Hacking [RELEASE] PFBA: Portable Final Burn Alpha - official thread

pharredd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
anyone get the roms to work from uma0 (sony memory card)? I keep getting errors when trying to load the roms from that location (I changed the line in the config text file to the appropriate path). I know the roms aren't the issue as they run fine from ux0.

zewindsor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi all,

When I launch a Coleco game, Carnival for example, I'm stuck on the blue screen where we choose the number of players and difficulty. On original Coleco, we have to press the number on the pad, regarding our choice. I tried several buttons and combinaisons of buttons on the Vita but nothing worked. I looked for the right buttons but couldn't find it.

If someone can help me, thanks :)

@cpasjuste Can you help me please :) Thanks !

DaveC1964

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
man, I need to pick up a switch...at this rate it'll be the greatest portable emulation device ever. Sucks for game developers though, piracy might just scare away all those third party developers from releasing exclusives on the switch and the switch will just become a port system and eventually end up with a similar fate to the vita (which is good news for all us emulation fans)
The Vita still has some advantages such as being more portable, better battery life, being completely bootable direct to CFW, DPAD! etc. Right now the Switch kind of sucks because you need to do all kinds of steps every time you want to run homebrew such as tethering to a phone, use weird jigs etc. Someday the Switch MIGHT be great if they can overcome some of the issues, but that is not guaranteed. I heard hacking the OS and getting the Nintendo keys is almost impossible. We will see.

Mk4rex

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
- i using PFBA 1.57, just install it as normal, not copy anything yet
- download "Aladdin (USA).md" from Emuparadise
- compress it as "aladdin.zip" and put it in folder "ux0:/data/pfba/megadriv"
- edit config.cfg to correct folder param
- open PFBA -> set filter as "SEGA MEGADR" and it recognize game as "DISNEY'S ALADDIN (EURO)"
- when I press (X) it say "DRIVER INIT FAILED"
- so what can I do now ? need BIOS files ?

Last edited by Mk4rex,

arcadegamer93

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
It's possible (lot of change). I'll take a look soon.
- open PFBA -> set filter as "SEGA MEGADR" and it recognize game as "DISNEY'S ALADDIN (EURO)"
download this modded version and install it
https://mega.nz/#!mZQAFQJR!GoPK5pVoGfesPBx7Vyo473vxluZ0lBTex3BLEVL2WmA
..open the emulator on your psvita to create pfba directories roms /previews ...pfba.cfg
download sega megadrive from this page ...emuparadise roms aren't decrypted to fba
http://www.gametronik.com/site/emulation/FBA_MD/A/1/
change the name of every megadrive rom downloaded to md_rom.zip...just add the md_ to roms downloaded from the page i gave you ...and unzip the rom.zip
then move the unzipped rom and the md_rom.zip both to ux0:/pfba/roms
download this bios file and unzip its content to pfba/roms
https://mega.nz/#!DJoHkSbD!3YNUTioCf6O2Bl-Z4q3EY65VjYft4Gcg5KuuDYSTriU
enjoy all megadrive roms
in this video i made all bios and sega and cps1 cpcs2 and neogeo roms

gartlan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

v1.57 changed to FBA v0.2.97.43 rom compatibility. In FBA the Aladdin (E) rom has a filename of 'mpr-15939.bin' (not the zip name, but the filename). You could try renaming the actual rom to that. However I suspect that you will find the emu will then pass driver init but then crash. Thats what it does for me. I think Megadrive support is completely broken in v1.57 (on Vita at least). I'd love to be proven wrong ... to get it working, as FBA v0.2.97.43 rom compatibility in 1.57 should bring improved megadrive support including translated roms and hacks. Not much point in using a modded version of pfba, particularly when there is no information about what has been modded and the lack of source code etc

cpasjuste

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
v1.57 changed to FBA v0.2.97.43 rom compatibility. In FBA the Aladdin (E) rom has a filename of 'mpr-15939.bin' (not the zip name, but the filename). You could try renaming the actual rom to that. However I suspect that you will find the emu will then pass driver init but then crash. Thats what it does for me. I think Megadrive support is completely broken in v1.57 (on Vita at least). I'd love to be proven wrong ... to get it working, as FBA v0.2.97.43 rom compatibility in 1.57 should bring improved megadrive support including translated roms and hacks. Not much point in using a modded version of pfba, particularly when there is no information about what has been modded and the lack of source code etc
Yes, that's very likely some crap on my side. Unfortunately I'm on vacations so no much coding. I'll take a look in a few days/weeks.

subcons

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi I can confirm that im having the same problem with no pfba folder in ux0:/data.

Just wanted to say I'm experiencing the same on 3.60 Enso. Keeping an eye on this thread for if/when it gets updated so I can give it another go.

EDIT: Installed 1.55 and it's working quite well. Looking forward to the fix for 1.57. Thanks for all the work on this! This emulator certainly runs certain games I want in my library better than any cores available in RetroArch.

Last edited by subcons,

Winklepicker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
found afew bugs

I have preview images "title screens" in the preview folder.
They all show up but when I scroll through the games with images, after a certain amount of preview images show they all suddenly dissapear, and they dont come back until after a restart of pfba.

Last edited by Winklepicker,

chr0m

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The Vita still has some advantages such as being more portable, better battery life, being completely bootable direct to CFW, DPAD! etc. Right now the Switch kind of sucks because you need to do all kinds of steps every time you want to run homebrew such as tethering to a phone, use weird jigs etc. Someday the Switch MIGHT be great if they can overcome some of the issues, but that is not guaranteed. I heard hacking the OS and getting the Nintendo keys is almost impossible. We will see.

The Switch really isn't as complicated as you make out. Once it's all set up I just leave it in sleep mode and on the rare occasion I want to power cycle it takes 2 seconds to plug into either PC (Phone when I'm out) and inject the payload to get it up again. PFBA is awesome on there as in Cannonball

vanzan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I just got a PSTV and am new to all this. Was having the problem with PFBA 1.57 not creating its folders. I just created the PFBA folder in ux0:/data and the next thing I started PFBA it created all the other files (config) and folders.

By the way where can I lay my hands on the previews please? Surely it's OK to ask since they're not warez? Thanks!

Reactions: flipped

arcadegamer93

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.