Scene dev ChrisPVille showcases RP2040 optical drive emulator for the GameCube

F1MnPe7XoAEA3k_.jpg

A recent post by scene dev ChrisPVille, who has been delving into GameCube hardware for a long time, says they are currently working with TeamOffBroadway and trevorrudolph on what is said to be a $5 solderless ODE for the Nintendo GameCube. They claim that the modchip will feature loading games from either an SD card or local WiFi connection, a built-in configuration menu, and faster loading times than the majority of storage adapters such as the SD2SP2 and SD Gecko. A teaser video was uploaded, followed by a few photos of the device in action. Its supposed release date is at the end of 2023

QUICK UPDATE: Macho Nacho has recently posted a video review on the FlippyDrive emulator. It is now in the final production phase, where review units have been shipped off to many creators to try it before its release date. In other news, they are working on an ethernet add-on for the FlippyDrive.

GitHub page

Last edited by SylverReZ,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yeah I already bought the GCLoader a couple years ago and love it and even if it was $ at least it wasn't $$$. Have you seen how much Saturn ODE's cost?!?! These guys need to tackle that console.
ODDE’s and flashcarts for retro consoles are generally quite expensive because a lot of times it’s easier to just use an FPGA for a very limited run item like this and charge accordingly. Even if it’s a CPLD you’re still making a custom board for the thing. Anything more dedicated is off the table, nobody uses custom ASIC’s spun in a Chinesium factory unless it’s something mass produced, like an R4 - the market just doesn’t justify the cost. If the board is off-the-shelf and all you’re selling is an adapter and some software, you can cut that price tag down to the absolute minimum. In all fairness, a Fenrir will set you back around a hundred buckazoids and you don’t *really* need one since the Saturn has security measures easily defeated by a piece of tape. That’s really not that far off the cost of a GCLoader for a significantly more niche product that less people are likely to buy. I get the pricing, but if we can throw a Pi at the problem then I’m all for it.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
How different the wii and gc dvd drivers are from a technical standpoint? The wii ones can read gamecube mini DVDs (or whatever it was called), so a fully functional opensource ODE may help the community to develop a wii ODE?

(not that we need a wii ODE, but it would still be awesome)
Yes, in fact (we have imperfect but pretty good and available Wii ODEs, they're called CIOS, and) you can use a Wii drive on a GC, it's just a matter of adapting connectors, exactly because the Wii is a major but incremental upgrade on the GC including on that point!

...and that's what some people actually did when the WODE was "cheap" surplus and the GC scene about as active as the DSi scene in 2015 :P

Reactions: SylverReZ

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
In all fairness, a Fenrir will set you back around a hundred buckazoids and you don’t *really* need one since the Saturn has security measures easily defeated by a piece of tape.

I'd still go for an ODE for Saturn since the lasers will eventually die. At some point I'd like to switch all of my retro consoles to a driveless method for this reason alone, main reason I haven't is either due to cost (MCD), lack of skill/compatibility (PS1) or a mixture (GC).

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
How different the wii and gc dvd drivers are from a technical standpoint? The wii ones can read gamecube mini DVDs (or whatever it was called), so a fully functional opensource ODE may help the community to develop a wii ODE?

(not that we need a wii ODE, but it would still be awesome)
Similar enough that Wii ODEs work on GameCube. Literally the one thing they changed was the password used to unlock the DVD read commands. People were using WiiKey Fusion and Wode ODEs on GC before the GC had its own ODE.

Alagara

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well this looks like fun! I wonder why we don't see stuff like this for the WiiU though. Would be nice since the 'cube games run on it.

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to keep my eyes on this project so I don't miss preorders if/when they become available...
Hard to do since I've stopped using Twitter but hopefully I don't miss out.
Don't worry, you won't miss out on anything. :D
I'll try to keep this thread updated with any news that come out.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
Now that is a very unique method, I hope they bring over more Swiss features, patching would be great.

Price is perfect compared to other ode solutions
as far as I know, the thing is swiss compatible out of the box, so makes sense use swiss and not the stock OS, this is especially true for those on LED panels that rely one way or another on things that use GC Video.

SodaSoba

‿︵‿︵‿︵ヽ(°□° )ノ‿︵‿︵‿︵‿
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
as far as I know, the thing is swiss compatible out of the box, so makes sense use swiss and not the stock OS, this is especially true for those on LED panels that rely one way or another on things that use GC Video.
The software/loader is a runtime patching framework like swiss is judging from what I've read up on X.

the ODE and the way it functions feels a lot more OG than how Swiss feels that has an appeal to me, but seeing there is a button on power on to load GC firmware over the ode I guess there will be a way to load various ipls like picoboot.

Chrispville was working on a IPL boot/mod chip before the picoboot dropped if my memory serves me correctly, so I assume (possibly incorrectly) that project mutated into this.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I mean this seem to be one of the best methods for running homebrew and backups. Since it's cheap and plug n play. Hopefully they make an FTP plugin or Samba so you can access the sd card to upload more to it. Or I guess booting Swiss works to do that?

SodaSoba

‿︵‿︵‿︵ヽ(°□° )ノ‿︵‿︵‿︵‿
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I mean this seem to be one of the best methods for running homebrew and backups. Since it's cheap and plug n play. Hopefully they make an FTP plugin or Samba so you can access the sd card to upload more to it. Or I guess booting Swiss works to do that?
They have a discord which I guess they're taking suggestions.
In the nacho video he mentioned a front end/web selfhost? that works with the onboard esp

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
  • I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu:
    i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub:
  • Sheeba- @ Sheeba-:
    I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro
    Sheeba- @ Sheeba-: I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro