Religions of the Temp

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting how you attempted to start something by baiting atheists, kind of makes it look like you're the one who has nothing better to do. You're saying that atheists are going to judge people in this thread based on their beliefs, but you've already prejudged atheists based on their beliefs. The tone of your post seems purposely provocative like you're intentionally trying to start a flame war. Just an observation...

I'm not an atheist, though I am agnostic. I was born into a Roman Catholic family, christened a few months later and confirmed in my early teens. Since then, I've developed a fairly sceptical point of view about everything, especially after reading the bible a few times. Judging people based on their beliefs is very wrong in my book, because nobody knows who is right and who is wrong.
yeah i think its kinda hypocritical as atheism is a religion unto itself

Reactions: maniax300

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah i think its kinda hypocritical as atheism is a religion unto itself

Actually, it's kind of inherently not a religion. Hence the "a" in "atheism."

62X84ra.gif

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Actually, it's kind of inherently not a religion. Hence the "a" in "atheism."

62X84ra.gif
Except that by being an atheist, you're actively believing something about the supernatural state of things, that there is none (or no God at least), when you have no more way of knowing than a muslim or Christian would know that there IS a god (theirs). Sounds religious to me. The only truly nonreligious belief, imo, is that of the agnostic, who neither denies nor affirms the existence of God.

I think the word "atheist" is poorly chosen, considering what it means. the 'A' in "atheist" would imply "non-theist"... Strictly by that breakdown, you can not be a theist, and still believe god exists.

Reactions: totalnoob617

EzekielRage

Hero of the Void
Trophies
Website
www.void-comics.com
XP
Country
Australia
Except that by being an atheist, you're actively believing something about the supernatural state of things, that there is none (or no God at least), when you have no more way of knowing than a muslim or Christian would know that there IS a god (theirs). Sounds religious to me. The only truly nonreligious belief, imo, is that of the agnostic, who neither denies nor affirms the existence of God.

I think the word "atheist" is poorly chosen, considering what it means. the 'A' in "atheist" would imply "non-theist"... Strictly by that breakdown, you can not be a theist, and still believe god exists.

that is compeltely wrong. atheist means "does not believe" agnostic means "does not know" so EVERYONE os an agnsotic because nobody knows. we atheists (yes, i am one myself) simply dont believe in supernatural stuff. end of story. like you don't believe in the leprachaun or the unicorn. during history, there were 2300 known gods to man. you are atheist to 2299 of them, we just went one god further.

we dont believe in god, we dont believe in spirtitual or supernatural stuff. and most of us just dont care. i do care however because i reccon it is a sad sign of society if people are good people because the ythink they will get a reward for being good or get punished for being bad. what twisted morale logic is that? i am a good guy because i am a good guy. i dont get anything fro being a good guy. but i still am a good guy. because thats the right thing to do.

people need to get atheism straight ebfore they trash it, which is riddiculous in itself. you think whatever you want, but don't tell me atheism is a religion or that its a belief in itself because that is not true...

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
that is compeltely wrong. atheist means "does not believe" agnostic means "does not know" so EVERYONE os an agnsotic because nobody knows. we atheists (yes, i am one myself) simply dont believe in supernatural stuff. end of story. like you don't believe in the leprachaun or the unicorn. during history, there were 2300 known gods to man. you are atheist to 2299 of them, we just went one god further.
No, an agnostic believes that nothing is known (or can be known). Since religions are based on what is "known" about their chosen deities, they cannot be agnostic by definition. For example, Christians believe that things written in the bible are the truth, such as Jesus was the son of God. They know it because of their belief, whereas an agnostic knows that it may not be true. They know there is only one God, whereas an agnostic knows there could be no gods, one god or many gods.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Eh, I'm going to have to disagree. Religion isn't just a set of beliefs on supernatural explanations for the state of the world - it's a series of beliefs in supernatural explanations for the state of the world. Atheists lack such a belief entirely. The distinction is subtle, sure, but it makes a world of difference.

Not to mention, a key part of religion is an adherence to certain rituals and a belief in an absolute, divinely-mandated set of morals - Atheism lacks both of these key qualities inherently.

Some atheists can be extremely dogmatic about their beliefs, sure, but that's neither here nor there.

Actually, that's just deism. Though I will agree, the distinction can be quite murky. Religious belief isn't necessarily binary (Do you believe or not?); it's more along the lines of a spectrum, with an infinite range of possibilities.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

The Pi

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm in a place somewhere in the mist of, Apatheism, Atheism and Agnosticism. I personally don't believe in a deity although it is impossible to disprove "God" but I don't see the question of whether one exists as useful. If the deity/deities wanted people to believe in him/her/them/whatever then surely it wouldn't be left up to interpretation so either it doesn't matter or nothing exists. Either way there's no point caring.

