Retro City Rampage Is Finally Out Next Week!

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Seems like a great game, but $15 seems to be a bit on the steep side. Still, it seems really interesting.
Really? The amount of content put into this it seems like a very good bargain! I mean people would pay £49.99 for a game with 7 hours worth of gameplay and yet this promises so much more and only cost me £6.99.
I'm worried that this might be a one-trick pony. Something you boot up once or twice, and then never touch again. In that case, it's certainly way too expensive. If it indeed provides more than that (dare I say something similar to GTA Chinatown Wars?), it will certainly be worth the asking price.
Same with buying a DVD/Blu-Ray, you'd normally only get 4+ hours if you're lucky and they costs £9.99 at least and even then the content is only worth watching once.
I think buying a movie is something many people only do if they really love the movie. I don't really want to rewatch most movies, even good ones.

The question is: will Retro City Rampage be worth playing more than once or twice? Is the game actually fun to play after you're over the "hey, it's GTA on a NES" part?

P

pasc

If you think about the fact that this thing was once called "grandtheftendo" and was supposed to be a faithful recreation for the NES... he dropped out of lawsuit fear and did this...

Doesn't look too bad... maybe get it on WiiWare/PC once it arrives

Seriously do me a favor, do HUGE Newspost on the temp when this baby arrives :)

D

Deleted_171835

Looks really awesome. I'll be buying this on Steam.

Kind of hoping it comes to the 3DS so I have a portable version. Or at least the Wii U (GamePad).

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Holy crap this game makes a lot of references to other games. Aside from the mentionings in the OP, the trailer shows references to Mario, Zelda, smash TV, metal gear (the NES version) and River city Ransom...and I think that tank may be a reference to metal slug.

Here's to hoping for a good end result (would the game be fun to play if it wasn't doing all those winks?). :)

MeowTheMouse

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
I wasn't getting it at 10$ cause of the whole xbla delay thing. Now, with 15$ as the new price, I'll avoid it completely.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
If you think about the fact that this thing was once called "grandtheftendo" and was supposed to be a faithful recreation for the NES... he dropped out of lawsuit fear and did this...

i've never read that. according to the last post he made on the page, it was still in development. from what i've read he dropped the homebrew release in favor of an actual game release. it seems it was more an issue of releasing something for free or putting in much more development time and actually getting paid for his efforts.

http://web.archive.org/web/20060419005217/http://grandtheftendo.com/

[2005-11-02 03:20] Game News

It's been quite some time since the last update. I've just been too busy at work. I've still been working on GTN on a regular basis a little bit at a time, though as I've said before, it's still going to be a while before it's finished. I kind of regret announcing the game so long before it will actually be completed, as now you all have been waiting for over a year with still no release, but let me explain.

Many of you have emailed me regarding my initial announcement last year, in which I anticipated the game being complete a few months down the road from then. This was due to the fact that at the time, I was a software programmer, which gave me much more free time. Now that I'm in the game industry, I've made good friends with a little thing called "The Crunch" :). Working full time, and often much more than that, the time for hobby projects sometimes gets compressed to a minimal.

As they say though, slow and steady wins the race, and GTN stays under continuous development. It's progressed quite a bit since the original announcement, but it still has quite a ways to go. I purposely stopped hyping the game with updates to this site a while ago, because knowing it would be so long before it was finished, they would only make the wait feel longer. Just keep yourselves busy, and one day I will surprise you all with an update and release date!

-another world

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm worried that this might be a one-trick pony. Something you boot up once or twice, and then never touch again. In that case, it's certainly way too expensive. If it indeed provides more than that (dare I say something similar to GTA Chinatown Wars?), it will certainly be worth the asking price.

The question is: will Retro City Rampage be worth playing more than once or twice? Is the game actually fun to play after you're over the "hey, it's GTA on a NES" part?
This is certainly not a one trick pony and it's a hell of a lot more than just a retro version of GTA, I'd certainly won't be that into it if it was that! While you can carjack and go off on a rampage and get chased by cops, most of the missions are more like cut down versions of NES games only with some modern twists (e.g. a Commando style game using a cover system & a better way to aim or even switching to a 2D perspective for some side-scrolling gameplay). Overall there are 50 story missions (and they're not just fetch quests either) and 30 challenge levels added on top of it. Personally I don't see it as a GTA style game anymore, I see it more as a love letter to the NES era.

It looks like one of those games where you'd either, like GTA, just boot up to cause some chaos and kill some time trying to get a highscore or getting some achievements completed or just replaying some missions that you really liked. I mean it really depends on the type of gamer that you are.

