Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gallery_177066_262_31367.jpg

A sequel to Wii exclusive Epic Mickey may be released next year, if a leaked Disney newsletter is any indication.

An apparently leaked newsletter from Disney by StitchKingdom.com seems to show that Epic Mickey will be coming in Fall 2012. Surprisingly, the sequel may also be set for a multiplatform release, as well as include co-op. A transcript of the supposed newsletter can be seen below:

"Disney Epic Mickey 2 is the latest game in the critically acclaimed Disney Epic Mickey videogame series. In this all-new action-platforming game available for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and Wii, Mickey embarks on an epic journey and is pulled back into a world filled with Disney’s forgotten characters. Players can choose to play single-player as Mickey or for the first time players can also choose 2-player split screen mode. In the 2 player mode one person can play as Mickey wielding magic paint and paint thinner to dynamically change the world and the second player can play as Oswald the Lucky Rabbit – Walt Disney’s first cartoon star – with the power to fly like a helicopter and use electricity to fight or friend enemies and solve challenges. Team-up and choose your path to save this forgotten world because the choices you make will alter the story and change the end of the game!"

Additionally, this leak follows a survey a few months ago asking users to pick their favorite boxart, all of them depicting "Epic Mickey 2".

The original Epic Mickey was released in 2010 as a Wii exclusive by Junction Point Studios, headed by famed Deus Ex and System Shock designer Warren Spector. It featured a darker atmosphere than most Disney affairs and followed a classical Mickey Mouse using a magical paint brush to either repair or destroy the environment or his enemies. It was released to good (but not great) reviews, fetching a 73 average on Metacritic.

What do you think? Will Epic Mickey return next year? How will going multiplatform and adding co-op change it?

:arrow: Source

impizkit

Lazy Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
This is amazing news. More Epic Mickey on PS3. Sign me up.

Edit: Why change the image, Guild? That concept art was sweet! Here it is by the way:
epic-mickey2.jpg

Possible boxart options:
Epic-Mickey-2-Copy_thumb.jpg

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
it's not really co-op it's just 2 player split screen which has been around for decades now, a feature that has been missing a lot from recent games today, but it's a nice touch, i would be interested in playing it, hopefully the ps3 version has ps move support.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edit: Why change the image, Guild? That concept art was sweet! Here it is by the way:

The image was too large and I didn't want to bother resizing it.

Fixing the camera and adding voices would be nice.

Because I definitely want to here Mickey Mouse's voice drone on for hours on end. Playing Kingdom Hearts already puts me on a suicide watch list with Donald Duck's horrific nails-on-chalkboard voice, last thing I need is Mickey AND Donald having their voices constantly blabbering.

Never saw what was so terrible about the camera. It certainly wasn't perfect but definitely not game breaking. The game overall was rather awesome though, great environment, great use of license, and the platforming was kinda old timey and felt like a good ol' 90's platformer, something kinda lost today with our Super Mario Galaxies and stuff (which are good but it's nice to have a trip down memory lane now and then, especially when it's this good).

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually really liked the first game myself. It wasn't GOTY material, far from it. But it was a fun platformer with some neat motion control mechanics, and it gives me a huge nostalgia rush. Little touches everywhere that made the game a charmer to play. I loved the paint and thin mechanic, very clever and fun to use. Worked very well with the Wiimote controls. Sort of like how Mario Sunshine might have controlled had it been on Wii.

At worst it felt a little unpolished. I think the game had a great visuals style, but actually ended up looking and sounding like an earlier sort of 3D game from the early PS2 or even Dreamcast era. Textures and environments were kind of dull and blurry, could have used more detail. Nothing that would have even pushed the Wii. I'd have liked voices too. At least an option for people who do enjoy the Disney voices, and the option to turn them off for people who don't would satisfy everyone.

Camera never bugged me much, you just have to know how it works in controlling it. It's a hands on affair. Double tapping the dpad makes it swing far faster (good tip), and there's your general "center camera behind character instantly" button. I've seen worse cameras in games that still haven't broken the experience for me (Mario Sunshine for example).

So i'd be very excited if this happens. Just some spit and polish would have really improved the first game. Hopefully they've fine tuned the gameplay for the sequel. Wouldn't mind a 3DS port either, assuming motion controls weren't a necessity.

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I thought the first one was amazing as well. For me it was nearly a perfect blend of plattforming, exploration and puzzles. Very well made over all so I can`t wait for this.

Personally the only thing I would want them to change is the camera as many stated... I think something similar to TRA on Wii or having the camera move faster while using the d-pad would be great. As it was in the game it was just too slow imo.

I still have to see what they`ll do with it on PS3, since I cannot imagine playing it with an analog-stick, since the Wiimote-controls were so awesome. But I´ll definitely play it, be it on Wii or PS3!

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess the exact same "leak" from August was right.

Either way, meh. The first game wasn't that great, one of those meh+ games. I hope the devs have noticed that there have been some good advancments to 3D platformers since 1997. I'm all for retro stuff but when they include the same flaws that could be easily fixed then that just puts me off.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
WHAT was wrong with the camera never bothered me? the thing i didnt like about EM was the quests were boring and all you got was a fuck all badge which you couldn't even view again after getting it! how about opening a new level (rarely did that), or a mini game or anything for fuck sake not a stupid shitty badge!

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
never got the chance to play the first .. ill emulate it some day now that i have a respectable PC

I'll definitely look into this one if it actually goes multiplatform

Anyone remember the really old Micky game - i really can't remember the name, but it was one of my most favorite retro games

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Magic Quest; that was the one.

I remember playing that game, good times, good times.
Funny detail is that in the level Mickey Junk Mountain (which incidentally, is supposed to be based on Matterhorn at Disneyland) has some old NES and SNES cartridges scattered around the junkyard. The SNES ones are the Magical Quest lol! Nice cameo there. That world is full of vintage Disney toys and stuff.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never had the chance to play this, and despite all the complaints I've heard (mostly about the camera), it looked pretty interesting. I'd love to see where they could take this franchise with a few refinements here and there.

Now if only it could be brought to other consoles...

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not surprised with the Multi-system sequal. The XB360 and PS3 version of the first were cancelled to maximize the development for the Wii.

I bet they spent the time since the original's completion to finish the game's engine for the PS3 and XB360. I expect a release of the original at some point too for the two systems.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :unsure::unsure::unsure: in that case.. Both +1