www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Rock Raiyu said:
YayMii said:
GameWinner said:
YayMii said:
Oveneise said:
The PSP Go was the worst thing Sony ever did, it was bound to fail. Even my Sony fanatic friend condemned the thing.
I disagree. The worst thing Sony did was betray Nintendo. Sure, that betrayal spawned the original PlayStation, but I bet Sony could've been much better if they didn't backstab their now-ex-partners in the back.

And..well this is a hard decision. Picking up one of these, or Portal 2?
unsure.gif
I thought it was Nintendo who backed out of that deal?
They only backed out because the deal was complete BS. I think Sony only made the PlayStation out of pure anger (or disappointment).
They actually backed out because Phillips made a more superior sound chip. Then Sony sued because Nintendo breached their contract.

You say that as though you researched it. Nintendo fans don't research things, get out of this forum you heathen.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wait, I heard something else. My original statement about the backstabbing may be incorrect. What I heard was that the contract had something about Sony claiming the possession of most of Nintendo (or its revenue) after the deal would've gone through, while someone found that in the contract and thus opted to switch to Phillips.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Found the source of the "backstabbing" info.

QUOTE said:
Their original agreement with Sony from 1988 granted Sony the right to license all CD-based games for the system. And so, Sony quietly did, and announced the system at the Summer CES (Consumer Electronics Show) of 1991 in Chicago, proclaiming that they intended to broadly license it to the whole software industry. Nintendo CEO, Hiroshi Yamauchi, had no intention of losing control over this process and so he went and made an agreement with Sony's rival, Philips, to produce the system instead.
Not as severe as I perceived it earlier, but it's still backstabbing nonetheless. (The superior hardware was an incentive to switch, but not the motive)

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Rock Raiyu said:
DSGamer64 said:
ojsinnerz. said:
This website's reaction toward new video games or news of video game related products:

Remakes or a sequel announced for a PS3/PSP game
>> OMG, REHASH IT'S BEEN DONE BEFORE, NOBODY LIKES SONY. WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT TO PLAY THAT AGAIN, IT'S THE SAME THING BEFORE. THEY JUST RIPPED OFF NINTENDO, 0/10 DIE IN HELL SONY.

Remakes or a sequel announced for a Nintendo game
>> OMG, 10/10 SO GOOD NINTENDO DOES IT AGAIN, SO INNOVATIVE AND IMAGINATIVE. TOTALLY REFRESHING AND NEW. I CAN'T BELIEVE IT. TAKE ALL OF MY MONEY NINTENDO!

PSP Go is dead? Well, a clearance should convince people to pick it up then.
Yeah but at least the games Nintendo is remaking are ones that were huge sellers in their hay day. Star Fox 64 and Zelda: Ocarina of Time are two of the biggest titles that fans have been wanting remade for 15 years and it's finally happening. These types of games aren't just any average games, they were some of the highest reviewed titles of all time originally. Will they hold the same value and enjoyable experiences that the originals had? For sure, it's been a long time for some people and even the younger generation will be able to truly experience and understand why people love those titles so much. I don't think they will get the same kinds of reviews as before, but whatever.

The difference is though, the games being ported to the NGP are fairly recent, not 15-20 year old classics, which is why people dislike the idea. Not to mention they aren't the types of games that sold a shit load of PS3 consoles either. On the same token, Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater didn't sell well on the Xbox and it deserves to sell on a recognized platform, something the Xbox wasn't at that time. Nintendo could probably remake Super Mario 64 with new graphics and stuff and it would sell like hot cakes, Sony couldn't remake any one of their own franchises and have it sell nearly as well because Sony's biggest franchises haven't transitioned well over to the PS3 and so they aren't as recognized.

People would shit bricks if Square Enix remade Final Fantasy 7 and 9 for the NGP though.
What ports do we know? We don't know of any ports for the NGP, we hardly know of any games that are coming to it. They are labeled "Untitled" for a reason.

And I have to agree with machomuu, StarFox fans do not want a remake of 64 but a brand new installment all together.

And its not the fact that "Sony's biggest franchises haven't transitioned well over to the PS3". It's more of the fact that every generation they make new IPs and stop making old ones. Why do you think we haven't had a real Crash Bandicoot or Spyro the Dragon games on the PS2 or PS3? The ones that are made now are not made by Naughty Dog or Insomiac.
You must have missed that whole thing by Sony about Metal Gear Solid 4 being ported to the NGP. That isn't an old game, and it isn't even a legendary title in terms of popularity.

And we all know how well new Star Fox games have turned out in recent years. People hated Star Fox Adventures, I thought it was a fun as hell game and something new coming from what we had prior, but Command and Assault were both absolutely terrible. I'd sooner play the originals remade over another piece of shit that was either of those games. You know that saying 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'? Yeah, that's why people like some games remade, because it was so good that updating it without completely changing the game makes it worth playing again. If you don't want to play great games like Ocarina of Time and Star Fox 64, go buy an NGP and once again enjoy not getting any games from both 1st and 3rd party developers because it will be out way too late and will turn out to be as much of a flop as the PSP was. I stopped playing my PSP because the games suck and there hasn't been anything worth playing in ages. At least the DS has had great games and is still getting new titles despite the 3DS being out, Sony basically abandoned the PSP well over a year ago because they know it was a colossal failure. Sony will have a hard time selling a new portable if it costs more then the 3DS at launch, no one with a right mind is going to piss away more then 300 dollars for a device at launch that has very little announced as being launch titles.

Seems like some of you fanboys don't understand the fact that good games and recognized IP's continue on. Why would Nintendo completely dump their mascots and top selling franchises in favor of new ones? That's the problem with Sony and Microsoft, they have no recognized characters and gaming franchises. Spyro and Crash Bandicoot aren't even Sony exclusive IP's anymore, they haven't been for a long time, not to mention they are sub par franchises that got milked to death on the PS1 and PS2 much like Sony did with Jak and Daxter. Microsoft did as much of milking Halo as Nintendo has done of the Mario franchise, but at least it still remains good for the most part after 25 bloody years.

Yuan

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
TwinRetro said:
Yuan said:
TwinRetro said:
Yuan said:
nathancnc said:
Yuan said:
And for God's sake, a digital distribution hardware supporting only Wireless B type is preposterous.

PSP Go has wireless G

No, it doesn't.

Correct, it only sports Wireless B.

I really didn't understand why didn't sony put wireless g in it. Even DSi has it, and a wireless g chip should be cheap as hell.

Charge more for crappy hardware? sounds like a winning plan to me.

It is not a exact deluxe hardware. And having access to better speeds of G protocol, would only give benefits to a digital distribution only handheld.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DSGamer64 said:
You must have missed that whole thing by Sony about Metal Gear Solid 4 being ported to the NGP. That isn't an old game, and it isn't even a legendary title in terms of popularity.

It was "ported" as a tech demo, there's no announcement on whether it'll be an actual release.

QUOTE said:
And we all know how well new Star Fox games have turned out in recent years. People hated Star Fox Adventures, I thought it was a fun as hell game and something new coming from what we had prior, but Command and Assault were both absolutely terrible. I'd sooner play the originals remade over another piece of shit that was either of those games. You know that saying 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'? Yeah, that's why people like some games remade, because it was so good that updating it without completely changing the game makes it worth playing again. If you don't want to play great games like Ocarina of Time and Star Fox 64, go buy an NGP and once again enjoy not getting any games from both 1st and 3rd party developers because it will be out way too late and will turn out to be as much of a flop as the PSP was. I stopped playing my PSP because the games suck and there hasn't been anything worth playing in ages. At least the DS has had great games and is still getting new titles despite the 3DS being out, Sony basically abandoned the PSP well over a year ago because they know it was a colossal failure. Sony will have a hard time selling a new portable if it costs more then the 3DS at launch, no one with a right mind is going to piss away more then 300 dollars for a device at launch that has very little announced as being launch titles.

Well, people hated SFA because it wasn't Star Fox. It was a completely separate game that they just added Star Fox to at the last second.

Basically from the rest of the statement you're either A) incredibly biased, B) too stubborn to play modern games, or C) have a shitty taste in games.

Seems like some of you fanboys don't understand the fact that good games and recognized IP's continue on. Why would Nintendo completely dump their mascots and top selling franchises in favor of new ones? That's the problem with Sony and Microsoft, they have no recognized characters and gaming franchises. Spyro and Crash Bandicoot aren't even Sony exclusive IP's anymore, they haven't been for a long time, not to mention they are sub par franchises that got milked to death on the PS1 and PS2 much like Sony did with Jak and Daxter. Microsoft did as much of milking Halo as Nintendo has done of the Mario franchise, but at least it still remains good for the most part after 25 bloody years.

