• Likes 6

dicemc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi guys/gals, new to the forum here.
I recently bought a Wii U for my kids, installed the Tiramisu and Homebrew and slacked some Wii / Wii U games on the external 32 gb USB stick - and some games also on the NAND. The storage got full really fast and now I am looking to change the USB stick to something bigger.

I have a few questions, if you could help me:

1. Is it wise to install games to the NAND or should I avoid it in general?
2. Has anything changed regarding the suggestion which external storage to use (HDD/SSD or USB sticks)? I was thinking of buying a 256gb USB stick (SanDisk/Kingston/Samsung) because it takes less space behind the Wii U, or is it still wiser to get an HDD (I was thinking of a 512gb SSD)?
3. Does the SSD need a Y-power cable, because the SSD should use less power than a normal HDD?

Thank you for your help :)

-------------------------------------------------
UPDATE 18.2.2024.
I've bought a portable 1TB SSD (WD Passport) and the Wii U doesn't recognise it with the original cable.
After I have connected it with the Y-Cable it is recognized, and works.
The only problem now is that it takes a lot longer to instal the games with GX Loader on the SSD, than it was with the normal 32GB Usb Stick from Sandisk.

Last edited by dicemc,

a_username_that_isnt_cool

Well-Hated Member (Also)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The hardware isn't like the Wii's. If such a software equivalent to BootMii could exist it should be on/for the Wii U hardware (not the Wii hardware inside it).
tl;dr: I don't understand, it shows the button to launch it in an old fail0verflow video.

There is (minute_minute) but I don't really understand sentence one, what do you mean by that? Like I said I'm talking about BootMii IOS, seems possible. Fun fact, the Launch BootMii button shows up in fail0verflow's "The Homebrew Channel on Wii U" video, so unless it was a dud/beta of HBC/bug/error I don't see why we can't install BootMii IOS unless they stubbed/ancasted them

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's best to reduce use & read/write data to the nand as they're known to die by themselves even without heavy data usage.
2. Has anything changed regarding the suggestion which external storage to use (HDD/SSD or USB sticks)? I was thinking of buying a 256gb USB stick (SanDisk/Kingston/Samsung) because it takes less space behind the Wii U, or is it still wiser to get an HDD (I was thinking of a 512gb SSD)?
Yes, it is recommended that you get an ext hdd &/ or ssd, for better game compatibility specially for Wii games. Along with using a y-cable (for the hdd/ssd enclosure) preferably.
3. Does the SSD need a Y-power cable, because the SSD should use less power than a normal HDD?
Can't tell you for sure, because the WiiU is a bit finicky.. try with the normal usb and see if it works fine, if you encounter any problems switch to the y-cable.
Post automatically merged:

don't see why we can't install BootMii IOS
You're on your own if you want to try that 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited by CoolMe,
Reactions: dicemc

dekgear

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
In USB Loader GX, the layout that looks like the Wii Menu is glitched and the icons are not showing or displaying properly. You can click on them and they will work fine but it looks real janky, anyone knows what could be causing it?

A screenshot for reference, there are supossed to be more games on the other slots. The displays with the game covers work just fine though.

Attachments

• IMG_20240125_014207191_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240125_014207191_HDR.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 20

Majuba

Trophies
XP
Country
South Africa
I am using an EVO 980 M.2 2TB SATA SSD in an Orico enclosure, without Y cable.

It should be SATA and not NMVe.

I picked up this information from a You Tube video by PencePC

Last edited by Majuba,
Reactions: dicemc

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In USB Loader GX, the layout that looks like the Wii Menu is glitched and the icons are not showing or displaying properly. You can click on them and they will work fine but it looks real janky, anyone knows what could be causing it?

A screenshot for reference, there are supossed to be more games on the other slots. The displays with the game covers work just fine though.
What about when you switch to nand titles, same thing happens or?
Do your games appear fine in WiiBackupManager?
Usbloadergx recognizes the usb/hdd/ssd when it launches?
Are you using an ext hdd or usb flash drive to store your games? Is t formatted as Fat32 32kb clusters?
Make sure you're using the latest version of usbloadergx.

