Homebrew RetroArch Switch

eldavo2090

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Probably not, that would be way too much busywork to keep updated for minimal gain. If somebody else feels that is worthwhile, they have to do it themselves. We have our hands full as is.
It's fine as it is, Horizon OS menu system doesn't lend itself for too many icons tbh, having everything on a single forwarder is nice!

Albytrozz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Am I the only one that can only get Nintendo ROMs to load?? The scan found NES, SNES, GB, VB, etc but it doesn't scan any other kind of rom, like any of the Sega ones. When I try 'Load Core' and then 'Load Content' it doesn't give me the option to run it with a Sega core, just gives me 2 MAME options.

Am I doing something wrong? I literally have every core downloaded and updated.

Last edited by Albytrozz,
D

Deleted User

Not sure if you know that NES has 2 {Metal Gear / Snake's Revenge} of them that you can play on FCEUMM. I don't know anything about them, just stumbled upon them before.
Unfortunately the NES games are pretty different from the MSX versions, but they're still fun in their own right! Even if Snake's Revenge is a bit of a sham compared to MG2. :glare:

Cheers for that, though

Reactions: DollyWhipDoll

grabman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that vile stench...

hoping someone can help me out. So I want to play the translated rondo of blood for pce cd but when I patch it the iso does not boot. The default one gives me alot of wav files and 3 iso files and a cue. I tried turning all that to a cue and bin and a cue and iso and a chd but they all won't run. Any ideas?

Last edited by grabman,

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This thread is an amazing example of people not reading, posting amazing adventure stories of what they done, but didnt work, and trying to get personalized help services out of people.

No - I'm not posting the same answer twice a day, because you couldnt be bothered to read the two last pages of a thread.

People also seem to get encouraged, once they see - that some questions get answered. Then it becomes a free for all - and anything goes again.

Retroarch "rtfm" how do I ... questions - sure.
Questions on how to use a payload and CFW - sure.
I did nothing and now it doesnt turn on - sure.
Half baked error reports, where you'd have to guess half of the problem description - of course.

And even though I shouldnt repeat the helpful information already posted today - someone wanted a personalized handholding - so here we go again?

For PSX to run on retroarch somewhat optimally at all:

Threaded video and
switch-threaded Audio driver

have to be enabled.

Vsync off helps with latency and also gives a small performance increase. Frame duping usually also gives a small performance increase. Increased audio latency might help to get audio in sync, but thats a compromise.

Also switching from gl as the video driver to switch as the video driver might work better for some PSX games (attention, you also have to set the Menu driver to rgui, otherwise retroarch wont boot until you delete the .cfg). Also, those changes only go into effect, after a restart of retroarch. And am I confident that most people will take that hurdle successfully? Not at all.

They will put up three more "what is best?" polls, before they try any problem solving. (How do you think I found those things out?) May I have read up on what retroarchs options actually do? Amazing! Might I have looked into the .cfg that m4xw packaged with the old RetroNX releases and named psx config (or similar?). Astonishing.

May I have posted "what is best?" questions in a public webforum and then waited until someone else did the work for me? NEVER would even have even thought of doing that.

If you speak german by any chance - watch this: https://media.ccc.de/v/fiffkon18-5-digitale_entmundigung -- Guy gets many aspects right. (We live in a "can you do the thinking for me" online economy - for starters...)

Annnnd...this is what I was saying in aside to an earlier post quite a few pages ago, albeit somewhat nicely. Simple fact of the matter is, while it's impressive the kind of progress Homebrew is making right now, there WILL be problems that are going to involve connecting your Switch to a phone with OTG support/ordering an adapter off of Amazon, using TegraRCMGUI with hekate, and everything else that is easy to look up on Google. The answers are here and on other websites, or even on many a Youtube video that may/may not cover every configuration, may not have the best production quality (not that it needs to be some computer showcase like with HardwareCanucks) , or may have someone who should have someone else with a better voice read a script into a microphone that's not whatever was included with whatever laptop their parents only paid a few hundred dollars for at best.

