Scene dev Zecoxao teases new $3 modchip for the OLED Nintendo Switch, involves a Raspberry Pi

asddasdsa.png

Scene developer Zecoxao might be known for their contributions to the PlayStation hacking world, but this time around, they've got something major for the Nintendo scene. The longtime scener teased the existence of what they claim to be a $3 modchip for the Nintendo Switch, and which is said to work with Mariko and OLED systems, though not patched Erista consoles. A teaser video was also uploaded, where the modchip itself was revealed to be a Raspberry Pi--specifically, a RP2040 Zero unit, soldered into the Switch board, demonstrating Hekate launching on an OLED unit.

Given the tease of "coming soon", we can expect to see more details about the exploit eventually.

Failed to fetch tweet https://twitter.com/notzecoxao/status/1602079473628856320

Failed to fetch tweet https://twitter.com/notzecoxao/status/1602199810358083587

Chonay

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Guatemala
at least 3 sizes: Original/Clone Zero (huge), Waveshare Zero (small, as on pictures in this project), Seeed Xiao (even smaller (and less pins))
In aliexpress I found one for 2.26 USD, the truth is that it is very cheap, plus shipping is almost 4 USD, I would buy in mass or at least 2 or 3 to test this, but we need proof that it is functional, so less functional. Bugs are already being brought in because they can be resolved with the help of the communities as has been done with atmos and tx, but first we need the project.
Post automatically merged:

In aliexpress I found one for 2.26 USD, the truth is that it is very cheap, plus shipping is almost 4 USD, I would buy in mass or at least 2 or 3 to test this, but we need proof that it is functional, so less functional. Bugs are already being brought in because they can be resolved with the help of the communities as has been done with atmos and tx, but first we need the project.
Well, reviewing the entire thread, we already have the connection points, we only need the code that will run the module, I found one in another thread but it is not with another module model, although it has the same connection points, I don't know If the code of that module would work with the rp2040 zero

Reactions: SylverReZ

marhalloweenvt

Trophies
XP
Country
RP2040 is really easy to implement and cost-effective. In my previous projects, I made some pcb smaller than waveshare one to fit in really tiny space. Down side of RP2040 is it doesn't have internal flash or EEPROM memory, we have to use another w25q128 for flash memory.

LibreNyaa

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
librenyaa.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
I'm decent when it comes to stuff like fusee or software mods, but for something like this, is it usually presold ready to go in or will we have to buy the RP2040 and then prepare it ourselves? I assume RP2040 will be a bit hard to come by once this is ready, so I'm not sure if I should get one now or not.

randy_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just saying, can we just be more patient instead of rushing to buy a handful of rp2040 zero boards online?

To begin with, I don't think rp2040 zero board would fit inside the oled even with buttons/usb port removed since you have very little clearance between the ram shield and back metal plate. The PCB is at least 2x thick compared to hwfly, plus rp2040 zero board has smd components on both sides (rp2040 mcu and crystal on one side, SPI flash on the other side).

If you must get your hands on a rp2040 dev board now, I'd say Adafruit qtpy rp2040 is a better choice:
1671103198174.png

All essential components (SPI flash, mcu and crystal) are on the same side of the board, everything on the other side can be removed (components for 3.3v voltage regulator, led, buttons and connectors). It's also smaller than rp2040 zero.

I'd just wait for someone to make a specialized board for switch modding with thinner pcb, usb connector on a ribbon cable (like hwfly), better component layout and a connector for soc ribbon cable.

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
I assume RP2040 will be a bit hard to come by once this is ready, so I'm not sure if I should get one now or not.
This specific board might be unavailable for a short period of time but the RP2040 MCU is available in large quantities. So don't worry. They have more than enough to produce new boards.

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This specific board might be unavailable for a short period of time but the RP2040 MCU is available in large quantities. So don't worry. They have more than enough to produce new boards.
We don't know if the dev is going to release the source or not, it's just a matter of waiting before we all scavenger these.

Chonay

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Guatemala
We don't know if the dev is going to release the source or not, it's just a matter of waiting before we all scavenger these.
I don't know, but look, if the developer asks me for the collaboration of 5 or 10 usd, I'll give it to them, it's better to pay that than pay the 90 or 100 usd that the hwfly cost

Reactions: SylverReZ

Chonay

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Guatemala
You're working with the developer, right?
I would like to, hahahaha, but what I mean is that if the developer charges at least 5 usd each for the code, at least that is how they are motivated and I think that most of us here would pay for the code, but what if find a way to make the code read-only. I think I'm getting too winded, the point is that if the developer asks the community for a collaboration, I think the right thing to do would be to support him because he's honestly doing magic using that RP to run the hack hahahahaha

r1vver

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
In deleted post several posts earlier, there was a proposal to completely throw out the game cartridge module.
And to place the rp2040 module there.
The logic is clear, a real filibuster does not need cartridges.
The only bad thing is that on the same module, as I remember, there is also a headphone output. At least in case of "heavy" Switch. I don't know how it is with Switch Light.

Chonay

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Guatemala
Schrödingers Modchip
Sorry, but I got lost with that last one, what do you mean by "schrodinger", or is it some reference to something funny? Hahahaha because I noticed that you are very joking

In deleted post several posts earlier, there was a proposal to completely throw out the game cartridge module.
And to place the rp2040 module there.
The logic is clear, a real filibuster does not need cartridges.
The only bad thing is that on the same module, as I remember, there is also a headphone output. At least in case of "heavy" Switch. I don't know how it is with Switch Light.
It would be a great idea, and well with the 3.5 connector, it can be solved with some adaptation or the best we could do is unsolder the cartridge reader since it is the one that occupies most of that area and thus continue with the 3.5 connector. , but it is worth seeing how the lite and oled are designed

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Sorry, but I got lost with that last one, what do you mean by "schrodinger", or is it some reference to something funny? Hahahaha because I noticed that you are very joking

It would be a great idea, and well with the 3.5 connector, it can be solved with some adaptation or the best we could do is unsolder the cartridge reader since it is the one that occupies most of that area and thus continue with the 3.5 connector. , but it is worth seeing how the lite and oled are designed
Wow.. here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrödinger's_cat

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one +1