• Replies 1,143
  • Likes 105

_Dh0ull_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Hey, i'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but i have a bit of a problem. I'm trying to encrypt a .cia file, but for some reason, i don't get the option to do that at all. Not to encrypt or decrypt. The guide on 3ds.hacks tells that this should be possible. What gives? I have the latest godmode9 too.
Thanks in advance.

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, i'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but i have a bit of a problem. I'm trying to encrypt a .cia file, but for some reason, i don't get the option to do that at all. Not to encrypt or decrypt. The guide on 3ds.hacks tells that this should be possible. What gives? I have the latest godmode9 too.
Thanks in advance.
Do you get a CIA IMAGE OPTIONS at all? Or is it just like a regular file?

_Dh0ull_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Do you get a CIA IMAGE OPTIONS at all? Or is it just like a regular file?

Yea, i should have clarified that. Yes, i don't get the usual "CIA image options..." at all. Every other option is there though.
I'm not sure if this is relevant, but it is a .cia file that has been modified and rebuilt before. The problem is, i don't know who rebuilt it or how it was rebuilt. However i DO know it works.
Thanks for the reply.

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea, i should have clarified that. Yes, i don't get the usual "CIA image options..." at all. Every other option is there though.
I'm not sure if this is relevant, but it is a .cia file that has been modified and rebuilt before. The problem is, i don't know who rebuilt it or how it was rebuilt. However i DO know it works.
Thanks for the reply.
That generally shows up for files that the program can't validate, so the header might be broken.

R4ismychildhood

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just used this to backup everything. Yet it told me to set the RTC clock, so I set it to today. Then when I restart, the 3DS system thinks it's 2035 now? Am I doing something wrong

noctis90210

Trophies
XP
Country
@d0k3
hello, just a question, i dont know if this was asked before...
just want to ask if the files inside the \gm9\support folder (specifically the aeskeydb, encTitleKeys, seeddb) mandatory to make godmode9 work properly? or just optional files? thanks and have a nice day...

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey @d0k3, remember that one stupid thing where you're not suppose to install SD titles on the NAND?
Well, I found out how to pull it off after some more derping around.

If you encrypt an SD title *.cia with GodMode9 and install it using sysUpdater, that game will be installed at:
  • 0:/title/00040000/...
I tried this with 3D Streets of Rage and F-Zero (SNES VC). The games will save, too! Lmao.
No clue yet what happens if one attempts DSiWare *.cia.

To ensure this isn't a fluke, I removed my SD card and played the games where Luma3DS is booted from CTRNAND.

Edit 1 - sysUpdater works like any CIA installer for DSiWare. An install of Shantae Risky's Revenge went in the:
  • 2:/title/00030004/...
Edit 2 - Activity Log does not distinguish the difference between my SD and NAND copies of F-Zero.
Good luck backing up your games. Checkpoint and JKSM does not recognize the NAND installs.

Edit 3 - System Settings → ... → Software does not recognize them.
No idea what happens if a game that uses DLC and updates could picked them off from the SD versus needing them in NAND.
Anyway, whatever applications doing this is limited unless someone wants their homebrew apps as system titles.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
Hey @d0k3, remember that one stupid thing where you're not suppose to install SD titles on the NAND?
Well, I found out how to pull it off after some more derping around.

If you encrypt an SD title *.cia with GodMode9 and install it using sysUpdater, that game will be installed at:
  • 0:/title/00040000/...
I tried this with 3D Streets of Rage and F-Zero (SNES VC). The games will save, too! Lmao.
No clue yet what happens if one attempts DSiWare *.cia.

To ensure this isn't a fluke, I removed my SD card and played the games where Luma3DS is booted from CTRNAND.

Edit 1 - sysUpdater works like any CIA installer for DSiWare. An install of Shantae Risky's Revenge went in the:
  • 2:/title/00030004/...
Edit 2 - Activity Log does not distinguish the difference between my SD and NAND copies of F-Zero.
Good luck backing up your games. Checkpoint and JKSM does not recognize the NAND installs.

Edit 3 - System Settings → ... → Software does not recognize them.
No idea what happens if a game that uses DLC and updates could picked them off from the SD versus needing them in NAND.
Anyway, whatever applications doing this is limited unless someone wants their homebrew apps as system titles.
Do you think this could be done for Homebrew Launcher and FBI?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you think this could be done for Homebrew Launcher and FBI?
FBI - Yes.

