'Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration' Coming to macOS

tomb raider.JPG

After like forever, macOS gamers (?) will finally be able to play as Lara Croft in the 2015 Rise of the Tomb Raider sequel to the series' reboot title, announced Feral Interactive today.

Players will become the young archaeologist Lara Croft as she seeks the lost city of Kitezh to recover the Divine Source, an ancient artifact with the power to grant immortality. When Lara’s quest puts her in the crosshairs of Trinity, a secretive global organisation, she must use all her wits and daring to reach the Divine Source first.

A new trailer was even released today for the announcement:

As well as AMD and NVIDIA graphics cards, Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration will support the following Intel integrated graphics cards: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 540, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 550, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 and Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650.

The game will be supported on all of the following Macs:​
  • All 13" MacBook Pros released since 2016​
  • All 15" MacBook Pros released since Late 2013 with a 2.3GHz processor or better​
  • All 21.5" iMacs released since Late 2017​
  • All 27" iMacs released since Late 2014 (models with an Nvidia GT 755M graphics card are not officially supported)*​
  • All Mac Pros released since Late 2013​
*Late 2012 models with a 2GB Nvidia 680MX graphics cards are also supported.

Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration bundles the base game with all DLC ever released for the game and will be coming to macOS on April 12th. The game is up for pre-order from the Feral Store and Steam.​

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Meh. I feel like people who own Macs and want to play games on them already do with, y'know, Bootcamp and Windows. I mean, Windows almost always runs games better than OS X on the same system because of better drivers/better DX support vs OpenGL/Vulkan by devs.

I feel like all those "LOL GAMING ON MAC LOL" people kind of forget (or just straight up ignore) that Bootcamp exists, and forget that despite their outrageously inflated price some Macs still have semi-decent specs with dedicated GPUs, and not just shitty integrated Intel iGPUs, that are totally "gaming-worthy".
The top-end iMac Pro only sports a VEGA 64 with no option to upgrade beyond that except for external GPU's which are automatically bottlenecked by narrower bandwidth. The 18-core Xeon they have on-board isn't going to help you in gaming, Macs are way behind the curve in terms of gaming. That being said, a VEGA 64 isn't that bad as long as you don't plan on gaming in 4K.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
The top-end iMac Pro only sports a VEGA 64 with no option to upgrade beyond that except for external GPU's which are automatically bottlenecked by narrower bandwidth. The 18-core Xeon they have on-board isn't going to help you in gaming, Macs are way behind the curve in terms of gaming. That being said, a VEGA 64 isn't that bad as long as you don't plan on gaming in 4K.
Gee, I wasn't aware the iMac Pro was the only thing Apple offers with a dGPU!

Oh, that's right, it isn't :rolleyes: There are Macbook Pros with various GT/GTX Nvidia dGPUs, their latest Macbook Pros offer Radeon Pro GPUs, you can get a regular ol' iMacs with various AMD Rxyz GPUs as well if you wanted to. You don't have to go and spend $5000 on an iMac Pro to get decent-ish hardware.

I'm not saying you should buy a Macbook for gaming, or that's what other people totally do on purpose, just that anyone who goes around telling everyone that Macs simply aren't allowed to be gamed on is ignorant and silly. Sure, they're not dedicated gaming machines and they're laughably overpriced, but you can't sit there and say "PFFFT MACS? GAMES? NO WAY!" cuz you'd be wrong.

D

Deleted User

A mac is just a gimped PC with a different OS. Not sure why anyone bothers with them anymore tbh.
Yes once upon a time they were good, nowadays people only use them as a status symbol because they're expensive so it gives them a false sense of pride or something :grog:

Spoon feeding the mac an odd game or two keeps them happy I guess B-)
Yes I use my Mac in my room that no one ever sees as a Statius symbol LOL

stuff like this just makes me laugh

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

the real question remains..... can a mac emulate n64?!
is that a serious question? maybe you should know little bit about what your talking about before talking?

Last edited by ,

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the exact opposite experience. I have 3 computers: One running Windows 10, one running Mint Linux, and a Mac. Getting stuff running well is always easiest on the Mac.

There are over 7000 games on Steam alone that support Macs. That's quite a substantial amount.

I don't want to get into this argument as it will go nowhere. But I'm just tired of the people that feel the need to comment "hur who plays on Mac" every time there is a bit of news.

Exactly. No argument as it will go nowhere. Dont want to waste my time. :)

D

Deleted User

Meh. I feel like people who own Macs and want to play games on them already do with, y'know, Bootcamp and Windows. I mean, Windows almost always runs games better than OS X on the same system because of better drivers/better DX support vs OpenGL/Vulkan by devs.

I feel like all those "LOL GAMING ON MAC LOL" people kind of forget (or just straight up ignore) that Bootcamp exists, and forget that despite their outrageously inflated price some Macs still have semi-decent specs with dedicated GPUs, and not just shitty integrated Intel iGPUs, that are totally "gaming-worthy".
It's cool to hate Apple. Yo
You say far behind as if they care about gaming at all. The EGPU system indirectly helps Mac gaming but wasn't meant for it obviously. Anyone who is doing any kind of intensive gaming on a Mac is using Windows.

xtrem3x

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes I use my Mac in my room that no one ever sees as a Statius symbol LOL

stuff like this just makes me laugh

Coming on here and waving your hands about claiming you own a mac and how good it is proves my point that people use it as a status symbol :rofl2:

Reactions: x65943

Fusion

On/Off GBA-Temp'er
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
i have a modified windows 10, so watcha gonna do.