Here's the blunt truth: Homebrew, especially on anything that isn't a high-end Windows desktop PC (don't waste your money on laptops unless you're Barron Trump) like mine requires tinkering and experimenting with what works and what doesn't. As opposed to waiting for others to possibly respond or not, or possibly not understand what it is you're asking, wouldn't it be faster to just look up the solution to whatever your problem is on Google and, if you can't find anything, there's GBATemp, Reddit, other websites full of communities that are willing to help as long as you try to at least figure things out for yourself. Hell, in one of my first postings here when I finally got around to modding a secondary Switch of mine (you want to avoid bans for sure? this is what you do as opposed to gambling), after a long night of trying to get myself up to speed on what ReiNX is, Atmosphere's progress, hekate, the whole scene in general, I made a post asking about a problem that, if I wasn't so tired, I probably would have picked up on the problem immediately and figured out why I was getting no response, especially after panicking about a black screen that made me think I bricked my Switch! I made a response post basically facepalming at how I overlooked such a basic error on my part (had to do with file extensions).

tl;dr - Don't be afraid to ask questions, but also realize that the people working on everything here have probably answered your question before unless it's something to do with something recent or obscure (like trying to use an original Atari controller as a controller for Lakka or some shit like that!), and that, to get to that N64 emulation (which is neat, but I want to play MVC2 on the go without going into debt for a GPD WIN 2!) that many want to be practical one day, the devs and their teams work on code that, for all I know, is done in their free time for no financial return (or Patreon, not that everyone's embraced that method of monetization as I could imagine).

grabman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have been modding my switch since the secret flog game and i must tell you it's been such a fun adventure and i have loved every second. I turn heads almost daily now and people approach me nearly daily asking about this game or that game I play in portable mode on break or out and about. It's really something. Even in it's infancy I think this scene is incredible.

ElConsolero

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I used Retroarch on many different systems like PS3, X360, Wii, Android devices but on NSW I have some issues: I cant find and load any rom which are stored on my sdcard.

I tried to load a core in first place but no files listed in my rom folder. I tried to use "load content" but no files listed in my rom folder. I also tried to scan folder but did not worked...

Should the rom-folder be on a specific path? does retroarch on switch support .zip files?

Any hints highly appreciated.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks! Is that NSP a forwarder?
No, judging from the file size it's a "full" nsp rather than a forwarder.

I used Retroarch on many different systems like PS3, X360, Wii, Android devices but on NSW I have some issues: I cant find and load any rom which are stored on my sdcard.

I tried to load a core in first place but no files listed in my rom folder. I tried to use "load content" but no files listed in my rom folder. I also tried to scan folder but did not worked...

Should the rom-folder be on a specific path? does retroarch on switch support .zip files?

Any hints highly appreciated.
You should be able to use any path, and you can use zip files. Did you copy the files onto the card with a Mac?

Reactions: ElConsolero

ElConsolero

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You should be able to use any path, and you can use zip files. Did you copy the files onto the card with a Mac?

I use Win 10 and folders and files are listed correctly when I use the sd-card in my computer.

Looks like the NSW has issues to read files correctly. When I connect via FTP, only my "vbanext" folder is listed as folder. My other folder dont get listed as folder.

I guess, I found the issue. The specific folder had an "archive" attribute. I change it right now and test it on NSW!

Thnxs for your help!

UPDATE: it works!

20181005_104943.png

Last edited by ElConsolero,
Reactions: hippy dave

zerohealinzz

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
when booting up the nsp i get a black screen with red text on the left top corner (not readable since its a bit above the edge of the screen) and bottom left i get the text about my controller port.

Ive re transferred all files i needed + asset folder but it still happens.

I use a 8 gb fat 32 microsd. am i missing something?

Edit: nvm after rereading everything again this step fixed it for me:

• If you are using a configuration from back when this was RetroNX delete your retroarch.cfg inside the /retroarch/ folder!

Last edited by zerohealinzz,

stoffer666

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Do any one of you know how to get pbp Roms to work with retroarc for the switch. I have everything else Working cue and bin files work good for the ps emulator but when i try to launch a pbp file i have made from a psx bin file the whole switch crashes. In a Black screen. And i need to reboot the switch. Sorry if this has been covered on a another tread but could not find anything on the web about it. Other than it should work.
I have the nsp version of retroarc and the switch firmware is on 5.1.

Last edited by stoffer666,

synce

だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん
Trophies
XP
Country
Comoros
The NSP version is useless if you can't FTP to your Switch, correct? I'm wondering how else you can install the necessary bios files

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
anyone have any information regarding "menu UI called Ozone"?
I downloaded the latest nightly but I cannot see it anywhere.

I am curious as to what it looks like and performs. Where I was reading about it the first time I thing it was on the libretro blog and there is said it was a driver, here it sais it's UI (GUI?).
Im a bit confused...

littleshaun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
First of all - thank you for this fantastic software as it lets me play my childhood games once more on the go :)

Is it at all possible to have an image appear before a core starts up to say show the control scheme etc. For example the ZX Spectrum core I play Head over Heels on requires a few keys to be assigned etc and it would be great to show a pic before the game starts so I can remember what they are a few weeks later.

Not a big deal just would be a nice addition for someone like me who struggles remembering all the different layouts I use :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: and the lightning is frequent, so my power will most likely go out