Homebrew Launcher, this depends if you're referring to:
  • hblauncher_loader v1.3 (yellows8) - requires robin or otherapp payload *.bin and/or older installed Nintendo 3DS Sound (for soundhax).
    • Haven't tried but should work.
    • The 3DS crashes if your SD card isn't insert.
  • Rosalina Menu new HBL injected in hblauncher_loader v1.3 (installed on NAND) - Yes.
  • Homebrew Launcher Wrapper v1.0 (pabloMK7) - This is just a placeholder title. Same like the one above, so yes.

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
FBI - Yes.

Homebrew Launcher, this depends if you're referring to:
  • hblauncher_loader v1.3 (yellows8) - requires robin or otherapp payload *.bin and/or older installed Nintendo 3DS Sound (for soundhax).
    • Haven't tried but should work.
    • The 3DS crashes if your SD card isn't insert.
  • Rosalina Menu new HBL injected in hblauncher_loader v1.3 (installed on NAND) - Yes.
  • Homebrew Launcher Wrapper v1.0 (pabloMK7) - This is just a placeholder title. Same like the one above, so yes.
Nice.
Wouldn't it be funny if Plailect's guide adopted this method for those titles?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice.
Wouldn't it be funny if Plailect's guide adopted this method for those titles?
No, not particularly. I don't foresee widespread adoption installing homebrew titles on the NAND. Messing with the SysNAND and 3DS firmware isn't something a typical user should strive to do. Before anyone calls out the hypocrisy of that statement, my 3DS interest lies in worst case recovery scenario and not so much gaming stuff.

The only slight benefit you might have is if you have several SD cards to swap between and a few homebrew titles you want to use on a permanent basis. Or maybe one or two very small games you play a lot but don't want to keep switcing between those cards to get to.

While it's neat that this is possible to do, there's not a lot of free space on the NAND. I'm not sure if there are risks using NAND installed SD titles with online services. There's also accounting for increased read and write wear rate on the NAND chip itself.

Itzumi

tinkerer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
in worst case recovery scenario

There could be a use for this in possibly VERY specific scenarios, but otherwise I agree that this wouldn't be something that usefull in general.

There's also accounting for increased read and write wear rate on the NAND chip itself.

The main con in my eyes is exactly this. If you put something like a small VC app onto the NAND, its most likely going to make it die faster, as the read/write gets used more than it should. I wouldnt see a problem with, say, 3DSIdent on NAND, as that doesn't do really any writing afaik.

Reactions: TurdPooCharger

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi.

Just got my hand on 2ds with Mario Kart 7 pre installed (brand new, no NIID). I want to experiment with making legit CIA (an option of Godmode9) since I never had chance before.

My question is with this option, will the legit CIA able to be installed and play on lower firmware (non-CFW)? I am confused since here https://github.com/knight-ryu12/godmode9-layeredfs-usage/wiki/Godmode9-CIA-Dumping-and-Building, it said:

"Select Build CIA (legit) if you intend to install into same console, otherwise select Build CIA (standard)."

I thought legit CIA meant to be able to be installed and work on non CFW?

Last edited by tivu100,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Hi.

Just got my hand on 2ds with Mario Kart 7 pre installed (brand new, no NIID). I want to experiment with making legit CIA (an option of Godmode9) since I never had chance before.

My question is with this option, will the legit CIA able to be installed and play on lower firmware (non-CFW)? I am confused since here https://github.com/knight-ryu12/godmode9-layeredfs-usage/wiki/Godmode9-CIA-Dumping-and-Building, it said:

"Select Build CIA (legit) if you intend to install into same console, otherwise select Build CIA (standard)."

If the console is 11.3 or less, yes you can install a legit cia on it and not need to install CFW. But you can download all the legit cias, you don't need to have a console with a pre installed game to get them.

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the console is 11.3 or less, yes you can install a legit cia on it and not need to install CFW. But you can download all the legit cias, you don't need to have a console with a pre installed game to get them.
I meant I want to experiment with making legit CIA now, since I didn't have chance in the past. There are a couple preinstalled legit games from newer bundles that ain't not available in legit CIA format on that site (Mario Maker, Link between World). I just want to "know" in case I come across those.

Last edited by tivu100,

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi.

Preinstalled games are different. They contain a universal ticket. If you make a CIA from them, it will work, without CFW, on any console (FW 11.3 or less).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work