Reason #673 why I now really f*cking hate Sony.

skywarp

Trophies
XP
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Jumpman: Exporting to regions where the product is intentionally not released is what's wrong.
You'd be pissed too if you made a product and only wanted to sell it in the US and found out that someone else was buying it and selling it to the world without your consent. And continued after you told them to stop.

Actually, in the US that's totally legal, you can't bring someone to court for selling something they legally own after purchase, so there isn't anything you could do about it.

This ruling was made in a UK court however, so I assume they have some laws in place that we don't.

waiwai

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ah well, they have been put up with a strong force before. Like with de devkits etc..

So no
cry.gif
they will be back
biggrin.gif

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This totally boggles my mind. Why would you shut a place down for selling your product??? Who gives a fuck who bought it or where they are from??? The main point is that they were buying YOUR SHIT!!!!

Extreme Coder

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Egypt
QUOTE said:
It's so unbelievably typical! None of those fucking Fanboys even things for a moment about the way their MASTER is treating companies/people.
Ohohohoho. I bet if it were Nintendo closing Lik-Sang you would have the same reaction they had.
You can't deny that without being a hypocrite.

Jumpman: Exporting to regions where the product is intentionally not released is what's wrong.
You'd be pissed too if you made a product and only wanted to sell it in the US and found out that someone else was buying it and selling it to the world without your consent. And continued after you told them to stop.

The thing is, this type of actions is typical of Sony, but not typical of Nintendo. And I am almost 100% sure Ninty will not do such a thing, because they will don't want to hurt themselves, do they?
wink.gif

leetdood

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
It's so unbelievably typical! None of those fucking Fanboys even things for a moment about the way their MASTER is treating companies/people.
Ohohohoho. I bet if it were Nintendo closing Lik-Sang you would have the same reaction they had.
You can't deny that without being a hypocrite.

I'm a Ninty fanboy, and I would be horrified if they actually did something like that. I mean, bringing Lik-Sang to court is one thing, but bringing them to court in ALL of the EU countries? That, I'll call the equalivent of a cockslap.

CCNaru

Warn-free Since 2005
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
lik-sang's shitty prices make my former argument the king of arguments, lol

think about it this way. if a limited no of games were made, and sold overseas, ran out of copies in the region, then if the prices skyrocketed, who would the blame go to? the companies. also the the whole importing ordeal gives modchips and shit like that a legitimate use. it's not like people will buy a region TV and a console just to play a game...that profits others like, $20-$40 even for some games.

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ummm.....although the last half of your post makes as much sense as I did when I was dirt drunk in college back in the days...let me try to get this straight....Liksang offered great customer service at (of course, nothing new, every single store operates this way) an inflated price due to import duties and profit for them to even offer the service so people outside of Asia can have access to Japanese games and that makes them a shitty store....because they're trying to make money as a business and you don't like it. Let me know if I got that right. Also region protection is a perfectly legitimate reason for modchips, why not? Many people in the US want to play Japanese games but cannot due to region protection, and we all know how many games stay Japanese exclusive.

HugeCock

Oh My....
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Agreed I really don't see the deal here on Sony's end. Somebody wants to buy my product for X amount of dollars and sell it to someone for XX amount of dollars who gives a shit. I sell my products only in US and Canada and if I saw someone selling my product to Japan I wouldn't care...unless it was pirated of course. Sony is a bunch of douches in my opinion. God you know what would be GRAVY? If Sony started suing ebayers for selling systems to the UK that would get the publics attention and give them the PUBLIC negative PR they really need. We need a story like Sony sues little old lady for 800 grand for selling PS3 to UK. Or better yet Sony sues grandmother 800K for sending grandson in the UK a PS3. That would ROCK.

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It's the one of the worst things Sony can do and I am sure they will lose enough buyer.

And i think most of the complaints are correct, but for those who are telling nintendo is so much better ... i don't think so ... ok they won't do such a shit but when it comes to things they promises they mostly do what they promised ... yust look at the Wii ... they told anyone it will be Region free (at least anyone thaught that ...) and in the end they just sayed they didn't do it region free

I can't really understand why those companys have problems with ppl importing games that will never be released or only years later in their own country ... like i bought Naruto Gekito Ninja Taisen 2,3,4 for NGC and here is not even part one to buy so why bother ? they earned money, they didn't lose anything.

Its just stupid ... if they don't want ppl to import games they should just release them anywhere at the same time and if possible for the same price or at least so that it won't be better to import.

