Homebrew RetroArch Switch

BananaRoad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, it says it should support zips, idk. Tho personally i only use zips with older systems like genesis/snes etc (if the core supports it). Its not recommended to use zipped files when launching roms with large file size. To compress gdi files, just simply convert them into chd, you'll save quite a lot of space and your roms will work perfectly.
Cool, I'll look at converting to chd to save some space later. So most work fine with some minor audio distortion on switch. One that crashes retroarch is my Marvel vs. Capcom 2 rom with the same bios/rom that works on the PC version of retroarch 1.10.3.

EDIT: Was a bad rom

Last edited by BananaRoad,

bad361

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Cool, I'll look at converting to chd to save some space later. So most work fine with some minor audio distortion on switch. One that crashes retroarch is my Marvel vs. Capcom 2 rom with the same bios/rom that works on the PC version of retroarch 1.10.3.

EDIT: Was a bad rom
if you have audio crackling issues , means the game is not running at fullspeed sometimes, use overclocking

p.s. Also, mvsc2 (and some other games with a lot of 2d sprites on screen) is notoriously known to have issues in HOS flycast due to some memory shenanigans (too many sprites on screen), though it runs perfectly in lakka/android. Most of the other dc library should run without problems in HOS.

Reactions: BananaRoad

BananaRoad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
if you have audio crackling issues , means the game is not running at fullspeed sometimes, use overclocking

p.s. Also, mvsc2 (and some other games with a lot of 2d sprites on screen) is notoriously known to have issues in HOS flycast due to some memory shenanigans (too many sprites on screen), though it runs perfectly in lakka/android. Most of the other dc library should run without problems in HOS.
It generally safe to overclock for too long? I was reading somewhere Lakka is better for DC performance if overclocking doesn't work well enough.

So my MvC2 wasn't a bad rom, I had the Naomi version of MvC2 and that is what is crashing on the Switch and not PC. Dreamcast version is running fine on both PC/Switch.

bad361

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
It generally safe to overclock for too long? I was reading somewhere Lakka is better for DC performance if overclocking doesn't work well enough.

So my MvC2 wasn't a bad rom, I had the Naomi version of MvC2 and that is what is crashing on the Switch and not PC. Dreamcast version is running fine on both PC/Switch.
Its fine to use overclocking, all allowed profiles within RA are safe. And usually DC doesn't need much, you'll be fine with 1.2-1.5 ghz for the majority of the library. Also, HOS flycast (both core and standalone) should be superior to lakka/android due to HOS specific optimizations, was discussing that with m4xw himself. Though some titles (very few) will perform better in lakka/android due to reasons i mentioned above.

Reactions: BananaRoad

BananaRoad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Overclocked max I only have issues with MvC2. Looking at the open tickets on libretro/flycast github there's an open ticket (#880) for performance issues on MvC2 because of the number of texture draws and nothing planned for improvements. That's a shame.

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting loading from the unzipped GDI files works, thanks. The docs say it supports zip files but I can only get the games to load from the gdi files even on the PC. I swear this used to work at one point on PC since I played all these before on my PC years ago before setting up the switch.
zero point to use Zip or even GDI when CHD compresses them vastly better

astoufu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Is there a way to improve audio on PSX emulation? I tried to change everything i saw on the menus, but the audio still crackles on the games, just a little bit.

I must say that games are running full speed, just their audio are not perfect, but are playable. Also, my games are on CHD, is that a problem?

bad361

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Is there a way to improve audio on PSX emulation? I tried to change everything i saw on the menus, but the audio still crackles on the games, just a little bit.

I must say that games are running full speed, just their audio are not perfect, but are playable. Also, my games are on CHD, is that a problem?
Never had such problems with ps1 emulation, even when using ReArmed...are you using overclocking? Anyway the best advice rn would be to ditch ReArmed core and use standalone duckstation for HOS, it outperforms ReArmed core on switch by a mile.

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

whats your audio latency set at? mainly 2 things can cause this. setting the audio latency too low or setting dynamic audio wrong

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Anyone else having the issue that "scan directory" doesn't do anything for a PSX folder containing CHD and PBP files?

Edit: Don't know why but I had to do a manual scan and added .chd and .pbp as extensions while putting the PSX core in as default for that playlist. That worked fine and afterwards, fetching thumbnails worked as well.

Last edited by lordelan,

nosbleed

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello, i'm new here and sorry if my english is bad. I want buy a modded switch to play Capcom vs snk 2 on dreamcast. Did you know if the game runs well ? Can i add scanlines on dreamcast emulation ? Merci :)

Gep_Etto

Being late since '88
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello, i'm new here and sorry if my english is bad. I want buy a modded switch to play Capcom vs snk 2 on dreamcast. Did you know if the game runs well ? Can i add scanlines on dreamcast emulation ? Merci :)
You can add scanlines on any RetroArch core using shaders. There are many different options. As for playing Capcom vs SNK2, the only Dreamcast game I've played on Switch is Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver and it runs well. So I think there's a good chance that your game will run well too.

Reactions: nosbleed

Instandhaltung

I feel it. I feel the cosmos!
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

The Jap. 2001 version runs fine with overclocking. The international versions had stutter if I recall correctly. But I'm not sure anymore. If you play at higher resolutions (the backgrounds look super cool in high res), keep in mind that most scanlines are resolution adaptive, they won't work well with high resolutions. This one you see on the second pic looks fine with higher resolutions, but the scanlines are veeeery small, but visible (screen 3) 😂

Attachments

• 16625941993424371980399584598215.jpg
    16625941993424371980399584598215.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 49
  • 16625943881031194241755762693207.jpg
    16625943881031194241755762693207.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 44
  • 16625944847834970962992784351619.jpg
    16625944847834970962992784351619.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 37
Reactions: tabzer and nosbleed

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Samsung-Galaxy-S22+,Google-Pixel-8a/phones/11762,12219...