What is this modified Windows 10 you speak of? Is it a tiny/small W10 installation iso with fewer processors eating cycles to run faster? If so can it still updated to latest W10 updates and still run smooth/fast with few processors eating up the cycles.

Care to explain more and perhaps share with a dl (gdrive/mega) privately?

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is this modified Windows 10 you speak of? Is it a tiny/small W10 installation iso with fewer processors eating cycles to run faster? If so can it still updated to latest W10 updates and still run smooth/fast with few processors eating up the cycles.

It's against site rules to ask for warez even via pm. Sorry, but it is to keep the sue happy lawyers at Bay.

Fusion

On/Off GBA-Temp'er
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
It's aginst rules but happens all the time still, even more so now that the question is out in the open you can still help away from this site.

Also it doesn't stop you from answering the rest of the question in my post lol

Reactions: hobbledehoy899

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Not quite as extensive as a tiny/small, just removed cortana and all the tiled crap (and drive, and etc., and etc.,). Really, I just use the free NTLite, which is the quicker, lazier way of doing things.

Updates are hit or miss, but I tend to install a fresh copy of windows every 6 months or so anyway. Keeps me invested in what's happening with such things. Smooth/fast can be a bit of trial and error with features removed, but usually just keep what you need for your purposes and disable the rest. It's a good way to learn what parts of the OS are responsible/related for what.

Reactions: Fusion

Fusion

On/Off GBA-Temp'er
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
Not quite as extensive as a tiny/small, just removed cortana and all the tiled crap (and drive, and etc., and etc.,). Really, I just use the free NTLite, which is the quicker, lazier way of doing things.

Updates are hit or miss, but I tend to install a fresh copy of windows every 6 months or so anyway. Keeps me invested in what's happening with such things. Smooth/fast can be a bit of trial and error with features removed, but usually just keep what you need for your purposes and disable the rest. It's a good way to learn what parts of the OS are responsible/related for what.

Thank you, very helpful info explaining and giving a brief description at that. 10/10 ign.
Seriously though, I'm glad you didn't just jump on the bandwagon of illegal=no no when modifications to me is someone elses work/time/effort now when this day and age especially everyone 'borrows' other works and improves on them and then it's as if they built the idea from scratch and the original creator gets forgotten about. Or the idea of vechiels if it was only one person's idea we would only have one type of car etc.

Anyway I'm ranting way of topic here but thanks for not seeing things so straight black and white, since there is all types of shades available in a situation.

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you, very helpful info explaining and giving a brief description at that. 10/10 ign.
Seriously though, I'm glad you didn't just jump on the bandwagon of illegal=no no when modifications to me is someone elses work/time/effort now when this day and age especially everyone 'borrows' other works and improves on them and then it's as if they built the idea from scratch and the original creator gets forgotten about. Or the idea of vechiels if it was only one person's idea we would only have one type of car etc.

Anyway I'm ranting way of topic here but thanks for not seeing things so straight black and white, since there is all types of shades available in a situation.
I realize that in the spirit of sharing work it would be nice to spread warez. But there are ways to do it without openly asking in a thread.

I'm just saying it's a nice gesture to the mod team and site owner to follow the rules. It's a sign of respect.

I'm sorry if I offended you, but I still think it's the right thing to do to try to respect the wishes of the people who make this site available to us.

You've been here since 2002, 12 years before me, and I am happy you are here. It shows you have commitment to this place. Wouldn't you be upset if the site got a DMCA?

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
While I would never use a Mac, there has to be a fair amount of people who are gamers and may have a gaming desktop but opted for a Macbook for whatever reason. The more games released, the better. Hopefully this implies a Linux release further down the line.

Fusion

On/Off GBA-Temp'er
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
I'm not loyal to a site, i am tho of open work which is why open source is such a good way of thinking and why most company's stay away from it alot as they like to capitalize.

Good for you on what you do but you need to open your eye's to what happens behind closed doors even on this site and still does if you pay attention to comments/threads.
Also you do know the roots of this site was piracy with direct links then off-site to listing only, to now as hacking/gaming information site.

Trust me you didn't hurt my feelings but don't be smart either thinking your good with your comments, in real I'll take you somewhere, make you disappear. Believe that. Know that words have a meaning behind them and watch what you say and to who.
End.

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not loyal to a site, i am tho of open work which is why open source is such a good way of thinking and why most company's stay away from it alot as they like to capitalize.

Good for you on what you do but you need to open your eye's to what happens behind closed doors even on this site and still does if you pay attention to comments/threads.
Also you do know the roots of this site was piracy with direct links then off-site to listing only, to now as hacking/gaming information site.

Trust me you didn't hurt my feelings but don't be smart either thinking your good with your comments, in real I'll take you somewhere, make you disappear. Believe that. Know that words have a meaning behind them and watch what you say and to who.
End.
Did you just threaten my life?

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country
I own both a mac and a PC.

I find I regret buying my macbook on a monthly basis due to its lack of versatility and ability to play games on the go.

However to its advantage, its just a really pleasant OS to use. I use it for video editting and photos and leave the gaming etc. to PC.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: That sick boy yo