OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm not posting this in the news as I'm not sure its true or not, but it seems believable.
QUOTE said:
Now you ask what it is exactly? Microsoft will introduce the so-called XGD3 disc formats from around late April / early May.
Currently, the XGD2 (Xbox Game Disc 2) formats in use.
The disc image will always have a fixed size of about 6.8GB net and as such are limited to this maximum limit.
The format offers something XGD3 about 1GB more memory (also net) and reached thus roughly 7.8GB.
This 1GB available to developers of course. However, this new hash checks and anti-piracy measures are used.
This XGD3 disc image (if one can read in the conventional way),
cannot be burned to a commercially available double-layer discs, because they are outside the size capacity.
During pressing of the discs in the press shop are virtually forced validation data to the extreme edges of the disc,
which on the one hand, the verification, on the other hand, as an anti-copying system,
since these sectors are not to describe blanks, not to mention the fact that Brenner these do Außnahmesituationen can only describe.

Microsoft reached so many years, an almost sure way to stem the Kopierbarkein.
This is especially which are now contained to a plague which has become piracy.
Only JTAG owners need not imply any idea of what to do next. Text of flying short shrug their shoulders and jump to the next topic.

For everyone else this means, however, that in future, first no more games can be copied.
(Personally, I welcome this step, the longest was necessary in some form!).

The introduction is so well established, however, also certain that we can expect from almost all programs,
the new version that can deal from now on with the XGD3. On the hardware side the way,
no interference is expected. XGD3 discs will work with all previously released (and future) models of the Xbox 360.
DVD+R-DLs can hold 8.5GB, so shouldn't we still be able to burn games? I guess if not JTAG is the only way to play new 360 games
frown.gif

EDIT: Source is from a warez site.

Crass

Rock me Dr. Zaius
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
The larger game partition makes sense, but this post reeks of FUD regarding the discs being uncopyable. We'll have to wait and see what this all really means.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
This XGD3 disc image (if one can read in the conventional way),
cannot be burned to a commercially available double-layer discs, because they are outside the size capacity.
Dreamcast says hi.
tongue.gif

They used the system itself to read the disc, and then simply "ripped" when burning copies. It's unlikely every game will use the full capacity so padding will be removed if it's used, and for some DC games videos were removed or video/audio resampled (Rush 2049's audio was crappy, I have to admit), but for some games like Skies Of Arcadia the hackers got awesome and actually included custom compression routines to make the content fit (though battles loaded slower as the content had to be decompressed).

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
meh - its not as if i use my 360 so much - last game that i pirated and played (till the end) was dead space 2

im moving more pro-legit-ps3 these day

and when this 360 will inevitably die - 2008 model - ill go buy a slim and go legit on the 360 as well - and enjoy the last couple of years from Microsoft

as per topic: if this truly does eliminate piracy on the 360 - nonjtag so it seems - then i guess its about time ey microsoft ?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
An interesting development. At first I thought it might just be a respin of http://xorloser.com/?p=9 (a very old post- about this time in 2009 vintage), I am not calling it yet but it looks like it might be new and with MS switching up with AP2.5 as well as what has come out of the slim hacking camp (proper checks at firmware level leading to a rootkit type method needing to be employed) not to mention there being no banwave in a while (none last year).

re:Rydian's post sadly the 360 uses encryption and checks although I guess that leaked halo ODST worked and there were my single layer tests a while back (got quite far with it). Might be a good time to dust off the old single layer tests though and maybe something similar to the way the 360 hacked firmwares work but on a larger scale (full file system emulation rather than security sectors and the other stuff).

Interesting times.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If it does turn out to be the case it might also be enough to kickstart the 360 drive replacement the WODE people spoke of (think WODE but for the 360) which is a far more exciting prospect.

Also possibility- see that some drives do not support AP2.5 and that we normally use 360 drives to create 360 isos (the thinking being DVD formats at some level are not abstracted beyond the 360 drive itself). It might then be that some drives can not do a new format- no go (updates unlikely if not impossible and a recall at best an expensive PR disaster unlikely to be offset by any "gains"). This is pure speculation based on what appears to be pure speculation though- something the 360 scene already has ample supplies of so I stop adding to it now.

edit missed http://gbatemp.net/t286114-xbox-360-gettin...t&p=3555822 , pretty much explains it all.

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This does seem believable. They are having a beta dashboard sign-up test to test new disc format. I guess we may not be able to go online if things are complicated.

DaRk_ViVi

Sending you back... to the future!
Trophies
Website
www.darkvivi.it
XP
Country
Italy
This is probably real, but if a console can read them, we will have one day the rips (Dreamcast docet).
For sure they will be working on JTAG xboxes and I don't think it will be long enough before a FW for the drives to read these games off normal DVD DL (maybe slighty ripped to fit on them).

