Hardware Reselling the Wii U at launch date

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I am considering buying a few Wii-U's at launch and reselling them in the hopes of making a profit when the rush buying begins for it. I remember when the wii/360 were released they were hard to find and thus people were selling them for $100-$200 more than they paid for them on ebay. What are your all's thoughts on this? Will the Wii U be short in stock at launch like the Wii was, thus creating a high demand? Will the hype for it be very high at release, causing a shortage of them? Thanks for your input in advance.
?? this has got to be the dumbest question.( well in this thread, i've heard worse)..
IF (an thats a big one, cause it's obvious your a mr. money bags.) but unlike you, i'm not, just like alot of the people in "todays" world of instability, an low income. more then likely a lot of people who have the wii's will stick with what we have, until the price drops, or wait till taxes come back. then IF, the game base is large enough, they still Might buy it. (this is what i did before i got our wii.). your right their will be hype, but short lived.
me personaly i have better things to do then give my hard earned money away to someone like you. ( an my feelings are the same as most people.).
Times are surely different now, but I used to sell the Wii for about $400 on a 3 day auction starting at 99 cents, no reserve. As to the longevity of hype, it took about a year to drop to $300, which was no longer worth it. There was a definite market that, in my opinion, was not giving their money away, they were paying me to stand on a line for 4-8 hours, pick the item up for them, and send it to them insured, with the original receipt. Wii U business might possibly be a tad slower than that, but I'd bet you could sell 3 per week for like $500 or possibly more. It's just a grind that some people will pay to avoid, even if the economy sucks.
If you know what it's like out there, you should know what it's like to sell your stuff to pay the rent. What's so different about this?
The internet wasn't as intergrated into our lives as it is now, why would someone buy a game console for almost double the price if they could just wait a week, check out amazon, and get it for a fair price. If this was 05 or 06 when we didn't have phones that could do everything short of making toast, not only that but it was back when pretty much the only thing that could play games were game consoles. If he wants to sell these for double when the console is probably already going to have trouble at launch with the price it has (estimated around 300 or 350) that's this guys cash to burn.

Reactions: 1 person
D

Deleted_171835

The internet wasn't as intergrated into our lives as it is now, why would someone buy a game console for almost double the price if they could just wait a week, check out amazon, and get it for a fair price. If this was 05 or 06 when we didn't have phones that could do everything short of making toast, not only that but it was back when pretty much the only thing that could play games were game consoles. If he wants to sell these for double when the console is probably already going to have trouble at launch with the price it has (estimated around 300 or 350) that's this guys cash to burn.
lol we had amazon in 2006.

The Wii sold at ridiculously high-prices because it was really hard to find and demand was high. Waiting a week and checking on Amazon won't fix that.

OP hopes the same will happen with the Wii U. Hard to predict if that will be the case. He might strike it lucky or he might be stuck with a bunch of Wii Us.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The Wii sold at ridiculously high-prices because it was really hard to find and demand was high. Waiting a week and checking on Amazon won't fix that.

OP hopes the same will happen with the Wii U. Hard to predict if that will be the case. He might strike it lucky or he might be stuck with a bunch of Wii Us.

Side note: I thought Wii Us sounded funny.

On topic: Nintendo typically don't make the same sales mistakes twice. I doubt they'll really be shorting the stock on Wii U's.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
even if he does get stuck with them he can resell them at retail again minus the tax unless nobody wants it...

Side note: I thought Wii Us sounded funny.

On topic: Nintendo typically don't make the same sales mistakes twice. I doubt they'll really be shorting the stock on Wii U's.

that the successors name
Wii U Us

rad140

GBAtemp's "over quoter"
Trophies
Website
rad140.livejournal.com
XP
Country
Canada
While I don't condone of this practice, people do do (heh, do-do) it.

I don't think you're considering the logistics of how you're going to do it.

What if the store only allows you to purchase one/customer on launch day? You going to bring your friends, wait in line for hours, and then buy them off? Drive around town buying all the Wii U's you see?

How are you going to sell it? Online, on ebay or craigslist? You'll be competing with everyone else who's doing the same thing, who may have posted it before you. You're not going to make as much are you think you are.

And this all assumes there is going to be demand for it like the Wii on launch. If I can go into any store and pick it up off the shelf a day/week/month later, your plan isn't going to work.

