Homebrew Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Okay, @aliaspider got back to me on IRC about DSP on the CIA builds. He says the next build will allow for us to extract the needed firmware from a game or app's code.bin, and we just put this code.bin in /3ds on the SD card.

Here's how to get it:
1. Run neobrain's braindump and pick something like Nintendo 3DS Sound. Alternatively, dump a retail game (.CIA or .3DS, it doesn't matter, as long as it's decrypted) and get its exefs.
2. Take the exefs.bin you dumped, and put it on your computer somewhere.
3. Use ctrtool to extract the exefs:
Code:
ctrtool -p -t exefs --exefsdir=exefs --decompresscode exefs.bin

4. After that, grab the code.bin file from the exefs folder, and put it on /3ds on your SD card.
5. Run RetroArch, and it'll auto-extract the firmware.
6. Set the sound driver to DSP and restart RetroArch (not sure if it's necessary, but I did it to be safe).

Afterward, you can remove code.bin from /3ds, but do NOT delete dspfirm.cdc, as that is the DSP firmware Retroarch will use for the CIA builds.

Last edited by daxtsu,

RegularMoron

Trophies
XP
Country
France
gPSP core, 10/25 cia build, 9.0 N3DS using Rxmode (Rxtools latest Lavanoid nightly)
game : Golden Sun The Lost Age
The gba bios is in the correct directory AFAIK (SD:retroarch/cores/system/)

It seems to run full speed at first, but then it freezes/crashes at your first input (ie when I press the A button) and exits the emulator. Then a message tells you that there is an error and that the 3DS will now reboot.

Is this a known problem?
After more tests it seems that the emulator freezes & crashes anyway a few seconds later, even if I do not input anything.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Last edited by duwen,

SeongGino

The Average One
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
FBA Neo Geo core seems broken on latest nightly. It was fine before 10-27 or 10-26 iirc with these same ROMs.
Then it shows an fps counter at like 2fps and hangs.

As far as I'm concerned, it's a DSP issue. Leave it off...
It works fine using default CTR, but not DSP.

Reactions: kiwiis

RegularMoron

Trophies
XP
Country
France
C:\Windows\System32\

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Just kidding, the retroarch folder
Thx. Although I kinda expected it to be more specific, like a file in a subfolder of retroarch. Guess I was wrong.
Oh, and its a good thing you edited cause I was ready to destroy your pityful little city with my lazor. :D

Last edited by RegularMoron,

kiwiis

キウィイス
Trophies
XP
Country
As far as I'm concerned, it's a DSP issue. Leave it off...
It works fine using default CTR, but not DSP.

I thought that might have something to do with it, but hadn't yet been able to test it. Oddly though, DSP runs fine in at least nxengine, gpsp and genesis plus gx..

RegularMoron

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thx. Although I kinda expected it to be more specific, like a file in a subfolder of retroarch. Guess I was wrong.
Oh, and its a good thing you edited cause I was ready to destroy your pityful little city with my lazor. :D
No luck with deleting Retroarch folder/relaunching/exiting/relaunching with the bios replaced.
Guess I'm going to download and try previous cia builds. I'm possibly in for a very long quest...

NightsOwl

Pays For Avatar Art (For some reason)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone help me with the NXEngine? I can't figure out how to load Cave Story or even anything. Googling and searching didn't help.

I have Cave Story as a Zip right now, because I assumed the Emulator didn't read .exes. Any help would be neat, and sorry if this is a common question.

SeongGino

The Average One
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Can someone help me with the NXEngine? I can't figure out how to load Cave Story or even anything. Googling and searching didn't help.

I have Cave Story as a Zip right now, because I assumed the Emulator didn't read .exes. Any help would be neat, and sorry if this is a common question.

Unzip it to a directory and run the EXE in NXEngine. It'll load and run fine.

Reactions: NightsOwl

andremario81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do I get the 4096 frames error when I try to run the neo geo emulator. I got the bios neogeo.zip located by the roms but what am I missing? I'm on iron hax 2.5 iron fall 1.1 on a n3ds 10.2

the_muteKi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So does the Neo Geo bios file not need to be in the folder containing the FBA Neo Geo 3dsx, as long as it's in the same folder as the roms themselves?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Wlak like a Wlaker