Homebrew Question about big micro SD cards..

mike a

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, so I just read online that a 3ds can only read cards bigger than 32 fb if you reformatt to fat32. Also read that a 3ds is supposed to only read up to a 32gb. So.. Also my phone can only read to a 32gb which limits me as the only computer I got to read the 3ds card is my phone.

Question is, if I got say a 128gb card, and somehow formatted it to fat32, would my phone read it? Then I could actually use a big card for my 3ds. And how could I format it with my phone? Guys this might help a lot of ppl

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, so I just read online that a 3ds can only read cards bigger than 32 fb if you reformatt to fat32. Also read that a 3ds is supposed to only read up to a 32gb. So.. Also my phone can only read to a 32gb which limits me as the only computer I got to read the 3ds card is my phone.

Question is, if I got say a 128gb card, and somehow formatted it to fat32, would my phone read it? Then I could actually use a big card for my 3ds. And how could I format it with my phone? Guys this might help a lot of ppl
theres nothing like this on the 3ds as far as i know i use a 64gb sandisk

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
theres nothing like this on the 3ds as far as i know i use a 64gb sandisk
I have and use a 128gb card formatted to FAT32 without any hassles. Windows will try to format to exfat as its a 128gb card. You should be able to find a formatter to do this with.

Skyhigh_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
use easeus partion master to format it to fat32

be careful when formatting and be sure to select your hard drive and NOT your desktop hard drives.
i personally delete the entire format to un allocated within disc management from windows

Type disc management in your windows search bar within your desktop> choose create or format disc partitions> find your usb/sd card drive letter and then press delete

after it shows un allocated open easus partiton master and format it like shown on the video above

again be careful not to delete your operating system or desktop hard drives when using disc management or easus

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wasnt this always advertised like Max Capacity 32GB, due to anything bigger, was with another patent? like.. the owner of the rights of anything bigger than 32gb has the rights of that technology? and they cant be advertised? so devices always states max size, 32gb.

Reactions: mike a

Hopalongtom

Trophies
XP
Country
I found that Windows 7 refused to read a 128GB Fat32 microsd card when connected to the computer, but was fine transferring the files wirelessly to the 3DS!

mike a

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ya but all I have to work with is an Android phone, I don't have windows, the phone says can only read to 32 gb, which I found out means hdsc I think

OfficialFBomb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What type of phone do you have. See some phones yes can only read up to 32gb via the micro sd slot. However if your phone can read via otg then you can then format any micro sd card. If not find a friend or library or Staples or what not and go format the card.

mike a

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ZTE majesty pro, it's a crappy phone. I don't understand how I could format the SD card at a library especially since there you cannot install anything on the computers and also can only access very little anyways. In an article I read my phone should read a bigger card but only if it's already in fat32 format. I was wondering if there is an app I can get that will format the card in the phone, probably not Im assuming

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you can't format it with phone or computer, try it under GodMode9 as a last ditch effort.

You'll have to setup FTP with something like 3DShell if you intend to transfer small files between micro SD and phone.

OfficialFBomb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are plenty of portable apps including fat 32 format, gui format, etc that can be ran without installation. You are correct that your phone does not do otg, and no app will help format the card to fat 32 in Android as it cannot see the card anyways.

mike a

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You mean so I can use windows to format it? See the problem is that I only have access to computers at the library and can't use them to format an SD card

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

mike a

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
one thing I was thinking,, if the card needs to be formatted in fat32, and I were to put it into my 3ds and use godmode9 to re-format it,, is that even possible,, because wouldn't the 3ds not even be able to see the card in the first place??

Last edited by mike a,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqw6t28P9po