@CCNaru

Whats your problem man ? I ordered only twice from lik sang but in my opinion it was pretty good service ... they even send me a mail after some days that my order takes one week more (cuz of some problems they had than) not anyone would inform the ppl who are waiting because of one week ... and if not lik sang doing imports i go to ebay and get them there ... only problem is that there its sometimes even more expensive ... (they want for Naruto Gekito Ninja Taisen 1 80€ !!!! (arround 82$ i think) and i got it for 50 !)

santakuroosu

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
if I saw someone selling my product to Japan I wouldn't care
That's it, you wouldn't care. But imagine you didn't want it to be sold there, and someone was doing it against your will.
Wouldn't it seem right that you'd try to stop them from doing that by all means necessary?
You made the product, shouldn't you have the last word on where it should be sold?

Edit:
QUOTE said:
If only the masses knew how much this impacts people like us. Then NO ONE would buy from sony.
Actually, they'd still buy it anyway because, as you said, it affects the minority of us who import games, not them.
ATM ppl buy from Sony because their ultra expensive and some people think more expensive = more quality.
Err, no. Sony is a name that is on various items of great quality (and others no so much) that, albeit expensive, are usually trustworthy.
But a company and it's products are only remembered by what they do that's great or amazingly bad and up to now, Sony hasn't had much of the latter.

imgod22222

GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If only the masses knew how much this impacts people like us. Then NO ONE would buy from sony. ATM ppl buy from Sony because their ultra expensive and some people think more expensive = more quality. Too bad their so wrong. Sony should let go of blu-ray, and let someone else take blu-ray, or stop it all together since the masses will understand HD DVD (High Def DVD) and not "blu-ray" since the masses will be like wtf because the masses are our retarded stereotypes. BTW im a blu-ray person myself. (BUT NOT SONY
tongue.gif
)

skywarp

Trophies
XP
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
QUOTE said:
That's it, you wouldn't care. But imagine you didn't want it to be sold there, and someone was doing it against your will.
Wouldn't it seem right that you'd try to stop them from doing that by all means necessary?
You made the product, shouldn't you have the last word on where it should be sold?

No, you don't. If you sell something to someone, you no longer own it, and have NO authority over what that person does with it or sells it. That is unless you live in some ass backwards country where corperations have the right to control the travel of a persons property.

Smuff

Fossilized Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
F---YOU SONY YOU F---ING A--HOLES !!!!!!!

You bunch of knobcheeses !

I'd have thought you'd have been glad that at least someone could sell some of your piss-poor PSP doggy-doo-doo's.........

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Everyone's so busy dissing Sony that I think we've missed a point...

Is it actually possible to sue someone for providing import games? I mean, it's not like it's illegal or anything as far as I know, so if it goes to court then what are the chances that a judge will rule that the importers (lik-sang) are in the wrong? Or to that matter, why this one particular site rather than blanket-banning all of them? It's madness, doesn't really make much sense.

Or is this just a case of "Sony afford lawers, Liksang can't, Liksang forced to bow out while they can"?

[Edit] Sorry, mis-read the original article, didn't realise Sony actually got a ruling in their favour. So what are the wider implications of this? Does this open the floodgates for comapnies to run around shutting down every import-related store?

HeatMan Advance

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:

No, you don't. If you sell something to someone, you no longer own it, and have NO authority over what that person does with it or sells it. That is unless you live in some ass backwards country where corperations have the right to control the travel of a persons property.

The arrangement between retailers and publishers are different than a random person with no business licence selling things they don't want. I'm sure you've seen products in stores that read "Not for Resale" or heard of MSRP. Rules are different under business.

This isn't exactly the same but When Sony is ready to sell a product in another region but places like Lik-Sang is already selling there then it disrupts how Sony wanted the game distributed. Think about games like Jump All-stars. In Japan only Nintendo and Jump have to deal with the licence issues. In America those characters are divided among several companies. Why should Lik-Sang be able to benifit from multiple territories while the publisher is confined to one?

skywarp

Trophies
XP
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
The arrangement between retailers and publishers are different than a random person with no business licence selling things they don't want. I'm sure you've seen products in stores that read "Not for Resale" or heard of MSRP. Rules are different under business.

This isn't exactly the same but When Sony is ready to sell a product in another region but places like Lik-Sang is already selling there then it disrupts how Sony wanted the game distributed. Think about games like Jump All-stars. In Japan only Nintendo and Jump have to deal with the licence issues. In America those characters are divided among several companies. Why should Lik-Sang be able to benifit from multiple territories while the publisher is confined to one?

Those aren't laws, those are agreements between Sony, publishers, and retailers. It isn't illegal for anyone or any store to sell a game marked "no resale", however it may breech an agreement. Major game retailers in the USA such as Walmart, Gamestop, EB, ETC. are basically forced into agreements with game publishers saying, you can't sell this before than, you can't sell the import versions this, etc etc etc. Breeching those agreements will certainly get you into trouble with the publishers, but not necessarily with the law, unless there were specific law abiding contracts involved.

I would like to add, the court ruling in question(the only one Lik-sang actually lost in regards to this matter), they did not even show up for, since they could no longer afford to defend themselves in court.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Nuh, I'd wonder off somewhere probably