Remedy Entertainment to remake the first two Max Payne games

Max_Payne_2001_Shot_11-1300x975.jpg

Remedy Entertainment, developers of Control and the Alan Wake franchise, announced today they were working on a remake of Max Payne and Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne. Remedy developed the original games in 2001 and 2003, but the license is owned by Rockstar Games, who publishes the series and developed the third game in-house. However, Remedy has reached an agreement with Rockstar to remake the first two games in their proprietary Northlight engine, to release on PC, PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S. The project is still in the "concept development stage," so it's unlikely we will see a release date anytime soon.

:arrow: Source

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm torn about this. The best remake they could make would be an N Sane Trilogy kind of remake.

I hope though this is a pathway to a true Max Payne 3.
Issue is Crash gameplay didn't get old as much as MP 1+2. I think it's safe to assume they will ramp it up to at least match MP3 in terms of gameplay.

NeSchn

Swag.
Trophies
Website
neschncardreviews.tk
XP
Country
United States
This makes me excited but if it's anything like Max Payne 3 then I'll be so upset. That game was such a snore fest. 20 minute cutscenes and then only 5-10 minutes of gameplay between the next 20 minute cutscene had me so irate that I quit playing. :(

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PllpThis makes me excited but if it's anything like Max Payne 3 then I'll be so upset. That game was such a snore fest. 20 minute cutscenes and then only 5-10 minutes of gameplay between the next 20 minute cutscene had me so irate that I quit playing. :(
Hmm.. It wasn't that bad for me, but i understand where you're coming from, MP 1&2 had that comic style in cutscenes that gave the games much personality, and it fitted the games well, with all the grim setting they were going for.. But those two games are separate from MP3, MP3 had a change in tone, atmosphere, those "long" cutscenes are woven into the story-telling, and they tried to show what he is going through, memories, drugs, addiction etc.. One thing i wish if they toned down those glitchy effects just a tad, they can be annoying and out of place at times, just like if they made them occur only when he's confused, needs pills etc.
Gameplay wise, i think it has a sizable amount of gameplay, not short or anything, but not as snappy because of what i discussed above, the first 2 succeed in that regard, yes.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, good news i guess? though the gameplay on those games is still solid, and visually is still quite good too, even the Xbox version (MP1) runs really smooth ~60fps (give or take), the one i played, i still can't see this remake treatment fitting here, it doesn't really need it, but whatever..
Or they maybe they should've started working on Max Payne 4 instead.. 🤔

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm torn about this. The best remake they could make would be an N Sane Trilogy kind of remake.

I hope though this is a pathway to a true Max Payne 3.
True max payne 3..... whats that then, I mean they cant exactly go recycle the same storyline yet again, thats why #2 was a shit game and that's even if you got passed the very shit textures.

Would be interesting to see #1 remade and not a shit port like the GTA trillogy, #2 unless they fuck the old script off and re do the game then maybe

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Sounds good, remedy was a good choice after they did with control.
Well, Control was a brand new IP, so they could run with it.
"Macusu Painu" is an established franchise that nobody needed to awaken.
High risk maneuver inbound.
Lots of crying and snot expulsion if the voices are not the same as the original. The face is not the same as the original.
The music is not the same as the original.
And sometimes we sane people question the need for remakes.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That is a serious task to take on, and be it for mechanics, touchy feely story sensibilities or general age of the game that I am not expecting much with this one. It could be done, several examples of people that really get it actually doing remakes and spiritual sequels/prequels justice, but I would not have any money on it.

I will however be the voice of dissent. I really liked Max Payne 3, and I also like the first two (though I played 2 first). Though it a plenty fitting entry in the series and quite happily suggest it for newcomers and old fans alike. I played it years after release on my 360 and was there for hours when I could have been doing other things.

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
:sleeping:
:yawning_face:

Yeah...another Remake...... yippi....
Thankfully the Game Companies today have that great Idea(s).
Originality is dead/dying in the eyes of corporate measures and risk assessment of digging out older IP's and doing something with them over betting your dollars on something new and potentially a hit. Especially since most studios do not have the mindset or desire to make anything new that isn't a "live service" or won't be rushed as hell only to be abandoned on release because most studios do not work like Hello Games in turning their shit around for years on end to make an actual enjoyable game. Hell even CDPR does not have the patience to see Cyberpunk 2077 to a better end and has started toying around with another Witcher game.

Honestly speaking I hope they put more effort in these remakes than Rockstar did with the GTA "remasters".

Reactions: Alexander1970

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/vKQN3UiNNHY?si=fP6ZlFe-DhQf9SW7