I wouldn't say Microsoft milked Halo nearly as much as Nintendo did for Mario. There's been 6 Halo games since 2001 (Halo, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo ODST, Halo Reach, and Halo Wars). There's been a bagillion Mario games since Mario came out and probably many, many more Mario games than Halo games since 2001. And to be fair, there are A LOT of shitty Mario games.

Spyro and Crash just became shitty once they left the PSX. I thought it was a stupid choice to ditch the IP altogether.

You also act as though every video game character that doesn't have a Nintendo tag on it is bad.

Invisible Man

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Assuming Sony maintains their PSP service on MediaGo (which they probably will since the NGP supports PSP games and PS3 supports a subset of PSP games) and to not piss off current PSP users. Then all you would have to do is re-download the games. Plus buying games from the PSStore allows you to use the game on 5 devices at a time.

Even if you had 5 devices activated with your account and they broke then you can call up Sony and have your activation count reset.

Much better than Nintendo's policy whereby you lose your DS and you have to re-buy all your games.

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
relminator said:
10 years from now:

Psp Go craps out = Bye bye 16g worth of PSP games
Pps 3K craps out = Buy another used PSP 3k and still enjoy your games.
You do know that the games you buy are tied to your PSN account? Unless you mean its hacked, then I agree with you.

QUOTE(Law @ Apr 20 2011, 07:08 PM) You say that as though you researched it. Nintendo fans don't research things, get out of this forum you heathen.
I kind of like it here though.
closedeyes.gif

And I'm not necessarily a Nintendo fan. I hold no loyalty to anyone.

As for your reply DSGamer, Guild pretty much said everything I was going to say.

relminator

#AnyaBasic
Trophies
Website
rel.phatcode.net
XP
Country
Invisible Man said:
Assuming Sony maintains their PSP service on MediaGo (which they probably will since the NGP supports PSP games and PS3 supports a subset of PSP games) and to not piss off current PSP users. Then all you would have to do is re-download the games. Plus buying games from the PSStore allows you to use the game on 5 devices at a time.

Even if you had 5 devices activated with your account and they broke then you can call up Sony and have your activation count reset.

Much better than Nintendo's policy whereby you lose your DS and you have to re-buy all your games.

You assume too much. ;*)

I'm happy with my PSP 3k and buying a GO would be a waste of money.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
relminator said:
You assume too much. ;*)

I'm happy with my PSP 3k and buying a GO would be a waste of money.

You do realize most people who buy and enjoy their Go are people who just pirate games for it and aren't tied down to PSN restrictions? Even then, you also assume too much. Sony could keep their PSN up ten years from now. You could possibly just download the games from your computer onto your PSP from the network.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I want to pick one up, but I also want Portal 2. I can't buy both, because I don't have enough money and because it's going to take a while until I get more money again.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I like how often you guys use the word "could" in reference to the Online services, as if any other enterprises of any other company lasted long enough to support old cutomers. PSN, WFC and XBox Live aren't the first ones y'know - many, many died before them, DreamArena, XBAND, XBox Live "1.0" (as far as I know, older XBox'es are no longer supported by the XBox Live framework) not to look too far.

Your precious online content will be unavailable to you at some point, which will essentially mean that you bought a game for a fixed ammount of time instead of buying it and having it forever and ever until your bones rot.

Invisible Man

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@relminator: Even if they don't keep the PSStore up it would be easy enough to write a homebrew to backup flash2:/act.dat.

All the other required files can be accessed directly from the memory stick and internal storage (LICENSE folder and game EBOOTs). So if you need them on another PSP just copy flash2:/act.dat and the other files back over and you have all your legitimate games back and playable on OFW.

The homebrew wouldn't even require kernel mode privileges so it could run on any currently released official PSP firmware.

... but I can't see Sony removing the PSStore for a good while since there would be a lot of legal problems seeing as how people have paid for the content and have a right to be able to use said content.

Also Sony allows PS1 and minis to be used on PS3 and PSP with only a single purchase. Same would probably hold true for the NGP with all current PSP purchases being playable on the NGP without re-purchase. As opposed to UMDs which can't be directly used and also only have a small chance of a redemption program being available.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TheDarkSeed said:
I'd say the PSP Go failed as bad as the virtual boy.
Difference is the Virtual Boy is worth more now than the PSPgo will ever be for several reasons
1. It was it's own console and not another iteration of a current console.
2. It had it's own exclusive games that are almost as hard to find as it is.
3. AVGN did a video about it
4. It's Nintendo, I'm not trying to suggest Nintendo is better than Sony, but it's Nintendo
and probably other reasons as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Interesting. The macphone +2