tronic307

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I am considering buying a few Wii-U's at launch and reselling them in the hopes of making a profit when the rush buying begins for it. I remember when the wii/360 were released they were hard to find and thus people were selling them for $100-$200 more than they paid for them on ebay. What are your all's thoughts on this? Will the Wii U be short in stock at launch like the Wii was, thus creating a high demand? Will the hype for it be very high at release, causing a shortage of them? Thanks for your input in advance.
?? this has got to be the dumbest question.( well in this thread, i've heard worse)..
IF (an thats a big one, cause it's obvious your a mr. money bags.) but unlike you, i'm not, just like alot of the people in "todays" world of instability, an low income. more then likely a lot of people who have the wii's will stick with what we have, until the price drops, or wait till taxes come back. then IF, the game base is large enough, they still Might buy it. (this is what i did before i got our wii.). your right their will be hype, but short lived.
me personaly i have better things to do then give my hard earned money away to someone like you. ( an my feelings are the same as most people.).
Times are surely different now, but I used to sell the Wii for about $400 on a 3 day auction starting at 99 cents, no reserve. As to the longevity of hype, it took about a year to drop to $300, which was no longer worth it. There was a definite market that, in my opinion, was not giving their money away, they were paying me to stand on a line for 4-8 hours, pick the item up for them, and send it to them insured, with the original receipt. Wii U business might possibly be a tad slower than that, but I'd bet you could sell 3 per week for like $500 or possibly more. It's just a grind that some people will pay to avoid, even if the economy sucks.
If you know what it's like out there, you should know what it's like to sell your stuff to pay the rent. What's so different about this?
They did have smartphones back then, just not as capable. I had Amazon send me a text every time the Wii was in stock. Sometimes I wasn't fast enough, even if I cleared the screen as fast as I could, and set the Amazon page as my home page. I wouldn't wait in lines if I didn't have to. I personally hope that everyone will be able to just walk into GameStop and checkout with a Wii U this time around. When in doubt, pre-order!

The Milkman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

No shit we had amazon, but Im pretty sure we didn't have so many stores and people on on it and it wasn't on our phones. Even if its in short stock I'm pretty sure if you look hard enough your going to find atleast two or three at retail price.

The Milkman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They did have smartphones back then, just not as capable. I had Amazon send me a text every time the Wii was in stock. Sometimes I wasn't fast enough, even if I cleared the screen as fast as I could, and set the Amazon page as my home page. I wouldn't wait in lines if I didn't have to. I personally hope that everyone will be able to just walk into GameStop and checkout with a Wii U this time around. When in doubt, pre-order!
Really? Which smartphone then? I know we had blackberrys before that but I wouldnt call it a smartphone.

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really? Which smartphone then? I know we had blackberrys before that but I wouldnt call it a smartphone.
I believe both htc and windows had some smartphones around at the time. I do know my father was sporting this thing around 2006/07.
2.jpg

The Milkman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe both htc and windows had some smartphones around at the time. I do know my father was sporting this thing around 2006/07.
2.jpg
OOOOHHH Those. Yeah, I had one before I got my XPlay, I just called it a PDA Phone, didn't know those were considered smartphones.

tronic307

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2.jpg
OOOOHHH Those. Yeah, I had one before I got my XPlay, I just called it a PDA Phone, didn't know those were considered smartphones.
Is that an HTC 8525? I think that's similar to what I had with Cingular! My keys were silver, though. Pretty bad by today's standards; it was slow, and the touchscreen wasn't the most accurate. If i recall correctly, the term 'smartphone' was new then, but it was used for these. The term 'PDA phone' is likely more apt.

D

Deleted_171835

No shit we had amazon, but Im pretty sure we didn't have so many stores and people on on it and it wasn't on our phones. Even if its in short stock I'm pretty sure if you look hard enough your going to find atleast two or three at retail price.
We sure did and it was definitely on our phones (Amazon's mobile site says hello) if you can even remember. It was 2006, not the Middle Ages.

giavol

Trophies
XP
Country
Whats wrong with playing roulette? It is also a 50/50 chance(if you play the colors)! And you wont have to stay in a line for 24 hours!

tronic307

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a few caveats: If anyone wants to sell game consoles this fall, get your eBay accounts up to speed now. If you haven't sold 20 items in the past 6 months, eBay will have PayPal hold your funds until 3 days after the buyer gets their stuff, making it impossible to pre-sell. This policy wasn't in effect in 2006-2007, but Amazon wouldn't let you open a seller account with video game merchandise during the holidays back then: You had to be previously established as a seller. A PayPal debit card is a plus, as accessing the money is then instantaneous. Half.com pays every 2 weeks, so watch out for that. I had to give a refund once, because I accidentally multi-posted, and thus oversold on half.com. Nobody tried to low-ball me on CraigsList for these particular items, but buyers like to bring big bills that sometimes look old, and invariably want to break the seal to see what's in the box, but I would do the same. Always give them the receipt (you can keep the gift receipt, or scan it), unless you want to provide the warranty yourself. I never had a chargeback, but beware: Keep all documentation in case someone says they never received their item.

The Milkman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We sure did and it was definitely on our phones (Amazon's mobile site says hello) if you can even remember. It was 2006, not the Middle Ages.
Well, I was 9. Cant say I really cared back then :P But still, you cant say that things haven't changed, and it doesn't change the fact that the Wii U probably wont sell out.

D

Deleted_171835

Well, I was 9. Cant say I really cared back then :P But still, you cant say that things haven't changed, and it doesn't change the fact that the Wii U probably wont sell out.
Probably? It's impossible to know for sure.

The Milkman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably? It's impossible to know for sure.
Hence the word probably

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @RedColoredStars, I've got a fairly dark sense of humor lol.