Hacking qlutoo got a talk at 34c3's console hacking/security section!

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
already exists for months j w/o public framebuffer/input support

On top of that, reswitched is against enabling warez/piracy.

Ya someone will eventually enable it just as there are now dumps of old games with no value other than for piracy, but its not going to be from the people doing the hard work.

snoofly

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
where did he say this? (about staying on 1.0.0)
Few days ago on the reswitched discord channel.
He was quite keen to encourage people not to update from 1.0.0 if that’s where they stood at present but I don’t want to miss out on the 3.0.0 scene
so I’m trying to read between the lines a bit.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Yeah, that's bullshit. Homebrew didn't kill the Wii, the DS, 3DS, PSP, or even the GBA, please stop believing that dread and horror will befall a console because of homebrew. It never happened in the past and it won't happen now.
Yes, it's still a big minority that pirates plus it's people that are often to poor to afford the games anyway after saving up for a unit anyway. A prime example of a failed console even before it got opened is the Vita. It didn't do well at all. (I know people will say it's still a success, then why can't I buy it anymoer?)

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, it's still a big minority that pirates plus it's people that are often to poor to afford the games anyway after saving up for a unit anyway. A prime example of a failed console even before it got opened is the Vita. It didn't do well at all. (I know people will say it's still a success, then why can't I buy it anymoer?)

And there's no correlation to the Vita's failure and it being hacked from the get go, homebrew and piracy killing a console is bullshit, that's all I'm saying. People need to stop fearmongering, it's getting really repetitive. The Vita was a failure because it had a lot of things wrong with it.

On top of that, reswitched is against enabling warez/piracy.

Ya someone will eventually enable it just as there are now dumps of old games with no value other than for piracy, but its not going to be from the people doing the hard work.

So....only a handful of people will be able to use it for emulators? Sure sounds fun.

Last edited by the_randomizer,
Reactions: Noroxus

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
And there's no correlation to the Vita's failure and it being hacked from the get go, homebrew and piracy killing a console is bullshit, that's all I'm saying. People need to stop fearmongering, it's getting really repetitive. The Vita was a failure because it had a lot of things wrong with it.

That's what I said, it didn't have piracy of Vita games until years later. It still failed. The Wii had it from the get go and it thrived.

Reactions: weatMod

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's what I said, it didn't have piracy of Vita games until years later. It still failed. The Wii had it from the get go and it thrived.

Right, I get that, I was speaking generally, a lot of people on here lose their shit whenever they think piracy = instant console death. Their unwarranted and unsubstantiated fears about console failure due to piracy is pretty silly; there's no evidence to back up such a claim.

NatsumiX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Piracy/Homebrew = More People will bother to waste +300 for a Switch.
More people that buy the Switch = More $$$ for Nintendo.

They'll be fine.

Last edited by NatsumiX,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Piracy/Homebrew = More People will bother to waste +300 for a Switch.
More people that buy the Switch = More $$$ for Nintendo.

They'll be fine.
You say "waste" but I'm getting my moneys worth and then some.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Piracy claims has been disproven many times... Still piracy hb might slow down development i think.

Nah. Don't think that. If the platform is successful, development will only speed up. Piracy and homebrew never slowed it down prior.

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Them joycons probably brings in loads of cash however.... also most pirates buy the games they like.

Peripherals do offer a nice per-sale-profit margin but they are usually not high volume. Software and royalties off of software sales (and DLC and other additional revenue stream practices) are a major profit driver as they are usually an order of magnitude or more higher in volume of sales than peripherals.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Piracy claims has been disproven many times... Still piracy hb might slow down development i think.

Nope, it's never happened, and never will. The only developers who bitched about it were Renegade Kid, and that's pretty much it. And like what was said, pirates end up buying most games they pirate, so...

And besides, emulators can't be copyrighted, so yeah, no loss from sales, and are considered original works under US law, so...

snoofly

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, nothing like being limited to only running five games lol.
thing is I’m honestly not bothered about piracy. I just want to wait until the machine is open as much as possible
where did he say this? (about staying on 1.0.0)

OK found it here https://gbatemp.net/threads/do-not-update-your-switch-and-find-a-1-0-if-you-can.485733/ but the guys have said update to 3.0 and stay there. This is so confusing!
I asked on discord and think the consensus is the real meat would come from khax and cold boot/keydumps only perhaps possible from exploited bootrom (pkg1ldr?) which i think was hinted from the talk and would only be accessible from 1.0.0.

Also I was thinking that as the devs on the talk do not condone piracy but want to help public enable homebrew, it is best for them also to steer us to 3.0.0 for the same reason.

Anyway, that’s just my finding/thoughts so I’m going to hold out and stick on 1.0.0 for now.

Last edited by snoofly,

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thing is I’m honestly not bothered about piracy. I just want to wait until the machine is open as much

I asked on discord and think the consensus is the real meat would come from khax and cold boot/keydumps only perhaps possible from exploited bootrom (pkg1ldr?) which i think was hinted from the talk and would only be accessible from 1.0.0.

Also I was thinking that as the devs on the talk do not condone piracy but want to help public enable homebrew, it is best for them also to steer us to 3.0.0 for the same reason.

Anyway, that’s just my finding/thoughts so I’m going to hold out and stick on 1.0.0 for now.

I'm talking about being forced to stay on 1.0.0 and not being able to play new legit games, I never mentioned piracy at all in that post. Sounds a lot like the PS3 bullshit all over again.

snoofly

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm talking about being forced to stay on 1.0.0 and not being able to play new legit games, I never mentioned piracy at all in that post. Sounds a lot like the PS3 bullshit all over again.
oh i see. i have another switch on 4.1.0 to play the games i bought. i just want to ensure i only update the old switch if it’s the right thing to do for me.

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thing is I’m honestly not bothered about piracy. I just want to wait until the machine is open as much as possible

The major vulnerability was patched out, yes. 1.0.0 will remain the most broken and therefore the most "free" but it and 3.0.0 are all the same still limited to the old keys, everything after that was revoked and re-issued. 1.0.0 will just be so insecure as to give one the most open playground, but its also nearly impossible to acquire.

Reactions: g4jek8j54

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Where do I buy that Psi?" :shy::blush::wub::evil: