Hacking Removing 3G modem Card?

goober

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone know if you remove the 3G modem card that the Vita will still work and basically become a Wi-Fi only model in battery life and whatnot? Most of the Vita hardware is very plug and play but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't as simple as unplugging the modem card and moving on.

EDIT:
Blerg, thought I posted this in the hardware section. My apologies.

goober

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep, and the 3G modem module is only 3G related, the wi-fi chip isn't there. So, yes, in theory, it should work fine assuming that the Vita software and hardware is fine with the card missing. I'm just not confident enough on whether the Vita would freak out if the card went missing and if it needed to be reformatted that the software just checks for the card to be plugged in and goes from there whether it is or not during installation. (and turning off 3G doesn't entirely reduce battery drain versus just the wi-fi model, and that would make sense with the extra card in there still, thus in theory if I remove it, no more battery drain)

In theory for costs it should be very simple, but this is Sony so...

What also gives me pause is that Wololo had a battery mod article that ruled out the 3G model, and you'd think if you could remove the card just like that and still have the Vita work they would mention that, in case you would sacrifice the 3G for extra battery space.

EDIT:

I took the plunge, super preliminary result is about 30 mins extra battery life when removing the 3G module and sim card module with everything at the same settings with flight mode on. Reformatting the Vita results in the same install, same network operator settings and such, it just gives a generic connectivity error if you try to turn on the 3G or GPS signal. Wi-fi works fine, online gaming works, PSN works, signal is just as strong as before. I lost about 5% of the weight with those components removed, 14 grams. Tomorrow I will do a full battery test a couple times to see if you truly do save a little extra on battery life by physically removing the component. At the very least you lose some weight and gain some space inside for the battery mod.

EDIT 2:

It is indeed around 30 mins of extra battery life. I had Sly and Uncharted playing with the same scene with just the camera turning around automatically and both averaged 30 mins of extra battery life with the modem physically removed.

freak_powa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello everyone, I know this thread is a bit old, but please can someone give us another feedback on the removal of the 3D modem (ease of handling, time, changes on the OS, ...) ?

I don't want to install a 3G SD adapter instead, just remove it as goober do.
If I can save those 30 minutes of battery for the train, it would be great!

I just discovered the PS vita scene and this portable console is really great (olde screen, for factor, games library, ...).

I also found some video on YT but want gbatemp community feedback.

sombrerosonic

Idiot machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone, I know this thread is a bit old, but please can someone give us another feedback on the removal of the 3D modem (ease of handling, time, changes on the OS, ...) ?

I don't want to install a 3G SD adapter instead, just remove it as goober do.
If I can save those 30 minutes of battery for the train, it would be great!

I just discovered the PS vita scene and this portable console is really great (olde screen, for factor, games library, ...).

I also found some video on YT but want gbatemp community feedback.
Not really a Vita know-it-all, more or less a PSP guy but ill try, 30 minutes is a good beef up in power, but i think its best to not do in my opinion unless you know what your doing. If you need more power, i recommend you finding a better battery if your battery is degraded by alot or just buy a power block from a convenience store as a spare power source to keep it powered for longer.

Thats my take on it anyways.

Reactions: freak_powa

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    GL.iNet GL-MT3000 (Beryl AX) Pocket-Sized Wi-Fi 6 Wireless Travel Gigabit Router | WiFi Router | OpenVPN, Wireguard, Connect to Public & Hotel Wi-Fi login Page, RV https://a.co/d/5AyCGSY
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I kind of think half of them are just for looks lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Cheaper routers are just as good these days
    Ken that one resembles Shockwave from G1 Transformers lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    TP-Link Tri-Band BE9300 WiFi 7 Router Archer BE550 | 6-Stream 9.2Gbps | 𝗙𝘂𝗹𝗹 𝟮.𝟱𝗚 Ports | USB 3.0 | 6 Smart Internal Antennas | VPN Clients & Server | Easy Mesh, HomeShield, Private IoT Network https://a.co/d/862to3i
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I talked my Cable guy into giving me a upgraded router when I switch cable, is nice, works farthdr than old one, and streams 4k fine
    +1
    Ken that one I linked is like 170 bucks or something that's pretty cheap for the speeds and what coverage it has to be honest lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I feel like wifi7 will be standard by 2025
    Looks Like Darth Vaders shuttle lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    1Gbps will probably be around $50 by 25 also
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I hope, I'm paying that for 500mb now
    I would be paying 40 for 1Gbps but now it's free lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My last ips guy told me college is already testing 20Gbps
    I can get 3Gbps here right now but it's like LOL 300 a month or something
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $30 for 300Mbps is fine for me
    Free 1Gbps is good enough for me :P lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Most universities, school are fiber optic tho, not many residential areas have fiber optic yet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I remember me and friends would pirate movies at local libraries
    I am super blessed 2 fiber runs to my house with competing companies lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Lucky, I can't get yet in my hood
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got one friend that can't get fiber four houses down because of city lines
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Would be like $400 for them to install it
    Technically for a month there I had Frontier FIOS 500Mbps and Spectrum 1Gbps (they got me on Spectrum because it was a little cheaper for double the speed)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Speedcum
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Speedcum