Hacking Sadly a clone card owner, just a single question.

masterzero

Trophies
XP
Country
I have a question for you guys: do you have any confirmation of OMEGA update actually reprogramming FPGA via JTAG and not just updating part stored on SPI? Because you don't need JTAG for that and this may be the reason for R4 making decision removing it in first place. So there's still a small hope left.

Maybe, like I said they could have just not answered the mails if they are not going to release anything...

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well with the hardware it looks like we just don't know. It looks like all indications from the knowledgeable think no, and that may have been a cost cutting measure the cloners used to produce a cheaper card.

Just out of curiosity, I wonder how the old M3i Zero card worked? You would just put the firmware on the microSD and then power the card with USB (5v) and it would update itself. So it didn't need a device to reprogram. At any rate if the hardware can't do it then forget about ever updating it as the clone companies are not worried about you or upgrading or any of it. They will likely take a Gateway, update it's FGPA and then 'clone' it and manufacture a new card with the new FGPA code and never worry about how it works or making it work for a previous card. Furthermore they appear to have very little in house coding talent so the likelihood they can do anything with their existing carts is LOW.

I don't know why this would surprise anyone as this has been the racket with clones for a long time. So if you have a clone, I would prepare to purchase a new clone in a month or so. You might want to check out evo3ds.....I hear tell they are going to have all the current Gateway features.....lol.......just buy a damned Gateway people this team has earned our $$$ and semi-respect (sans the bricking of their own users). MT is another option (I have both myself) as we know the card can be updated via usb and they either have a deal with Gateway or have some coders so it may get further support. Still right now we only know one team that brought us flash cart on 3DS, that brought us regionfree, Emunand, exFat, multi-rom in the dashboard, Nand saving, cartridge dumping, eShop hack, and demo videos where we can't tell if the hands are a mans or a women's

These are happy days and I just want to say to all the 'false prophets' Gateway spoke of, many who are on this forum.....you have been PWNED by GATEWAY they are > all you cloners and whiny doubters put together. Just stop denying it and buy their product and join the elite!

PS.....don't go getting all bent out of whack as I meant this in semi-fun, buy what the hell you want but I bought a Gateway on day one and haven't regretted it since so that's my 2 cents.

b00100100

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question for you guys: do you have any confirmation of OMEGA update actually reprogramming FPGA via JTAG and not just updating part stored on SPI? Because you don't need JTAG for that and this may be the reason for R4 making decision removing it in first place. So there's still a small hope left.

What do you mean updating the "part" stored in SPI? The FPGA image can only be reprogrammed via JTAG, however I don't know if Omega did a FPGA reprogram or not.

Small question: What does the FPGA in GW3DS do exactly?

It emulates the pin interface to the 3DS to trick the 3DS into thinking that you inserted that game. If you were to insert Mario Kart 7 retail card into your 3DS, what do the pins of that retail game card do? Well the FPGA makes the exact same toggling as a retail card. it also serves as an interface to the micro SDSH to pull the game card off it.

TLDR - Everything. The FPGA does everything.

b00100100

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm talking about Winbond SPI Flash (Gateway 16mbit, R4i 32mbit).

So I've always considered that a very curious part of that card. I have no idea what the SPI Flash is even used for, because the FPGA has access to the micro SDSH where it pulls data from. Perhaps they like to store statistics or other info there? Or better yet, maybe it is code that the microcontroller on the other side uses? What is puzzling about that SPI flash is I can't think of a single thing they couldnt do inside the FPGA instead, so why add an extra chip and interface?

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So I've always considered that a very curious part of that card. I have no idea what the SPI Flash is even used for, because the FPGA has access to the micro SDSH where it pulls data from. Perhaps they like to store statistics or other info there? Or better yet, maybe it is code that the microcontroller on the other side uses? What is puzzling about that SPI flash is I can't think of a single thing they couldnt do inside the FPGA instead, so why add an extra chip and interface?

The spi flash is where the save game is/was stored for card1 games, before being copied to the 3ds SD card when you done home->exit.

joex11

Trophies
XP
Country
San Marino
So, since we're talking about firmwares:

I posted somewhere else but here maybe I get more answers:

I have 2x 3ds, both I updated to gateway firmware omega since I have a gateway and a r4i deluxe.
I know it won't be a definite answer since anything can happen, but are the chances big that I won't be able to use r4i card now that I've updated gateway FPGA even when r4i releases their own firmware?
Because if that's what's going to happen, then I'll have to start thinking about selling r4i and getting another gateway...

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
but are the chances big that I won't be able to use r4i card now that I've updated gateway FPGA even when r4i releases their own firmware?

How does that make any sense? That's like saying that you won't be able to use your 3DS because someone gave you a Vita for Christmas.

Reactions: bkifft

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello people,
just before everyone starts blaming me and to every clone card owner, Is it possible for R4i to update their "firmware" to the newest firmare 2.0? I saw something about a FPGA update, not sure how that works, but from I saw its not possible to make it work in a clone card, is this real?

Please again, just answer the question, I already know that I should have bought the GW card from the beginning, but its hard to get one in Mexico, I had to buy the fuc#"$ clone card. So please people, be kind, and only answer the question. Once that is clear, moderators can close this thread to prevent stupid posts.

Thanks in advance.

I doubt it buddy because GW have implemented a way of having to update the actual card itself to stop clones etc.. so I cannot see any other cards/makes being able to copy the 2.1 Firmware tbh. It seems to me virtually impossible I would of thought. This new CFW by GW must have makers like MT-Card etc.. very worrying a lot, cause I cannot see now what they can do to further there cards/makes.

b00100100

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The spi flash is where the save game is/was stored for card1 games, before being copied to the 3ds SD card when you done home->exit.

That's weird... Seems like a better idea would be to write that data out to the micro SDSH card. I understand that might have been more difficult prior to the latest 2.0 Omega and 2.1 releases- However seems like it might be a better idea now. Then they can stop populating that SPI Flash and save themselves the cost of the part on future kits.

masterzero

Trophies
XP
Country
Considering they didn't/couldn't disable the brick code, what makes you think they've suddenly picked up the skills to remove that check instead?

Like we posted 1 page before , we have gotten some email answers from r4 team. I don't think they have a need for lying if they couldn't keep going as they could just ignore people and done..

masterzero

Trophies
XP
Country
Really? I'm sure that at least at some point, they stated on their website that further updates would be developed by them.

for lying right now , and it's pretty obvious that's a lie when they are called CLONES lol .
Still no prob if they can't keep going , , with the amount of games playable right now , something cheaper will come that will have even more features before I finish them off

Mr_Pichu

かわいいね!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as clone cards go, I think it is safe to assume GW Omega is a new kind of animal. That is not to say the clone cards can't be updated, but it may take a hardware hack to do it, developed by either the cloner or the scene. Even without an update to the FPGA, skillful clone coders could eventually build some subset of GW's functionality. There will be much renewed effort when a new exploit fully surfaces.

lambstone

No. Nyet. 不. Non. Nein.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
As far as clone cards go, I think it is safe to assume GW Omega is a new kind of animal. That is not to say the clone cards can't be updated, but it may take a hardware hack to do it, developed by either the cloner or the scene. Even without an update to the FPGA, skillful clone coders could eventually build some subset of GW's functionality. There will be much renewed effort when a new exploit fully surfaces.

To me it sounds like there's way too much effort for these two clone cards makers. Chances are, they'll just create a different flash cart altogether. But hey, what do I know? I can't tell the future.

Reactions: Mr_Pichu

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    T @ Texasauras: helppppppppppppppppppppppp