It should be SATA and not NMVe.
Why though? Apart from it not having a y-cable

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Primarily cost. The NMVe version is in the order 3 times the price of the SATA.
Yes i know, but i was talking performance-wise it should be no different from an ssd (with negligible speed differences).
Therefore, its not worth the additional cost as the speed of the NMVe is 'bottlenecked' by the USB 2.0 of the Wii U.
No argument there.

El_Salsa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone!

So I have (I believe) an OEM gamecube memory card that I kept through the years, for some reason Nintendont wont read that there is data on it and ask to create one. I have "Emulate Memory Card" OFF and double checked, but when I play games I don't have save files for it writes it on the original Memory card. Idk if this matters but I never put one of my GC disk in, I'm trying to boot them from USBLoader or Nintendont. Physical games are at my moms but I did buy Rebel Strike. Anyone know why what the problem is?

El_Salsa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do your GC saves appear in data management?
Data management in the Nintendont app or my Wii->data management->saved data->GameCube? If yes to the second then yes all my saves are there including the new one that was written from a .iso that had no data
Post automatically merged:

Do your GC saves appear in data management?
Data management on the Nintendont app or the Wii system memory->GameCube memory on the actual memory car? If yes to the second then yes it shows game saves from 2014. It even created new save files from games launched from the .iso that had no save data on the memory card

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Data management on the Nintendont app or the Wii system memory->GameCube memory on the actual memory car? If yes to the second then yes it shows game saves from 2014.
Correct.
It even created new save files from games launched from the .iso that had no save data on the memory card
So these new saves work, right?
Sounds maybe it's a region mismatch with your old saves, try PAL versions of these games, or viceversa if you were in fact using PAL isos etc.
The settings on Nintendont look good so they can't be it.

Reactions: El_Salsa

El_Salsa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Correct.

So these new saves work, right?
Sounds maybe it's a region mismatch with your old saves, try PAL versions of these games, or viceversa if you were in fact using PAL isos etc.
The settings on Nintendont look good so they can't be it.
So I'm not sure if using PAL will work since my versions I originally saved them are US Games. I haven't had time to test it but didn't know PAL was for EU. I do know the ISO were US ISO since I always download these versions. The Zip Files also say US

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm not sure if using PAL will work since my versions I originally saved them are US Games. I haven't had time to test it but didn't know PAL was for EU. I do know the ISO were US ISO since I always download these versions. The Zip Files also say US
So you have NTSC saves (on the MC) and isos? That shouldn't happen as It should detect them.
Maybe @pedro702 could help. :)

El_Salsa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you have NTSC saves (on the MC) and isos? That shouldn't happen as It should detect them.
Maybe @pedro702 could help. :)
I’m assuming they are NTSC if that’s the default file GC games save onto the physical memory card. And yes I am using isos so Im not sure what the problem is. Thanks for your input I appreciate it. What are your thoughts @pedro702 ? Can you help me solve this issue?

dicemc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi guys/gals, new to the forum here.
I recently bought a Wii U for my kids, installed the Tiramisu and Homebrew and slacked some Wii / Wii U games on the external 32 gb USB stick - and some games also on the NAND. The storage got full really fast and now I am looking to change the USB stick to something bigger.

I have a few questions, if you could help me:

Thank you for your help :)

-------------------------------------------------
UPDATE 18.2.2024.
I've bought a portable 1TB SSD (WD Passport) and the Wii U doesn't recognise it with the original cable.
After I have connected it with the Y-Cable it is recognized, and works.
The only problem now is that it takes a lot longer to instal the games with GX Loader on the SSD, than it was with the normal 32GB Usb Stick from Sandisk.

UPDATE 18.2.2024.

Anyone got an idea why is it so slower? Is it the quality of the Y-Cable, because I bought a generic one from Ebay.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're talking about WiiWare/VC games, right?
Anyone got an idea why is it so slower? Is it the quality of the Y-Cable, because I bought a generic one from Ebay.
Probably not.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
    Karma177 @ Karma177: @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really...