For me the £6.99 I paid for the pre-order was a fantastic deal if it all turns out right. I paid £30 for Sleeping Dogs and I've not touched that since I finished it.

Reactions: 1 person
P

pasc

i've never read that. according to the last post he made on the page, it was still in development. from what i've read he dropped the homebrew release in favor of an actual game release. it seems it was more an issue of releasing something for free or putting in much more development time and actually getting paid for his efforts.

http://web.archive.o...dtheftendo.com/

[2005-11-02 03:20] Game News

It's been quite some time since the last update. I've just been too busy at work. I've still been working on GTN on a regular basis a little bit at a time, though as I've said before, it's still going to be a while before it's finished. I kind of regret announcing the game so long before it will actually be completed, as now you all have been waiting for over a year with still no release, but let me explain.

Many of you have emailed me regarding my initial announcement last year, in which I anticipated the game being complete a few months down the road from then. This was due to the fact that at the time, I was a software programmer, which gave me much more free time. Now that I'm in the game industry, I've made good friends with a little thing called "The Crunch" :). Working full time, and often much more than that, the time for hobby projects sometimes gets compressed to a minimal.

As they say though, slow and steady wins the race, and GTN stays under continuous development. It's progressed quite a bit since the original announcement, but it still has quite a ways to go. I purposely stopped hyping the game with updates to this site a while ago, because knowing it would be so long before it was finished, they would only make the wait feel longer. Just keep yourselves busy, and one day I will surprise you all with an update and release date!

-another world

That is partially right, however I asked him personally about the GTN version he had originally planned for the NES and he replied that he would never release the GTA3 NES port called "Grandtheftendo" due possilbe legal followups - which is sad however understandable.

I may find the exact quote again, gotta search in my Twitter log...

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
as i said, he stopped development because he wanted to focus on getting paid. i never suggested he had finished it and did not release it due to legal issues. as far as i know, read, and have been told, legal reasons were not the reason he stopped development.

-another world

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's now out to buy!
http://www.gog.com/g...ro_city_rampage

Pre-order folk (like me) are still waiting for their email to where to download it and Steam page for it has vanished.

Oh and here is a little something:

EDIT: Now on Steam...still no download link, pre-ordering is for chumps?

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I paid a lot less for the pre-order...though I still haven't got my code to grab it on Steam or GoG!

First 30 minutes footage, shows off the display modes and other stuff.

EDIT:
I got my focking code!! Grabbing it on Steam, other pre-order folk should have it soon or now.

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
Fantastic! I unconditionally love this game already. He worked so hard on it, and it shows, even from the trailer!

I'll play this game until my fingers break. Then I'll use my elbows!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    RG Cube is going to be good for ps2 if it's $100
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, and since the default emulator is below average i downloaded some "replacements" like snes9x for snes games for example
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    And I also have my ps3
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea ps3 is a beast still to today compared to most "sticks"
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you just want pi for emulation no point when Anbernic releases new shit every two seconds
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What's really cool about Pi's tho is you can have multiple SD cards with different OS on each SD card and change from say a gaming machine to a full fledged pc if wanted
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Plus all bios are set up and usually includes at least 128gbs or 64
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah but if your main goal is just to play n64 and GameCube you can save about $50 and have the portability option
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, but on 2 monitors at 4k. Its just want you want really, to each they own.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    For a kids aspect Anbernic would be the better option they'd probably melt over the price on a good 4k display
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    For that texasroo guy, I'd recommend the Spell and speak as his first system.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    So they buy a pi5 kit for about $150 and say a 28" 4k display probably looking around $400 total
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll be getting in the territory of portable Pcs anyway
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Again you get what you pay for, its like buying a S series for $300 but its only 1440p native, if you want true 4k, gotta get the X model for $500. But yea you right, when moms buying it anyways, you gotta stay cheap.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They could use HD out on their TV no real need for a monitor these days tbh the purists will disagree
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm kind of phasing out on the need for wanting all these consoles cool to have but they just become dust build ups
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I here ya there, I have too many myself, and have hard time letting them go, since most of mine I've modded at some point. Anymore I just play Switch on the go, seriesx at home.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    ack my throat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I need to invest in some storage totes tbh
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Tots?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tootles
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Tootles? Wtf
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh tootles
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh totes , lol, like Tupperware storage, I gotcha
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm designing my own entertainment cabinet for my man hole, to store all my systems, then I'm also designing a power supply/HDMI switcher so I can switch to whichever system I want, and power it also. Already picked up the cabinet board, but tinkering with my drawings before start
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I'm designing my own entertainment cabinet for my man hole, to store all my systems, then I'm...