R4i Gold 3ds now supports 6.0.0.XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xarsah16

GBATemp's Official Village Dingus/Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
for anyone who doesn't know what to perform the cutting with, shall I suggest a precision blade like x-acto knife, available at your local craft or hobby shop

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Didn't someone test the DSTwo in a thread on here and find out that it really doesn't use as much battery as people were thinking it did (unless using something like the GBA emulator anyway). IIRC, it used about the same as a retail cart.
As far as I recall, that is correct. The DSTwo does consume slightly more battery, but all in all, it isn't substantial enough to worry much about. For what the DSTwo offers in return as well, the tiny downside is hardly worth buying a cheaper, less reliable card over.
My main problem with the DStwo is that it consumes battery even when it's not being used. Some people have reported that their 3DSes only lasty a few hours in sleep mode when using a DStwo, even when they have a DStwo in the card slot even when it is not being used (3DS is in regular 3DS mode)

Reactions: chavosaur

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
What do you mean? It's not the most expensive, but it's certainly not the cheapest.
Cheaping out is pretty much buying any less reliable flash cart (ie: anything that isn't the DSTwo) simply for the reason that it's less expensive. I've never understood why someone is willing to cheap out and buy $10 or $12 carts time after time rather than just finding the $35 to drop on a DSTwo when firmware updates are a big part of their purchasing decision to begin with. With the comfort of never having to worry about pesky firmware updates since the Supercard team stays on top of it, it is clearly the smarter choice if firmware updates are an issue.

With an update like this out for one of the last DS carts that is even somewhat supported on the 3DS, I think the average flash cart buyer would be regretting purchasing this cart about now.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Cheaping out is pretty much buying any less reliable flash cart (ie: anything that isn't the DSTwo) simply for the reason that it's less expensive. I've never understood why someone is willing to cheap out and buy $10 or $12 carts time after time rather than just finding the $35 to drop on a DSTwo when firmware updates are a big part of their purchasing decision to begin with. With the comfort of never having to worry about pesky firmware updates since the Supercard team stays on top of it, it is clearly the smarter choice if firmware updates are an issue.

With an update like this out for one of the last DS carts that is even somewhat supported on the 3DS, I think the average flash cart buyer would be regretting purchasing this cart about now.
I went with r4i 3DS because it has better homebrew compatibility than DSTwo, and the team keeps up with updates.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
My main problem with the DStwo is that it consumes battery even when it's not being used. Some people have reported that their 3DSes only lasty a few hours in sleep mode when using a DStwo, even when they have a DStwo in the card slot even when it is not being used (3DS is in regular 3DS mode)
If only the DS actually HAD a sleep mode. :P It just cuts the screens off and tells the game to pause. So carts don't actually turn off, flash or retail. So the difference in power drain is noticed there.

Hardcase1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
applied the update fine, opened my card, looks very different from the one in the instructions. Does not appear to have the signal wire. Put it in my v6.0.0-11U 3ds and it works fine.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If only the DS actually HAD a sleep mode. :P It just cuts the screens off and tells the game to pause. So carts don't actually turn off, flash or retail. So the difference in power drain is noticed there.
Even when 3DS is in 3DS mode's sleep mode, for example, when you're playing Pushmo while a DStwo is in the card slot and you close your 3DS. Plus, when I had a DSi I could close it and still lasted more than a day using an Acekard...

The DStwo may last about the same when flashcards are being used in their maximum capacity, but the main problem is that battery consumption with the DStwo is still about the same even when it's not being used at all. (One didn't even open the DStwo icon)

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to laugh at everyone when Nintendo blocks out DStwo and you'll be hearing about DSthree for $60, can't wait till I hear everyone complain about having to buy another card. R4i is definately not a cheap card it can emulate SNES for crying out loud.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm going to laugh at everyone when Nintendo blocks out DStwo and you'll be hearing about DSthree for $60, can't wait till I hear everyone complain about having to buy another card. R4i is definately not a cheap card it can emulate SNES for crying out loud.
Um. My R4 can emulate SNES too. Just pretty damned poorly. Fun fact: The DS2 does it better than any other DS cart out there. As it stands, the DS2 is the only cart that doesn't show the limitations that other carts have. Sure, down the line, it may finally lose the ability to update. We're all expecting it to happen someday because none of these devices are perfect where firmware bypasses are involved. Right here and now though, the DS2 is absolutely the only cart that has not required any extreme, last ditch effort updates like the R4i Gold, and has never faltered in providing updates when required. It hasn't required discretely distributed new hardware revisions that can actually support further updates, and just keeps on working. It is the only cart you can buy right now where you can sit there and say "yeah, this will probably be just fine a couple 3DS updates from now". Once another cart out there proves to be as great the DS2, you can mock it as you please, but until then, you just look stupid when you're trying to build up what is ultimately just a second rate clone that has barely managed to make it through the most recent update.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
R.I.P, 1000's of R4's that are going to perish.

Well..
Guess the clone makers are happy enough to sell a fuck ton of them again.

reprep

Trophies
Website
melankolisavar.blogspot.com
XP
Country
the only problem I get with my dstwo is, if you put your 3ds into sleep while dstwo is in cartridge slot, you get extremely low stand-by time. though I just push the cartridge and don't plug it off fully before getting my 3ds into sleep.

battery lasts short only on dstwo specific software (emulators, movie player etc.)

loco365

Trophies
XP
My question is, even though I'm not an R4i owner yet, what does cutting the line do? What happens if you apply the update patch, but don't cut the line? And are these cards going to still be flashable in the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: ... that's rough buddy