bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Ok fellow gbatempers, this is a quick release to fix the following:

v0.91:
- Added support for more extensions (.smd, .gen, .bin, .rom).
- Added option to apply a low pass filter to the audio.

Download from:
https://github.com/bubble2k16/picodrive_3ds/releases/download/v0.91/picodrive_3ds-v0.91.zip

Edit:
Although I added support for more extensions, I haven't really tried if they will appear in the file selection (all my ROMs are either .md or .sms) but theoretically they should. Let me know if it doesn't work.

Forgot to add that the low pass filter can be turned on and off. It doesn't sound exactly like the one in the Youtube video provided by @MaverickWellington, but it's close enough. It's got a nice deep bass to it and those scratch sounds are well... less scratchy.

The other things that I'm going to work on are those related to the forcing of NTSC/PAL mode. Will do an update maybe end of the week again.

Enjoy! :grog:

Last edited by bubble2k16,

bootmonster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any chance of version that can be used to make injects similar to blargsnes? Where the rom is loaded from a specific location in romfs?

chetchaka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick report: It works great! No visual glitches, audio glitches are obvious but not egregious (if you never played a real genesis or another genesis emulator you wouldn't notice).

There is one glaring issue: audio lags about half a second behind video! Also one of the audio channels has a slight desync compared to the others. This is not the case in your other emulators. Also I could have sworn that the first time I opened Picodrive 3DS that there was an option for auto savestates, but it seems to be gone now... strange!

Other misc things: Either SRAM saving is not implemented or it cannot be used for certain games. Tested Phantasy Star IV and Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (both with and without Knuckles lol), both games can use savestates but will not use the SRAM saves.

This emulator fixes an input issue that Retroarch has! Even when using 6 buttons, Ristar will still play normally. On Retroarch when using a 6-button controller option, Ristar (assuming this is the name of the main character) would refuse to maneuver during a certain airborne state, making many challenges much harder.

Last edited by chetchaka,

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Great work!!
The support for the cheats???

Oh yes, I had completely forgotten about it in the rush to release. :) Add that to my list of outstanding items.

------------------

As a side note, I just tried playing Virtua Racing. I didn't realize it was a 32X game until I saw the 3D graphics. It could play on a New 3DS at 60fps, (with lots of dropped frames though)... seems quite unplayable to me with so much dropped frames. Sound is probably not completedly implemented. Not sure if RetroArch runs with better speed.

Quick report: It works great! No visual glitches, audio glitches are obvious but not egregious (if you never played a real genesis or another genesis emulator you wouldn't notice).

There is one glaring issue: audio lags about half a second behind video! Also one of the audio channels has a slight desync compared to the others. This is not the case in your other emulators. Also I could have sworn that the first time I opened Picodrive 3DS that there was an option for auto savestates, but it seems to be gone now... strange!

Other misc things: Either SRAM saving is not implemented or it cannot be used for certain games. Tested Phantasy Star IV and Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (both with and without Knuckles lol), both games can use savestates but will not use the SRAM saves.

This emulator fixes an input issue that Retroarch has! Even when using 6 buttons, Ristar will still play normally. On Retroarch when using a 6-button controller option, Ristar would refuse to maneuver during a certain airborne state, making many challenges much harder.

I don't experience any audio lag. Does re-starting the emulator fix the problem?

Yes, the auto save state is still there. Under Options -> Global Settings.

And yes, I forgot about SRAMs :rofl:. More work cut out for me this weekend. :)

Last edited by bubble2k16,
Reactions: retroguy

chetchaka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh yes, I had completely forgotten.

------------------

As a side note, I just tried playing Virtua Racing. I didn't realize it was a 32X game until I saw the 3D graphics. It could play on a New 3DS at 60fps, (with lots of dropped frames though)... seems quite unplayable to me with so much dropped frames. Sound is probably not completed implemented. Not sure if RetroArch runs with better speed. Sound

Gosh I forgot about it in the rush to release. :) Add that to my list of outstanding items.

I don't experience any audio lag. Does re-starting the emulator fix the problem?

Yes, the auto save state is still there. Under Options -> Global Settings.

And yes, I forgot about SRAMs :rofl:. More work cut out for me this weekend. :)

Oh, shoot I forgot to mention, I'm on the latest home menu version 11.6 and am using the 3DSX version on a New 3DS, via Homebrew Launcher. I'll try with the CIA version and report back.

EDIT: Used the CIA version, still have the audio lag issue even after powering the 3DS off and on again in both 3DSX and CIA.
EDIT 2: I wouldn't say it's a half-second delay, more like... an eigth of a second to be much more precise. Still noticeable and enough to throw off my jump timing during Sonic, and it doesn't happen in other emulators using the same ROM (or even other Sonic ROMs). I also used the Rosalina menu to turn off the L2 Cache and reduce the CPU to 268mhz, and am still having the audio lag.

Last edited by chetchaka,
Reactions: SaffronXL

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Oh, shoot I forgot to mention, I'm on the latest home menu version 11.6 and am using the 3DSX version on a New 3DS, via Homebrew Launcher. I'll try with the CIA version and report back.

I use both 3DSX (also via Homebrew Launcher) and CIA versions on my old and new 3DS. Didn't get any sound lag issues. Does it happen every time? Can you try to see if restarting the emulator helps?

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal

EDIT: Used the CIA version, still have the audio lag issue even after powering the 3DS off and on again in both 3DSX and CIA.
EDIT 2: I wouldn't say it's a half-second delay, more like... an eigth of a second to be much more precise. Still noticeable and enough to throw off my jump timing during Sonic, and it doesn't happen in other emulators using the same ROM (or even other Sonic ROMs). I also used the Rosalina menu to turn off the L2 Cache and reduce the CPU to 268mhz, and am still having the audio lag.

Ok thanks. I'll see what I can do. :)

Reactions: chetchaka

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-