Retroarch is now on Retail Mode (Xbox Series S/X)

misticknight1

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't know. probably, but you're still limited with usb ports. I put games I'm going to play on the m2, just for added ssd speed even though I know that it won't be able to use the speed of the m2, it will likely be faster as an ssd though. I just used two hdds I had for other things, and you must use a different hdd or flash drive for retroarch and xbox games. I don't think there's currently any way to access an xbox formatted drive, but you can freely ftp and whatnot to a media drive or even hook it up to a computer as ntfs, and it won't do any harm. it will be able to read it.
Thank you bro got ya. I’ll stick with my thumb drive for now then it’s doing the job so far.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you bro got ya. I’ll stick with my thumb drive for now then it’s doing the job so far.
it's probably comparable between the two, especially with a lot of smaller files/roms. I don't know if it will have issues with gamecube, wii, or ps2. you'd have to test them.

misticknight1

Trophies
XP
Country
it's probably comparable between the two, especially with a lot of smaller files/roms. I don't know if it will have issues with gamecube, wii, or ps2. you'd have to test them.
They’re running fine to me so far been plying Metroid Prime and twilight Princess again. Sometimes it’s a bit choppy not sure if it’s the thumbdrive slowing it down. Didn’t want to set up a new HDD for no reason (I would have if it fixed the choppy ness 100%)

whmzsu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I recently found that the fbneo core can't load the rom on the external usb disk, same behavior as the flycast core .

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah flash drives are slow.
No they aren't actually, when it comes to reading roms... I still wouldn't recommend a flash drive due to the finite read/write, but larger files will stutter when loading via a mechanical hdd compared to a flash drive, and depending on what format they're in, they might not even run at all: I couldn't even load half the rvz gamecube files I had when setting it up on my brothers Xbox using a mechanical (also lots of stutter ingame on ppsspp for example), yet as soon as I switched to a flash drive on the same system for him, no problems...
OP: stick with your flash drive if you don't fancy ftp and are playing anything from, ooh, Dreamcast upwards: the only upgrade I'd recommend is an external ssd (like I've got ...but they're expensive I know...)

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it works today in retail mode?
yes, but the apps get taken down like within 24 hours. if you go on discord, it will tell you if the apps are available at that time.
Post automatically merged:

alright, they're down right now. you'll have to wait possibly a few days.

naxil

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
yes, but the apps get taken down like within 24 hours. if you go on discord, it will tell you if the apps are available at that time.
with the development mode what change? i know i can add apps in devmode... I want buy a serie s from GameSpot next month

Donnie-Burger

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
No they aren't actually, when it comes to reading roms... I still wouldn't recommend a flash drive due to the finite read/write, but larger files will stutter when loading via a mechanical hdd compared to a flash drive, and depending on what format they're in, they might not even run at all: I couldn't even load half the rvz gamecube files I had when setting it up on my brothers Xbox using a mechanical (also lots of stutter ingame on ppsspp for example), yet as soon as I switched to a flash drive on the same system for him, no problems...
OP: stick with your flash drive if you don't fancy ftp and are playing anything from, ooh, Dreamcast upwards: the only upgrade I'd recommend is an external ssd (like I've got ...but they're expensive I know...)
Large files load instantly off my usb hard drive and slow off a flash drive. Your issue sounds like a hardware failure or slow hd. I mod n repair everyday all kinds of systems and this is the same across the board. Hard drive is always better and faster. SSD is fastest of course even on old systems regardless if you get full bandwith. Shame on sandisk with the fake MBS speeds on their sd cards and flash drives.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Large files load instantly off my usb hard drive and slow off a flash drive. Your issue sounds like a hardware failure or slow hd. I mod n repair everyday all kinds of systems and this is the same across the board. Hard drive is always better and faster. SSD is fastest of course even on old systems regardless if you get full bandwith. Shame on sandisk with the fake MBS speeds on their sd cards and flash drives.
Edit: While the weather was shite today I nipped round and did a few tests on my kid bro's setup, indeed you are right, the issue was a slower (despite being 2.5" - understand I was pretty pushed for time setting it up for him!), older hdd he provided - only 250GB too.... as I had a spare 256GB flashdrive I simply gave him that. Now, like an eejit, I've told him I'll fill up a spare 500GB hdd I've got for him - more work haha!
So yeah, original poster - bit of misinformation there from me! :lol: Though (depending on the flash drive) I wouldnt say the speed difference is that dramatic. But for GB per buck, and if you need extra space, well a hdd is worth it there!

EDIT2: After more testing, you're MOSTLY right... Retroarch (which is the topic on hand here) yes I see no problems ....PPSSPP standalone however (can't confirm if on the RA core, I don't use it) cso format games pause for a split second when loading data in-game - better on my 7200rpm hdd than on whatever the fukk speed drive my kid bro gave me, but there nontheless, and simply not there on either a flash drive or my external ssd.

Last edited by mightymuffy,
Reactions: misticknight1

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi at all,

I just got a series S and want to use retroarch with my retro-USB drive. where to get the app? it seems to be not in store and down on gamr13. is there any mirror?

or should I buy a dev license? can I simply use a dev license from another country (bought via VPN)?

best wishes!

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi at all,

I just got a series S and want to use retroarch with my retro-USB drive. where to get the app? it seems to be not in store and down on gamr13. is there any mirror?

or should I buy a dev license? can I simply use a dev license from another country (bought via VPN)?

best wishes!
according to the discord, all apps are up. you probably have to use discord to get the links.

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Depends on the drive. I grabbed a Samsung USB 3.1 drive (256gb for about $70), GameCube and PS2 games run fine off it.

I have no problems and it's just as fast as an SSD connected to the USB port...
I generally use a SanDisk Cruzer Glide to store all of my Wii games.

Donnie-Burger

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Depends on the drive. I grabbed a Samsung USB 3.1 drive (256gb for about $70), GameCube and PS2 games run fine off it.

I have no problems and it's just as fast as an SSD connected to the USB port...
Please stop - Flash drives are slow and if you benchmark your 3.1 on pc you will see nothing close to ssd performance. What do I know though only done a few thousand.

Flash drives work
SSD are fastest

Happy Holidays!

Last edited by Donnie-Burger,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    cearp @ cearp: What stuff were you burning? I used to burn tons of dvds (data files) many years ago, but...