Reason #673 why I now really f*cking hate Sony.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
after all: ps1 was the best console ever
blink.gif
rofl2.gif
Well, it was. It single handedly kick-started the whole "games aren't just for kids or hardcore geeks" era. It had a longer lifespan than any other console at the time (about 5 years?), and even spawned a backwardly compatable successor. Not to mention it completely wiped the floor with the N64
biggrin.gif

The point people are missing here is that Sony were great. The PS1 and PS2 were very successful consoles. But they've made some really bad moves recently (namebly attempting to move into the handheld market, designing the PS3 to compete with the X-Box 360 and pioneering Blue-Ray when 90% of consumers see no reason to switch over to it and already have a DVD system they're happy with). Sony are going downhill, which is a real shame. Kind of makes you wonder who's in the driving seat at Sony HQ, and why they're still there.

Hitto

MKDS Tournament Winner
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
It isn't because it sold the most that it was great, by any means. Thirty million flies can't be wrong, so let's all eat shit! Remember those first videogame commercials? FF7's commercial featured ONLY FMV. Not *one* image of the real game. Then came the "Oh, look, I'm a cool snowboarder and I play the, uh, what's its name again? Oh yeah, Playstation!" commercials. Whoopty doo, never felt so glad to be a gamer when twelve year olds would tell me that mario was a kiddie crap game.

The PS1 had some pretty good games. The PS2 has PES and that's because it's easier to hookup two controllers to it than a PC. The rest of the games? I played the PC or other console ports. What was its use already, other than being a DVD player? (at a time when us geeks watched divx movies???)

Other than that? Cripes. This whole generation was, in my opinion, the very worst of all videogame history up until now. And I used to have the 5200. (I was too young to notice if the games were shit, though.)

This generation?
- Sega's death. C'mon, you can say it. It's not like they're ever gonna release a decent sonic game or a Jet Set Radio sequel anymore.
- Two shitty MGS games, in which everything stealth or military got replaced by some crappy tongue-in-cheek-yet-called-mature political conspiracy story I wouldn't believe if I saw it on X-files. Start the flames, but come on. Raiden. And, hunting and sewing wounds is *so* fun.
- "OMG IM NOT A GAEM IM AN ART PIECE LOLOL", aka Ico and SoTC.
- The reign of HALO. Oh, yeah, there was Yeager or Jeager, too, on the xbox, which was fun. Then there was "GAMER LOEV NINJA RAEP", aka "Throw your controller at the wall", aka Ninja Gaiden Black.
- And the very shittiest mario kart game and shittiest Nintendo-licensed games *ever* on the very shittiest console Nintendo ever put out, save for the stillborn virtual boy.

Damn, give me *one* reason to buy any of these consoles, used and for less than twenty bucks.

And why was this generation so filled with gangsta/FPS/EXXXXXXTREEME SKATING games? Because of the fucking "follow the leader" mentality which made everyone pump out bland and lookalike games. Where the PS1 had Bushido Blade, Tobal, a decent wipeout and the first destruction derby, the PS2 had "gangsta revenge : the revenging", "Tony Hawk goes to India and you dumbasses will buy it anyway because it features Bam Margera videos from 'Jackass', ROCK ON, LOL!", and "Extreme gangsta BMX : Hey, Nintendo did it, too".

Oh, and the "Well, if you don't like it, buy something else" excuse? It doesn't work when there were approximately five decent home console games in the last five years! Thank god for the GBA and DS, by the way.

Seriously, gamers my age haven't spent nearly the tenth of the time we spent in front of Goldeneye, MK64, Bomberman 64 and Smash Bros. Or FFT. Or Tobal no.2, or even Worms (the non-3D one).

This generation? Monkey ball while waiting for Mario Kart : In name only. Monkey ball 2 and SSBM after it was released. "F-Zero : HAHA, U LOSE AGAIN, STUPID HUMAN!", "Zelda : let's go boating! for MONTHS!", and other crap. The PS2 we had only played a Pro Evo (insert sequel number) game. The xbox was good for hearing "cocksucking n**** jew communist" yelled by random people in Halo 2.

All three consoles SUCKED.

After the huge disappointment this whole generation was, on behalf or everyone trying to ape Sony's business model, I'm pretty glad Ninty decides to go in another direction while the most expensive consoles don't stir my interest in any way.

Rant over. The Wii is bringing me back into the fold, as it will be the first home console I buy in almost ten years. Let's hope Nintendo keeps its promises, because I sure as hell ain't giving another dime to either Microsoft or Sony. Hope the chavs and white trash have fun with their games.

PS : oh yeah, one of the launch games on the wii is a Monster truck game. Good omens, amirite? At least it's not wrestling. Yet.

lagman

I wish I was green.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico

Rant over. The Wii is bringing me back into the fold, as it will be the first home console I buy in almost ten years. Let's hope Nintendo keeps its promises, because I sure as hell ain't giving another dime to either Microsoft or Sony. Hope the chavs and white trash have fun with their games.

PS : oh yeah, one of the launch games on the wii is a Monster truck game. Good omens, amirite? At least it's not wrestling. Yet.

So you don´t have a GC or a XB or a PS2?
unsure.gif

Pal, you can find at least 15 great games in each console, I don´t think this generation sucks, I think it was less innovative, but there´s *Burnout, *Katamari, *BG&E, *Okami, *Mario Strikers -better multiplayer than Double Dash IMO-, *Psychonauts, *Splinter Cell ,etc.
It´s not the worst generation, not at all
grog.gif

Wind Waker is perfect PERIOD
bow.gif

OrR

Rice-megatron Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Psychonauts and Beyond Good & Evil are awesome but they are better on PC.
nyanya.gif

after all: ps1 was the best console ever
blink.gif
rofl2.gif

Well, it was. It single handedly kick-started the whole "games aren't just for kids or hardcore geeks" era. It had a longer lifespan than any other console at the time (about 5 years?), and even spawned a backwardly compatable successor. Not to mention it completely wiped the floor with the N64
biggrin.gif
The PS1 was successful. But when I think about it there are very few games on it I find attractive. The NES enjoyed a healthy 22 year lifespan until Nintendo stopped production but there are still clones being made in China. A generation lasting for 5 years was typical before the PS1 came out. (NES: 83/85/86, SNES: 90/91/92, N64: 96/96/97)
And about
It single handedly kick-started the whole "games aren't just for kids or hardcore geeks" era.
, well, I'm not so sure about that. Before the PS1 you could play games with the whole family. With the PS1, that somehow went missing. Maybe it was less for kids but I think it was more for hardcore geeks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: but well atleast my game tv stick can, @Psionic Roshambo