Homebrew [Release] VirtuaNES for 3DS

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
hi, nice nes emu for 3ds, im playing it on my n3ds xl

um I would like to use my existing nes saves from my pst nes emu to this one, however im not sure what format the save files should be for this emulator?
.sav or .zat? or something else?

It uses VirtuaNES as its core, so it will only accept save states from VirtuaNES.

hi @bubble2k16, I've tried the latest version 1.02, It has not yet supported the "4:3 Fit NTSC(stretch to 299x240)" screen display.

Oops I forgot about it. Sorry! I guess I will look at it another time when I am available.

c4z4dor2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I would like to play duck hunt in this wonder ... will there be the possibility to implement an option to swap screen top / bottom and use the touch screen as zapper ??? in nesDS 1.3b can be done, but the compatibility of games is far compared to this wonder of emulator

really is a great emu :D

2DSGamerdude

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I had a problem with getting Fire emblem Shadow dragon and the blade of light & Gaiden (both games were English translation patched)
to run properly in the emulator :(

They ran at an FPS: 49.9 (50) in VirutalNES, this produced sound lags & slowdown

Other games run at the normal FPS rate of 59.9 (60).

so, the simple fix for this was changing the FPS: 49.9 -> 59.9 (60) in the emulator options.

this apparently fixed the sound and slow gameplay lag issues :)
the games run "perfectly" in virtualNES now

so other games have this fps issue?

FateForWindows

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a problem with getting Fire emblem Shadow dragon and the blade of light & Gaiden (both games were English translation patched)
to run properly in the emulator :(

They ran at an FPS: 49.9 (50) in VirutalNES, this produced sound lags & slowdown

Other games run at the normal FPS rate of 59.9 (60).

so, the simple fix for this was changing the FPS: 49.9 -> 59.9 (60) in the emulator options.

this apparently fixed the sound and slow gameplay lag issues :)
the games run "perfectly" in virtualNES now

so other games have this fps issue?
It's just because it falsely detected the games as PAL roms. It's not an issue and it's why the option exists.

kathy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the "ninth vanilla level design contest" hack for super mario world has a softlock upon walking around in the "worst levels" area

D

Deleted User

awesome nes and snes emulators! thank you!

EDIT oh wow you made a pc16 and genesis emulator too..plz dude bless us with a GBC/GBA emulator port the best one is in DSI mode which sucks.

thanks for showing love for the old 3ds/2ds

Last edited by ,

AyanamiRei

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I couldn't use the search function to scout messages about IPS patching so I'll ask directly;
@bubble2k16 I know this is supposed to be a completed work (and it's great, even as a N3DS user). But would it be eventually possible to implement a IPS patches reading function in orde rto apply them on the fly, just like the Windows version does (or your own SNes9x port for 3DS) ?

PS: about SNES9x compatibility list, I don't know how to edit it, so I'll give you a little info: on n3DS, there are some levels (ex: lava ones) where thin red/pink/yellow lines cross the whole screen. Nothing making it impossible to play of course.

Last edited by AyanamiRei,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
VirtuaNES for 3DS v1.02 - Red NES Style Edition

HOME_Menu.png
virtuanes_3ds_alt.png

• bubble2k16 - virtuanes_3ds emulators, and for allowing me to post this here.
  • Vulpes-Vulpeos - Alternative banner, icon, and background.
  • astronautlevel (and co) - Anemone3DS banner template.
  • HelpTheWretched - Logo editing hex offsets.
  • able - found a bug in PicoDrive which lead to discovery of a missed icon in the *.3dsx version.
  • Nintendo (websites of USA and Japan, .com and .co.jp) - NES and FAMICOM Classic Edition color palette.

What is this?
This is... not going to be an exact repeat of a Q&A I already did. Go to this post. Swap emulators, same thing:
I'm using the *.cia version. Why isn't the top background picture showing up?
Put the virtuanes_3ds_top.png at the root of the SD card.

I don't buy this. This doesn't quite look or feel anything like a NES or FAMICOM. What gives?
When you only have red, black, white, and gray to work with, you will too struggle to find and come up with colors that fit the NES motiff.

08.20.2018 - Fixed the buttons and emulation selection menus. These had the original green color 00 97 A7 missed in the first edit release because IDA Pro missed scanning for input values with trailing 00. They now have the EC 00 8C pink.