I normally just say I'm an atheist though, since I can never be bothered explaining what Apatheism is.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Atheist, but don't care whatever religion you are, as long as you aren't fucking shoving it down my throat. That's where I start getting mad at religion, but I'm not the only one... Right guys? :D
Totally true. Even those of us who have a religion hate having others shove their religion down our throat. It seems obvious but some people just don't grasp the obvious very well.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting videos:

I like Neil deGrasse Tyson and agree with the main point of what he's saying in this video, but he seems to be implying before the end that atheism and agnosticism are mutually exclusive, when in fact they're never mutually exclusive; one makes a belief claim and one makes a knowledge claim. His only qualm seems to be what he is/isn't actively saying/doing. To take his example, just because he's not actively promoting a non-golfer view doesn't mean he's not a non-golfer. If a "pastafarianist" is someone who believes in the flying spaghetti monster and an "apastafarianist" is someone who lacks the belief in the flying spaghetti monster, then I'm an "apastafarianist" regardless of my apathy and the fact that I don't say or do anything in regards to my "apastafarianism." If Neil deGrasse Tyson's answer to the question "Do you accept the claim that god(s) exist?" is anything other than "Yes, I accept the claim that one or more gods exist," then he's an atheist by definition.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
people need to get atheism straight ebfore they trash it, which is riddiculous in itself. you think whatever you want, but don't tell me atheism is a religion or that its a belief in itself because that is not true...
I can see what you're getting at in your post, except for this part I've quoted here. When did I trash atheism? Please quote the part where I did in my post.

Eh, I'm going to have to disagree. Religion isn't just a set of beliefs on supernatural explanations for the state of the world - it's a series of beliefs in supernatural explanations for the state of the world. Atheists lack such a belief entirely. The distinction is subtle, sure, but it makes a world of difference.

Not to mention, a key part of religion is an adherence to certain rituals and a belief in an absolute, divinely-mandated set of morals - Atheism lacks both of these key qualities inherently.

Some atheists can be extremely dogmatic about their beliefs, sure, but that's neither here nor there.

Actually, that's just deism. Though I will agree, the distinction can be quite murky. Religious belief isn't necessarily binary (Do you believe or not?); it's more along the lines of a spectrum, with an infinite range of possibilities.
Indeed, you're right. Sorry, I got deism and agnosticism mixed up for a moment there.

Anyway, fair enough. I think your point here makes the most sense.

Reactions: Gahars

EzekielRage

Hero of the Void
Trophies
Website
www.void-comics.com
XP
Country
Australia
i didn't mean you personally. it is a general experience. also, im out of this discussion. simply because "insert TDK Alfred about joker quote here".

It is amazing to me (in general, nobody particular) that people try to tell me they know my own ideals better than i do. how riddiculous is that? furthermore, religious people all belief that all religions except their own is manmade. people of other beliefs think that your religion is manmade as well. so what makes you think you have more knowledge than they do? how can you be so goddamn sure (yes, i went there) that you are right about this?

as said, i am out of here. usually i don't comment on threads like this at all because it always ends the same way: insane people bashing the few sane ones. it is like nazi germany all over again, only this time atheists are the abd guys, not the jews. and no, cotnrary to popular belief, hitler was NOT an atheist. once again, get your facts right.

spike (that would be me) out.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
i didn't mean you personally. it is a general experience. also, im out of this discussion. simply because "insert TDK Alfred about joker quote here".

It is amazing to me (in general, nobody particular) that people try to tell me they know my own ideals better than i do. how riddiculous is that? furthermore, religious people all belief that all religions except their own is manmade. people of other beliefs think that your religion is manmade as well. so what makes you think you have more knowledge than they do? how can you be so goddamn sure (yes, i went there) that you are right about this?

as said, i am out of here. usually i don't comment on threads like this at all because it always ends the same way: insane people bashing the few sane ones. it is like nazi germany all over again, only this time atheists are the abd guys, not the jews. and no, cotnrary to popular belief, hitler was NOT an atheist. once again, get your facts right.

spike (that would be me) out.
Soooooooo you get irritated that people try to tell you they know about your beliefs better than you do, then proceed to make an extremely generalizing statement about all other religions ("religious people all belief that all religions except their own is manmade")?

Reactions: Maxternal

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER