Ps5 edm-020 no life

TheWizard69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you still getting 1.8v line short to ground though?
Yes. I get the 5v on both sides of the f7002. Then 5v at the pad that leads to the first cap. Then 5v volts at the positive side of the first cap. The short seems to start at the inductor. Then everything that follows shows short for that rail. I have the 1.8v reading on the caps on opposite side of wifi module. I thought it was inductor before but pulled that in early stages of troubleshooting. Pulled the TPS chip and surrounding caps as well. Short remained. I am almost thinking i should pull the bios, ,reflash and re-solder. I have seen bios do some strange things. Look at the work i had to do for the Southbridge. You will get a chuckle out of this.... Someone mangled this thing before i got a hold of it. :(
Post automatically merged:

Jkyoho,
Any other ideas?

Attachments

• 20230707_173758.jpg
    20230707_173758.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 54
  • 20230708_182206.jpg
    20230708_182206.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 61
  • 20230708_223420.jpg
    20230708_223420.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 60
Last edited by TheWizard69,

TheWizard69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So here is an update. As a last ditch effort i said. Well let me pull the wifi module and measure again. Pulled the module and all my diode readings now match a known good board. So that wifi module must connect to the 1.8v rail as well. Anyone know what else it connects to? I either have a bad wifi module or the module connects to something else that is shorting that rail. Ideas?

jkyoho

Trophies
Website
form.jotform.com
XP
Country
Canada
So here is an update. As a last ditch effort i said. Well let me pull the wifi module and measure again. Pulled the module and all my diode readings now match a known good board. So that wifi module must connect to the 1.8v rail as well. Anyone know what else it connects to? I either have a bad wifi module or the module connects to something else that is shorting that rail. Ideas?
Yes, wifi module uses 1.8v and 3.3v.
If you put all rest back and short is gone, then will be the wifi module has short.

TheWizard69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, wifi module uses 1.8v and 3.3v.
If you put all rest back and short is gone, then will be the wifi module has short.
Jkyoho, Yeah resisistor was a 200k. Replaced that prior to lifting the module. As soon as module was lifted. Short was gone. I re-balled the module and put it back down. Short returned. So i removed and short is gone again. I think its the module as well but wanted to be sure that module isn't tied to a rail with another component.

TheWizard69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think only BIOS is tied to soc with unique data South bridge, SSD or WiFi module can all be replace no issue. But WiFi module be sure you use same model which printed on the top metal shell
Yep. Definitely. Thanks again for the replies Jkyoho. I think i am finally rounding the bend on this repair. Cheers!

TheWizard69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jkyoho,
Here is an update: The wifi module arrived Wednesday. Sorry I have been slammed at work. Anyway, soldered the module to the board. No shorts at f7002 circuit or the backside of board. Board now goes from 0 to 30 ma then back to 0.1ma.Thermal cam shows the SSD controller heat up first followed by the chip on F7003, then the SouthBridge. Then all three heat sources cool down and i look up and the board is back to 0.1ma. Going to test normal boot up heat sources with my known good Edm-020 board. I was just curious if you had seen this before?

TheWizard69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
clean your Southbridge or redo it. 30mA seems not triggering southbridge to load up all power rail test or BIOS from initial stage
So what do you mean by clean? Just flush some ipa under the chip? I have solid readings on the three components located just under the southbridge chip. The oscillator looks good too.

So what do you mean by clean? Just flush some ipa under the chip? I have solid readings on the three components located just under the southbridge chip. The oscillator looks good too.
Flushed ipa under the Southbridge @ 120 c and 120 air flow. Just enough to get flux out from underneath if there was any and dry up ipa. No change.

TheWizard69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep that is what I did. No change. I have readings from the south bridge so i really dont think its the Southbridge. Maybe i should pull the bios chip and reflash one more time with the original backed up file?

Jkyoho,
Any other ideas?

jkyoho

Trophies
Website
form.jotform.com
XP
Country
Canada
Yep that is what I did. No change. I have readings from the south bridge so i really dont think its the Southbridge. Maybe i should pull the bios chip and reflash one more time with the original backed up file?

Jkyoho,
Any other ideas?
You worked on too many area, you'd isolate each one by yourself from this point.

Dave1254

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hello everyone, i have the same issue with the board EDM-020, but i found the short is in the wifi module, i pull down it and the short is gone, unfortunately the console was manipulated so i need to buy the IC TPS62822DLCT (the previous tech who check it retired it) and found a shorted cap on the IC near of the F7003, i leave the pictures where i found it, i hope it works for someone who´s having the same issue, later on i update if the console turns on, greetings.

Attachments

• 1702067650321.jpg
    1702067650321.jpg
    971.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 1702068013939.jpg
    1702068013939.jpg
    581.9 KB · Views: 38

TheWizard69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone, i have the same issue with the board EDM-020, but i found the short is in the wifi module, i pull down it and the short is gone, unfortunately the console was manipulated so i need to buy the IC TPS62822DLCT (the previous tech who check it retired it) and found a shorted cap on the IC near of the F7003, i leave the pictures where i found it, i hope it works for someone who´s having the same issue, later on i update if the console turns on, greetings.
Yeah these wifi modules are garbage that Sony is using. Glad the post helped you fix your issue Dave. I now have a short at the F7002 inductor. Trying to figure out what feeds the 1.8v to that. I have all my rails all the way through. 12v, 5v 3.3v, 2.0, even have 1.8 on one of the front facing resistors on backside of board where southbridge is located. Short is only on this side indicated of the inductor. The other side is where the take in of 5v is.

Attachments

• 20231210_203312.jpg
    20231210_203312.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 39

stetofix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yeah these wifi modules are garbage that Sony is using. Glad the post helped you fix your issue Dave. I now have a short at the F7002 inductor. Trying to figure out what feeds the 1.8v to that. I have all my rails all the way through. 12v, 5v 3.3v, 2.0, even have 1.8 on one of the front facing resistors on backside of board where southbridge is located. Short is only on this side indicated of the inductor. The other side is where the take in of 5v is.

The 1.8V are generate at the tiny dc dc bug next to your missing inductor and is feeding the WiFi ic.

TheWizard69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jkyoho,
Any ideas of what supplies the 1.8v rail to the F7002 inductor on an EDM-020 board? I have 1.8v on the front facing resistor on bottom side of the Southbridge.

stetofix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Maybe I got your question wrong. But the dcdc bug converter is generating the 1.8V and is feeding your inductor/coil.

wifi_dcdc_v.png

Reactions: jkyoho

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night