09.22.2018 - Archive re-uploaded due to using [alt] naming convention for the *.3dsx version. This causes a bug in failure to load BIOS. Please read the explanation here. The green version is found in the green_version folder.

10.09.2018 - Corrected the internal *.smdh icon for the *.3dsx version thanks to @able.

Alternative Series
  • Snes9x - [1]
  • VirtuaNES - [2]
  • PicoDrive - [3]
  • TemperPCE - [4]

Attachments

• virtuanes_3ds_v1.02 [alt-fixed #3].7z
    1.5 MB · Views: 441
Last edited by TurdPooCharger,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apologies
For anyone who downloaded the alternative VirtuaNES fork, I made a mistake in missing the color edits in some of the panels.

Many of you may have never noticed the aesthetic issue if you never touch the button and emulation settings. The green coloring for some of the panels was carried over from bubble's original emulator. These were suppose to be colored in pink.

As for why this was missed, Bubble's VirtuaNES, PicoDrive, and TemperPCE emulators were compiled slightly differently than his Snes9x. Instead of hex editing a single line of 3 bytes value that controls all those green panels in Snes9x, the other emulators have over 30 individual inputs for each of them.

The program I used, IPA-Pro, missed identifying those inputs because the color in question has a value of 00 97 A7. IDA Pro has difficulty picking out 00 as part of a variable against the background null values. I didn't notice the mistake in my first go with VirtuaNES because of some emotional difficulties reading about the bad news that freeShop was getting borked by Nintendo's CDN server block around the time I was finishing up this NES emulator... The mistake was only found later when working on the alternative PicoDrive.

An argument could made here about compiling from the source code, and I would 100% agree choosing this route is much better than this hacky hex editing method, but the devkitARM option isn't reasonably possible on my end.

The corrections have been made with a new release. Please download this version if you like the envisioned matching pink better.

For anyone who enjoys the bits of green or find the pink too overwhelming, the original release will be kept alongside the intended release.

Gaveet

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hi!, I would like to ask a question,I know the cheats are:

"Y,cheat code,description"

There are cheats that are two codes, for example:

"GZVKIYSA + ATVKYNGG"

How should I put these?

Because in the readme it says:

1. [Y/N] represents whether the cheat is enabled. Whenever you enable/disable it in the emulator, the .CHX cheat file will be modified to save your changes.
  2. [CheatCode] must be an NES Game Genie 6- or 8-character cheat code. An NES Game-Genie code looks like this: GXOUSUSE.
  3. [Name] is a short name that represents this cheat. Since this will appear in the emulator, keep it short (< 30 characters).

And the one I want to put, are two codes together, Because this is how it is in the web of cheats codes ... Greetings and thanks ;)

sorry for my bad english XD

kathy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are we ever going to get an in-game interface for adding cheats? Having to edit the .chx file is so tedious.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi!, I would like to ask a question,I know the cheats are:

"Y,cheat code,description"

There are cheats that are two codes, for example:

"GZVKIYSA + ATVKYNGG"

How should I put these?

Because in the readme it says:

1. [Y/N] represents whether the cheat is enabled. Whenever you enable/disable it in the emulator, the .CHX cheat file will be modified to save your changes.
  2. [CheatCode] must be an NES Game Genie 6- or 8-character cheat code. An NES Game-Genie code looks like this: GXOUSUSE.
  3. [Name] is a short name that represents this cheat. Since this will appear in the emulator, keep it short (< 30 characters).

And the one I want to put, are two codes together, Because this is how it is in the web of cheats codes ... Greetings and thanks ;)

sorry for my bad english XD

Code:
Y,GZVKIYSA,Cheat part 1
Y,ATVKYNGG,Cheat part 2

Reactions: Gaveet

sedusg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Bug report:
I used Virtuanes 1.02 cia on o3ds 11.7.0-40J.
I tested Akumajou Densetsu JPN which is Castlevania 3 in Japan.
I found when I press home button in game and return to virtuanes,the emulator freezes,just the screen freeze but game goes on.
A bypass method is save a state and exit virtuanes,open virtuanes and load that state.
Also,"auto save state when exit and load state when load" not work on this game.

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bug:

When playing Metroid English version, pressing the home button while playing the game causes the audio to freeze on one note and continue playing, over the home menu music. No idea if this is an issue with other games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think Switch 2 will launch about Christmas this year lol