However this will be probably the end of the Xbox Live for pirates, insta-ban will be out even for CFW.
wink.gif

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Glad that I have a Jtag. All hackers need to do in this case is find a way to rip the files out and store them in a folder. No padding, no MS BS.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
hundshamer said:
Glad that I have a Jtag. All hackers need to do in this case is find a way to rip the files out and store them in a folder. No padding, no MS BS.

Cool. Sooner that happens, the sooner all modded consoles can be detected and banned, and all will be well.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Fudge said:
pristinemog said:
April Fool's joke.
Doubt it. Microsoft wouldn't put up a preview program if it was a joke.
I think he meant the BS post is a joke...

If you read it, the wording gets more and more horrible as you go on, devolving to Gerngrish (the rare German English troll) like the person writing it up got was getting tired of writing in a non-native language.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"Sooner that happens, the sooner all modded consoles can be detected and banned, and all will be well."

How so? it is not like DVD modded consoles can do anything stock consoles can not and JTAG machines have not been online (at least in the XBL sense) in quite a while now.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
FAST6191 said:
"Sooner that happens, the sooner all modded consoles can be detected and banned, and all will be well."

How so? it is not like DVD modded consoles can do anything stock consoles can not and JTAG machines have not been online (at least in the XBL sense) in quite a while now.

It's just my opinion that if you pirate your games, you have no right to play those games online. And if JTAG machines haven't been online "for quite a while now" how would you explain hacked MW2 lobbies? I have a feeling it won't stop there either.

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
Trophies
XP
Country
TwinRetro said:
FAST6191 said:

It's just my opinion that if you pirate your games, you have no right to play those games online. And if JTAG machines haven't been online "for quite a while now" how would you explain hacked MW2 lobbies? I have a feeling it won't stop there either.
IIRC, JTAG machines can stay online for about 4 hours before they get detected and banned. Once they get a new KV though they can go on again...and get banned within 4 hours.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You will not encounter much resistance to the "It's just my opinion that if you pirate your games, you have no right to play those games online" line beyond a quasi philosophical debate but the "and [once the would be freeloaders are gone] all will be well" (assuming I am not reading too much into it the implication being the sudden removal of those who might not have paid full whack will then in turn see XBL become a relatively nice place to be) might cause a few wayward glances or worse.

As for hacked lobbies I might have understated that one- there are still a handful of methods but they are not as widely distributed as some of the earlier iterations (although that amounted to run slightly older version of rebooter) not to mention MS have clamped down hard on it. Also there is the odd hacked lobby run from a more or less stock box (something with a disc swap hack). Not to mention some of the titles have LAN play which sends it into VPN territory and way outside live. "4 hours" was down to somewhat less at a few points.

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
FAST6191 said:
You will not encounter much resistance to the "It's just my opinion that if you pirate your games, you have no right to play those games online" line beyond a quasi philosophical debate but the "and [once the would be freeloaders are gone] all will be well" (assuming I am not reading too much into it the implication being the sudden removal of those who might not have paid full whack will then in turn see XBL become a relatively nice place to be) might cause a few wayward glances or worse.

As for hacked lobbies I might have understated that one- there are still a handful of methods but they are not as widely distributed as some of the earlier iterations (although that amounted to run slightly older version of rebooter) not to mention MS have clamped down hard on it. Also there is the odd hacked lobby run from a more or less stock box (something with a disc swap hack). Not to mention some of the titles have LAN play which sends it into VPN territory and way outside live. "4 hours" was down to somewhat less at a few points.
As far as modded lobbies go all JTAG based lobbies are gone due to the fact JTAGs can't go on XBL anymore (except for a few people with a private method). MW2 had infection lobbies for awhile but they have been patched. Disc based modded lobbies, such COD World at War still work, I was just hosting one today actually.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I was misunderstood. I have a Jtag for single player and local multiplayer only. I have a 100% legit 360 (not even flashed) for online play. This forces me to buy the games I really like and to makes sure the developers get a slice of the proverbial pie. I may be a pirate, but that does not mean I like cheaters.

As far as Germinglish, if that was directed to me, I do not speak a lick of German despite my screen name (which happend to be my surname). I am still trying to wrap my head around the fact that my comment could be considered a non native language considering I am only fluent in US english.

Back on topic: What I meant by my previous post was that when it comes to a Jtag, the disc capacity doesn't affect it. Now if they are able to get the disc to recognize files over 4GB, we may have a few problems. Of course, that won't even hold the Jtag back for long.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: idk