Red Dead Redemption heads to Switch and PS4, but will not be a remaster, and will not release on PC

Rockstar is finally bringing its beloved Red Dead Redemption to new platforms, but it's not in the way that most fans expected. Red Dead Redemption, and its Undead Nightmare expansion are getting a modern release on the Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4. Studio Double Eleven is working on this version of the game, which exists as a port rather than a remaster, with Rockstar referring to it as a "conversion". There will not be a native PlayStation 5 release of Red Dead Redemption, though the PS4 game will be backwards compatible and work on the PlayStation 5. PC players who have clamored for the game appear to have been ignored, with no PC port announced. Red Dead Redemption will retail both physically and digitally for $49.99, with a launch date of August 17th.

Experience the epic Western adventure Red Dead Redemption and its groundbreaking zombie-horror companion, Undead Nightmare, as both games come to the Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4 for the very first time in a single package. In a new conversion by Double Eleven Studios, the Switch and PS4 versions bring the two classic experiences together again for both new players and original fans to enjoy across modern consoles, including backwards compatibility with the PlayStation 5.

One of the most critically acclaimed games of all time with over 170 Game of the Year Awards, Red Dead Redemption tells the story of former outlaw John Marston as he journeys across the sprawling expanses of the American West and Mexico to track down the last remaining members of the notorious Van der Linde Gang in a bid to save his family. Relive, or experience for the first time, the events immediately following the epic tale of honor and loyalty in the 2018 blockbuster Red Dead Redemption 2 as Marston hunts down his former friends and outlaws Bill Williamson, Javier Escuella, and his former gang leader, Dutch van der Linde as the era of the cowboy comes to its end.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
yah but that costs money, are there any Switch games that REQUIRE a download of data to play AND utilize a 64GB cart?
nope there is no switch game printed on a 64 gb carridge even, the most used was 32gb cartridge for like 5 games, no dev even payed for the 64gb one.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if it has a physical release i will get it.
Probably, but you'll likely have to download half of the game, anyway.

That just sucks because back in the day Nintendo carts/discs included the whole game... Not anymore.

Even Nintendo themselves have downgraded:

Barebones soccer game which requires being connected to the internet to get more content. Sigh.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Probably, but you'll likely have to download half of the game, anyway.

That just sucks because back in the day Nintendo carts/discs included the whole game... Not anymore.

Even Nintendo themselves have downgraded:

Barebones soccer game which requires being connected to the internet to get more content. Sigh.

nintendo actually reprints their cartridges with updated ones, there are cartridges with updated stuff for most nintendo stuff with these dlc on them

Latiodile

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
nope there is no switch game printed on a 64 gb carridge even, the most used was 32gb cartridge for like 5 games, no dev even payed for the 64gb one.
idk why 64gb came into question in the first place since on the original consoles it released on it's only like an 8gb game

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Steam Deck players are totally fine playing the latest games at lower settings.

That doesn't really apply to this game tho. If they did redo the code, it is disappointing that they didn't add any improvements. That said, if they made it $40 and at least hint at an actual remake, there would be less room to complain about it.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
idk why 64gb came into question in the first place since on the original consoles it released on it's only like an 8gb game
hmm no lol the original base game is 10gb on ps3 and then there is the dlc and patches, probably under 16gb everything, which is nice if they arent cheap and actually use those 16gb cartridges atleast.

Latiodile

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
hmm no lol the original base game is 10gb on ps3 and then there is the dlc and patches, probably under 16gb everything, which is nice if they arent cheap and actually use those 16gb cartridges atleast.
it's 8 on the xbox 360, since it only has one disc and the 360 doesn't support bluray, dual layer DVD is the max without splitting to multiple discs, plus a second for the zombies dlc if you have the "xbox one" version
the microsoft store agrees with this

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's 8 on the xbox 360, since it only has one disc and the 360 doesn't support bluray, dual layer DVD is the max without splitting to multiple discs, plus a second for the zombies dlc if you have the "xbox one" version
the microsoft store agrees with this

That's the digital version on the Xbox Store, and these are the disc backups:

GotY 360 Edition (Disc) - 14.60GB (ish)
Goty PS3 Edition (Disc) - 9.26GB (ish)

PS3 Digital:
Redemption - 8.20GB (ish)
Undead - 9.60GB (ish)

These sizes are conflicting, the GotY includes the Undead and it's smaller on the 360 disc/digital, yet the PS3 digital version is bigger than its disc form.

I just searched for the PS3 disc update and the update isn't that big of a deal, only about 17MB.

Oh well whatever will be.

Latiodile

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's the digital version on the Xbox Store, and these are the disc backups:

GotY 360 Edition (Disc) - 14.60GB (ish)
Goty PS3 Edition (Disc) - 9.26GB (ish)

PS3 Digital:
Redemption - 8.20GB (ish)
Undead - 9.60GB (ish)

These sizes are conflicting, the GotY includes the Undead and it's smaller on the 360 disc/digital, yet the PS3 digital version is bigger than its disc form.

I just searched for the PS3 disc update and the update isn't that big of a deal, only about 17MB.

Oh well whatever will be.
either way, doesn't even come close to 64gb lol

it'll probably still be a partial download considering their last first party release, la noire required a partial download

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
either way, doesn't even come close to 64gb lol

it'll probably still be a partial download considering their last first party release, la noire required a partial download
Sadly, yes.

Even Nintendo has gotten into releasing games in parts, and then the rest is via download.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Sadly, yes.

Even Nintendo has gotten into releasing games in parts, and then the rest is via download.
lolw hat are you talkning about? what nintendo first party game was released in parts and require downloads? all nintendo 1st party phyical games are completable from beggining to end on cartridge, you never need to download anything to play the whole game.

Reactions: ChronosNotashi

onibaku

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
ah i must be the only fella that wants this on Switch ! im never going to pay $50 for it ..i will wait for the sale

I hope it runs well, I've wanted to replay the first one. Would've preferred a PC release so I could play it on my steam deck, but am also happy with a Switch release

Reactions: SuperDan

IRUZZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
1691575841095.png

ChronosNotashi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lolw hat are you talkning about? what nintendo first party game was released in parts and require downloads? all nintendo 1st party phyical games are completable from beggining to end on cartridge, you never need to download anything to play the whole game.
Wouldn't be surprised if people were confusing "download day 1 patch to address bugs/issues found after game went gold" with "cartridge only provides part of game and rest has to be downloaded in order to play from start to finish" (though the latter could be the case if one of said bugs/issues detected after cartridge production starts halts progression entirely). Only game I know of that actually does require a larger download beyond the cartridge is the Borderlands collection.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Wouldn't be surprised if people were confusing "download day 1 patch to address bugs/issues found after game went gold" with "cartridge only provides part of game and rest has to be downloaded in order to play from start to finish" (though the latter could be the case if one of said bugs/issues detected after cartridge production starts halts progression entirely). Only game I know of that actually does require a larger download beyond the cartridge is the Borderlands collection.
oh no there are alot of games that you cant play with the cartridge since the games are not complete at all

Spyro trilogy
borderland trylogy(2 and 3)
LA noir
wolfenstein 2 new colossus
bioshock collection
mortal kombat 11
NBA2k games
just from the top of my head there are more where the games are not complete or not all games on the collection are on the cartridge.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The only CoD game I played that I truly enjoyed was Black Ops 1, and only the single player...