Homebrew [RELEASE] ctrQuake - Quake 1 port

Osakasan

Trophies
XP
Country
I used this :D

this isnt piracy since its ABANDONWARE!!!!

Well, to be honest, technically it isn't, unles we're talking specifically about the DOS version

Then again, this isn't actually fun if we limit ourselves to the shareware version

EDIT: Leaving that aside, what should i copy from DOS Quake to have the full version here? Copying the id1 folder locks my 3DS at launch

Last edited by BORTZ,

Rinnegatamante

Trophies
Website
rinnegatamante.it
XP
Country
Italy
Well, to be honest, technically it isn't, unles we're talking specifically about the DOS version

Then again, this isn't actually fun if we limit ourselves to the shareware version

EDIT: Leaving that aside, what should i copy from DOS Quake to have the full version here? Copying the id1 folder locks my 3DS at launch

Normally, pak0 and pak1 should be the only two files required for full version.

Reactions: SLiV3R

GinOkami428

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not to burst anyone's bubble, but elhobbs already did a modified Quake source port that even has stereoscopic 3D called Spectre3DS.

Osakasan

Trophies
XP
Country
O3DS should have better controls now with circlepad and double tap touchscreen to jump

It does, and i'm really ejoying it (touchscreen aiming is basically mouse aiming) Double tap jump need to be tinkeres but it's a pretty good start and i'm thankful for it ;)

Still, N3DS wins in regards of button quantity, wich means more options. That's the plain truth and is something akin to the machine itself.

I'm eagerly waiting for the day Circle Pad Pro is usable on homebrew. But until that day comes O3DS is still pretty serviceable as a Quake machine :)

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Quake is not very resource-intensive, there's already a DS version of it, so the 3DS should have more than enough resources.

I had made that post before I tried it at 268MHz. But you also have to remember that the current 3DS version is doing software rendering at 400x240, versus the original DS screen resolution of 256x192. Didn't the DS version use full HW acceleration?

Last edited by daxtsu,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I had made that post before I tried it at 268MHz. But you also have to remember that the current 3DS version is doing software rendering at 400x240, versus the original DS screen resolution of 256x192. Didn't the DS version use full HW acceleration?
To the best of the DS's ability, sure, but the DS's graphics core (Main Engine + Sub Engine) wasn't anything to write home about - chances are that even with using software rendering on the 3DS you still have more overall processing power. The DS might've had some fancy OGL-like special effects, but it was overall weak at rendering - 2048 polygons per frame isn't much to work with, really. On top of that, it only had 4MB RAM and a silly 700-odd kb VRAM which was sectioned to make matters worse. Despite those limitations it ran Quake fine because all in all Quake is pretty much the first textured polygonal 3D shooter to hit storeshelves - it's not terribly complex, it was made to run on a 75MHz Pentium with no accelerator, at least initially, until GLQuake came along.

AtlasFontaine

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
To the best of the DS's ability, sure, but the DS's graphics core (Main Engine + Sub Engine) wasn't anything to write home about - chances are that even with using software rendering on the 3DS you still have more overall processing power. The DS might've had some fancy OGL-like special effects, but it was overall weak at rendering - 2048 polygons per frame isn't much to work with, really. On top of that, it only had 4MB RAM and a silly 700-odd kb VRAM which was sectioned to make matters worse. Despite those limitations it ran Quake fine because all in all Quake is pretty much the first textured polygonal 3D shooter to hit storeshelves - it's not terribly complex, it was made to run on a 75MHz Pentium with no accelerator, at least initially, until GLQuake came along.
Now that you talk about RAM i'm curious, how does the DS runs NeOGeo at full speed and some big roms with only 4 mb ram?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Now that you talk about RAM i'm curious, how does the DS runs NeOGeo at full speed and some big roms with only 4 mb ram?
It usually doesn't, actually - see GBA emulation on the DS without DSTwo. If the ROM is larger than RAM, you have to stream it in chunks as needed, meaning recreate the environment in which the "console" reads a "cartridge" into its "RAM". The same applies to any file larger than the size of RAM - you copy whatever the user is seeing so that you're not wasteful while the file as a whole is "mounted".

Reactions: AtlasFontaine

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, Deez