Hacking Question Question on new Caffeine/PegaScape/Warmboot etc.

VIERcntHOLZ

yep, theres missing an "u".
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey guys,

Ive been out of the loop for quite a while, now everything seems to turn/change :D

First, my switch is an unpatched unit, currently on 6.2 with Atmosphere - 5 fuses burnt (got a clean back up 4.0.0-4.1.0 ==> 5 fuses required).

What I would be interested in is the following:
Can I downgrade to 4.1, clean sysNAND, use Hekate/Pegascape/Caffeine etc. to go from clean 4.1 (without Jig/whatever) into some sort of homebrew Application to boot into an <insert most recent firmware, e.g. 8.1?, here> emuNAND?

Advantages would be clear ==> clean sysNAND, but also latest emuNAND
Disadvantages ==> can any one tell? :D

Thank you in advance,
H

pLaYeR^^

Doctor Switch
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Yes, simply restore the clean backup. The real advantage of Caffeine is that you don’t need a jig or dongle for it. You can also have a clean SysNAND and latest EmuNAND with fusee gelee.

issayloki

Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Disadvantages ==> can any one tell?

Need to hotspot when you run pagescape I think.
I still did not think it worth for me to downgrade to 4.1 to have it run without rcm. It took time to run in which autorcm and run payload from my phone it quick and convience but it my own opinion. For patch swith yes it very importent for run CFW, for unpatch switch it just A warmboot.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Another disadvantage is that your switch has to be connected to the DNS servers.
wich can be quite easy by turning your phone in to a hotspot. I really don't know what the disadvantage is when we live in a time with internet all around is. Just turn the hotspot thingy on on your phone and voila

pLaYeR^^

Doctor Switch
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
wich can be quite easy by turning your phone in to a hotspot. I really don't know what the disadvantage is when we live in a time with internet all around is. Just turn the hotspot thingy on on your phone and voila
Personally I don’t like it when my hacked switch is connected to the internet. Of course it is easy to set up. I am not sure why you even need a hotspot? Simply put the DNS servers addresses to your switch internet config and you should be good to go.

D

Deleted User

You can't run the exploit without an internet connection and the switch is a portable device.

dongle + autorcm still wins by a mile.
Not really... I mean yes dongle wins, but the thing about rcm mode is not everyone has a dongle or buys one. *me* so I have to connect my switch to my computer if my switch dies. Which in that situation, warmboot exploit wins. Primarily because you don't have to wait as long to get the switch back up and running and into cfw. Also remember that with rcm mode, that it screws slightly with battery life, as the switch tends to use more power by a tad when rcm is used than when it isn't.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You can't run the exploit without an internet connection and the switch is a portable device.

dongle + autorcm still wins by a mile.
and that is also excluding ipatched units

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not really... I mean yes dongle wins, but the thing about rcm mode is not everyone has a dongle or buys one. *me* so I have to connect my switch to my computer if my switch dies. Which in that situation, warmboot exploit wins.

Of course in any league the 2nd/3rd/4th place will win games, but the one in 1st is the overall winner.

Primarily because you don't have to wait as long to get the switch back up and running and into cfw.

I don't have to wait to load ofw, trigger an exploit, turn the console off. So less time for dongle + autorcm.

The "I couldn't possibly carry around a dongle" argument falls short when you have to carry around another device to let you tether to apply caffeine etc. If it could be applied untethered with air plane mode on then it becomes way more interesting.

Also remember that with rcm mode, that it screws slightly with battery life, as the switch tends to use more power by a tad when rcm is used than when it isn't.

I've seen lots of claims about power problems in RCM, but I've never seen anything that substantiates it. Do you have anything scientific to back up that claim?

and that is also excluding ipatched units

Obviously, but then you're stuck with an inferior solution and just have to deal with it.

Last edited by smf,

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Of course in any league the 2nd/3rd/4th place will win games, but the one in 1st is the overall winner.

I don't have to wait to load ofw, trigger an exploit, turn the console off. So less time for dongle + autorcm.

The "I couldn't possibly carry around a dongle" argument falls short when you have to carry around another device to let you tether to apply caffeine etc. If it could be applied untethered with air plane mode on then it becomes way more interesting.

I've seen lots of claims about power problems in RCM, but I've never seen anything that substantiates it. Do you have anything scientific to back up that claim?

Obviously, but then you're stuck with an inferior solution and just have to deal with it.
Autorcm does drain battery when not properly shut off. Using an rcm jig will eventually wear down the pins after years constantly scraping against it. In that regard warmboot takes a tiny bit longer to start but no pins will degrade plus you don't have to worry about properly shutting off

annson24

The Patient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
One disadvantage of pegascape is when you're in a deadzone. I have an 8hour flight in two days so I'll probably be using my jig and dongle during that flight.

Don't get me wrong, I love using pegascape.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Akira

I'm not a SHRIMP!!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Atmosphere is shutting down properly when auto rcm is enabled. This has been fixed for quite a while now. It will only be in rcm mode if you press the power button or connect it to a charger or something that will charge the switch.

Reactions: smf

VIERcntHOLZ

yep, theres missing an "u".
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
First of all - thanks for all the replies.

One thing I red on reddit is - speaking of disadvantages - the speed?
As using Pegascape will set you back like 1,5 mins on 4.1?

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
When using the power button it does not and goes back in to rcm mode after a while.

What do you mean by "when using the power button?" Because using the power button to bring up the power menu and selecting shutdown is exactly what was fixed in atmosphere ages ago.

First of all - thanks for all the replies.
az

One thing I red on reddit is - speaking of disadvantages - the speed?
As using Pegascape will set you back like 1,5 mins on 4.1?

Speed and you need to be connected to wifi to trigger the exploit, so you can't be in airplane mode

Last edited by smf,

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
What do you mean by "when using the power button?" Because using the power button to bring up the power menu and selecting shutdown is exactly what was fixed in atmosphere ages ago.

Speed and you need to be connected to wifi to trigger the exploit, so you can't be in airplane mode
Didn't know that but what does it hekp if everybody keeps replying the same thing 20 times over. Okay i know now

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHe2Mbci5YI