I say it again, a change of keys IS POSSIBLE and yes, it could be used to tighten up the security again. However, it is not trivial.

a) Add a second public key to the PS3.
b) Use the private key for the new public key to sign new games.
c) Create a checksum list of the headers of all old games - PSN games could be updated for the new keys I guess.
d) Once the checksum list is complete - remove the original public key.

The new public key would not allow exposal of the private key, if Sony did use a really random number to hide their private key. That system is used by the DSi, however, such a system is flawed as R4i and all other DSi flash cards show - they simulate the header of a known game, the DSi verifies the header and on load the header data is replaced with the actual flashcard header- at that time the DSi already accepted the flash card as valid! Something like that could happen on the PS3 then, so that would raise the security of the system again, however it makes exploits to the verification very possible!

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Link00y said:
I said it before, I say it again, a change of keys IS POSSIBLE and yes, it could be used to tighten up the security again. However, it is not trivial.

a) Add a second public key to the PS3.
b) Use the private key for the new public key to sign new games.
c) Create a checksum list of the headers of all old games - PSN games could be updated for the new keys I guess.
d) Once the checksum list is complete - remove the original public key.

The new public key would not allow exposal of the private key, if Sony did use a really random number to hide their private key. That system is used by the DSi, however, such a system is flawed as R4i and all other DSi flash cards show - they simulate the header of a known game, the DSi verifies the header and on load the header data is replaced with the actual flashcard header- at that time the DSi already accepted the flash card as valid! Something like that could happen on the PS3 then, so that would raise the security of the system again, however it makes exploits to the verification very possible!
Redundant, the key that is hardcoded into the system itself means that no matter what new keys are added into the system, they could all be discovered just as easily.

There is no recovery from this error, since the master key was found.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
LOL, Geohot just busted 3.55 open -- only a matter of time now.
nayps3.gif

New Geohot 3.55 Exploit Video

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
TwinRetro said:
Pavichokche said:
And lastly, they will have to offer free downloads of their games (with the new key) to all people who have purchased the game with the old game.

Never. Gonna. Happen.
I was going to point out the same thing. While they could offer downloads, they'd probably still make you pay all over again.

Am I right in thinking that so far there's still no word yet from Sony about this?

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Snailface said:
LOL, Geohot just busted 3.55 open -- only a matter of time now.
nayps3.gif

New Geohot 3.55 Exploit Video
Pretty cool. And wait a second, didn't he already release that Lv2diag.self, which is apparently what enables this? He says it'll be released as a PUP sometime, so people can actually use it, seeing as apparently you can't load .SELFs without a jailbreak dongle.

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jimmy1994 said:
I think of buying a PS3 ...but can i softmod it and play backuped games like in wii or not???

Are you going to post the same message in any more topics? This is twice I've replied to the same sentence. If you're going to spam any more PS3 topics, I suggest you DO SOME RESEARCH FIRST.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgCjp3-rF_Y